Will I Be Forced Into 3-Rail?

Brakeman Hal

With my choice in O-Scale 2-Rail locomotives drying up, I might have to consider 3-Rail, but only if flex track were available, because I have large curves, up to 50", which is 100" diameter.

I see that 3-Rail O-Scale (gauge) engines and rolling stock have just as much detail and realism as my 2-rail, except for the unprototypical track.

Do any of you 3-Railers use flex track?

Brakeman Hal

It would not be that difficult to add a third rail to your existing track.
Is it still my understanding that you have no turnouts?

What is the code height of your present rail - need to know for loco and car wheel flange depth?
I have about 100 feet of code 125 nickel silver rail that could be used for a third rail!

With my choice in O-Scale 2-Rail locomotives drying up, I might have to consider 3-Rail, but only if flex track were available, because I have large curves, up to 50", which is 100" diameter.

Do any of you 3-Railers use flex track?
Short answer on the flex track is, no I do not. BUT Atlas does currently make it (item 6056). Several vendors also make large radius curves even in sections. For example I have Atlas Century Line sections of O-90, O-99, and O-108 size curves. Where the number is the DIAMETER of the circle.

Last edited:
The code of my present 130 feet of Atlas 7056 flex track is 148, but it measures .150" to .160" in rail height. I would not want to go to the trouble of laying a 3rd rail, because much of my layout is inaccessible, and I am now cursed with arthritis in my hands and shoulders, so the best thing for me is to continue looking in EBAY and Dealers for a Steam Locomotive.

I removed my 2 turnouts, which cost me $100 each, not to mention the $800 cost of my 2-rail flex track!

In the meantime I have my 2 GP35 engines with great performance and sound.

Thanks for all suggestions.
Hal (85 this summer)

Last edited:
well, there is a lot more choice in 3 rail, but
i would send a 2 rail loco off to get decals, and if necessary, add a DCC decoder ..
it's a bit more work, but definitely saves time ..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an MTH 4-6-2 Pacific that has wonderful sound system with 20 effects, including changing the volume while running. The problem is it doesn't run!

I paid $800 for this engine, which has the PRR road name, but I could put Santa Fe decals on the tender to make it right. All I have to do is find a repair shop who handles the advanced MTH decoders.

I do not wish to resort to tearing out my 130 feet of 2-rail, which cost me $900 for 45 flex-track sections. I'm a purist, with a heritage going back to the early 1940's when my Dad was a fireman on PRR Consolidations and Mikados. I will never go back to an unprototypical track!

As always, I thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations!

Brakeman Hal
IMG_0723.JPG

If I could find a repair shop that would make my MTH 4-6-2 Pacific O-scale 2-Rail loco serviceable again, my troubles would be over!

The engine has a DCS decoder with Full Sound effects. When setting it on the track and applying power, it moves only 1/16 inch or less, then stalls.

Hal

Last edited:

Back