Will this work?

RRnewby

Hello everyone.
I recently bought a Walthers ho trainset through their website and realized I didn't have the space. I visited Trains and Such where I live and they suggested I switch to N scale, in order for me to have a layout in a 2x4 space. I'm considering trading in the ho set for n, while I could always return it to Walthers for an n scale set. I also have my brothers Fleischmann trainset my parents bought while they were stationed in Germany in the mid 1960s. The set was made in the US zone and the power controller is set for 110v 50-60hz 13va, with the exception of the European plug. I'm also curious to see if the Fleischmann train would run using the MRC railpower 1300 that came with the Walthers set, but the last thing I want is to see a big cloud of smoke after I set everything up.
Thanks

If they're both DC with the same voltage output (probably up to 13 or 14 volts), then yes, they should be interchangeable. If, however, the Fleischmann power pack is AC, I wouldn't suggest any experimentation ;)

Thanks for the tip, and I'll look at the Fleischmann power pack to see if its interchangeable. I made the switch to N scale yesterday and started setting it up. I broke in the locomotive today as per the instructions and added the rolling stock, running the train at slow speed making sure I didn't have a derailment. I noticed a loose spring on a coupling on a boxcar and I'll fix that soon. I have my layout on a regular table but I want to move it to a more permanent and flatter spot.

I haven't figured out what I'll be modelling yet. I've checked the Fleischmann power pack and I can't find out if its AC or DC as either of these two letters aren't visible. There are two symbols on the pack and I'm thinking these are electrical symbols. I surfed the 'net tonight and came up empty even though I found similar packs on ebay, and the seller didn't write a full description. I need to finish an email to a company I wrote to years ago about this, and I didn't know the pack was 110v. The company dealing with European trains mentioned an MRC powerpack and ho track in my past email.

Back