Windex worked...but thinner did not

AllenB

I was trying to thin out some acrylic paints to dull down a black hopper. I took a bit of thinner and added a drop of acrylic white paint and it was like oil and water! So then I did the same thing with Windex and it worked...not sure why though. Turned out great!

I was trying to thin out some acrylic paints to dull down a black hopper. I took a bit of thinner and added a drop of acrylic white paint and it was like oil and water! So then I did the same thing with Windex and it worked...not sure why though. Turned out great!

You can't use what we call solvents to thin any type of acrylic based paints as they (the paints) are water based. Windex is classified as a water based chemical and will mix with acrylic paints, windshield washer fluid also works and is very cheap, rubbing alcohol also works.

Solvents are used for enamel and lacquer based paints but each must use the proper type of thinner.

Jim

Wow..never again will I thin with water.

Water will work but the others mentioned seem to work better, Tamiya makes a retarder for acrylic paint that seems to work well, it allows the paint to settle (smooth out) prior to drying. About 4-5 drops per 1/8-1/4 ounce works for me.

Jim

I used to be able to get this windshield washer fluid that was clear, no blue color. It worked great. Not sure what was in it, but it let the paint flow.

I have had a few issues with the blue colored fluid. Not sure of the brand but it was the cheapest on the shelf.

I have had good results with alcohol, distilled water. Micheal's has this stuff called flow control, it is a retardant for water based paints. Lets it flow before flashing off. If you use a brush, it really helps to keep the brush marks down.

Buzz.

Becareful when thinning white, or clear finishes going over white. I've found the blue Windex will actually give the finish that same blue tint !

Mark.

Cheap vodka works well with acrylics. One for you, one for the model, one for you one for the model, .......

Back