Windows 10 debackle

Interestingly, my Windoze 10 computer just dumped on me. I got a series of messages telling me I had been assigned a temporary local account, and now it refuses to boot. Since I'm a little under the weather, I think I'll wait until I feel better before I tackle that problem. All it's used for is a handful of games, and watching movies when my wife is watching something on the tv anyway.

Terry you are the closest man I know to the biblical Job, I know God loves you. Reread the story of Job, it will make you feel better. I've done that, nobody had it as bad as that guy. His problems make ours pale in comparison.

I hope you feel better soon.

Now that the 29th is done and dusted, you'll all be pleased to know (those not up?graded that is) that that annoying white square in your systems tray is also no longer and the original icon is back.

Well, an interesting development here. After all the dust settled, it turns out the computer updated itself to a brand-new version of Windows 10 last night. Not sure what new features it has, as that will only be available after I buy a new activation key for $119.99 through the Microsoft Store. It was activated yesterday, but not today. Conveniently just after the free upgrade ended.

The best thing about Windows 10 as far as I'm concerned is the free upgrade offer has expired and I don't have to keep dealing with the pop up offer. I was perfectly happy with XP for years until the computer crapped out. My current replacement is a Dell running 7 Pro and no complaints. W10??, no thanks! If it ain't broke don't fix it!

The conversation has strayed a little BUT is interesting none the less. Seems as though the support for win 10 is about the same as the support you get for XP from microsucks, not a whole lot. I know that I will be sticking with 7 pro until it becomes a non - event and will then convert to Linux rather than put another cent in the pockets of microsucks.

Different strokes etc...

All of my computers (7) updated to W10 without incident and I'm quite happy with the result.

Frederick

I don't understand.

What do you mean by "rounds"?

Frederick

Ah, must be location specific. Means travelling around for a purpose, in this case, fixing up others problems with W10. Has another application "getting in the rounds" which refers to getting the drinks for a group in a bar or pub.

Hi,

OK got what you meant.

So far W10 has proved trouble free.

There was only one application that the upgrade process failed to flag. The vendor soon released an updated version which then played nice with W10.

Frederick

The best thing about Windows 10 as far as I'm concerned is the free upgrade offer has expired and I don't have to keep dealing with the pop up offer. I was perfectly happy with XP for years until the computer crapped out. My current replacement is a Dell running 7 Pro and no complaints. W10??, no thanks! If it ain't broke don't fix it!

I think you hit the nail on the head Mike. NO MORE POP UPS. I am stuck with Windows 10 on my work computer because my old one puked out and Win 10 was all that was available. I will stick with my Win 7 as long as I can.

I am willing to bet that MS support for Windows 8 will be history by winter and MS users will have to purchase Windows 10.

I installed Windows 10 and so far so good.

Some nice features and several that I do not care for at all.

Thanks.

Greg

I am willing to bet that MS support for Windows 8 will be history by winter and MS users will have to purchase Windows 10.

Thanks.

Greg

Hi,

My feelings are similar.

JOOC what don't you like?

I still like having a "normal" start menu and installed StarDock Start10 on all of the machines.

Frederick

Thanks.

Greg

That is true IF you still buy computers off the shelf, then you don't have the choice of OS. Just because microsucks stops supporting an OS doesn't mean it will no longer work. Sure you may not have all of the superfluous stuff that ms keeps adding to appease the "modern generation" BUT your PC will still work. As some have mentioned, they still OS's as far back as XP and their systems work fine.

I'll go one step further, with the exception of installing SP1 on 7 Pro, I have never updated my system and it runs as good, if not better than my wife's primary system that does get updated on a regular basis.

Bottom line, especially where ms is concerned, newer doesn't make it better, in most cases it makes it worse Vista, 8 and to a lesser extent 8.1.

I have two 8 year old Dell OptiPlex 755 desktop computers at home running Windows 7 64 bit but the available hard drive space was not sufficient to allow an upgrade. I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO and burned it to a disk so I could install it clean on bigger hard drives but after the install was complete, there were no drivers for the wireless cards inside so they could not connect to Microsoft or be useful, so I put the old hard drives back in and they are still running Windows 7. It may be that even though I installed Windows 10 on them before the deadline, since they couldn't communicate with MS, they may not be registered. Considering how old those desktop PC's are, and Win 7 support lasts through January 2020, they will be around 11 years old by then and need replacing anyway.

The other two computers we have are laptops which are probably between 2-3 years old. Those upgrade from 7 to 10 ok from what I can tell and are working ok. I don't care for how MS re-arranges everything so I may look for a Win 7 legacy shell. We'll see.

We live in a world where hackers are always trying to compromise your computer. If you use an O/S which is no longer supported and getting security updates and patches, then you are more vulnerable to exploitations. Yes, even if you have a patched system, it isn't 100% safe, but the odds of getting hacked or exploited are lower if you keep it patched. In the IT world, that is the mantra, patch patch and more patch.

Sure, you may have been lucky so far but if you are plugging into the internet with an O/S that is no longer supported, you are exposing yourself to risk, plain and simple. Best at minimum make sure you regularly back up your important files to an external drive so you don't loose anything important; which is good advice anyway cause even if you don't get exploited or hacked, your hard drive could crash and you loose everything that way.

Sure, I agree that there seems to be the, every other version of Windows stinks phenomenon. The agency I work for skipped Vista and windows 8 and used XP, then 7 and will be going to 10 at some point in the near future.

As far as the gripes go, this is how it has gone for ages with Windows - since the early 1990's anyway (earlier probably) so if Microsoft "sucks" then get something else. Problem solved. If you have to refer to a company with disparaging terms, then maybe you should switch to another and be less frustrated. There are O/S's - Apple, Unix and even Google is now offering an O/S alternative to Windows type computers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back