If you are referring to me giving misconceptions, that simply isn’t true. My post was in reference to BlueRail and EZ-App which I have experience but was not directed towards LocoFi or others which I do not have experience with.

@Bigboy57 No. Absolutely not! We apologize if it came across that way. That was certainly not our intention.

Our post wasn't referring to anyone in particular. It did appear at one point that LocoFi was assumed to be using Bluetooth which you later corrected yourself. If you notice, our post doesn't mention Bluetooth at all.

In fact, our post tries to draw distinction between uni-directional commands that may first be sent over WiFi and then converted and sent onto rails versus a direct bi-directional direct WiFi communication. The direct consequence of this is that the communication becomes power agnostic which is a great option for those DC modelers who have always wanted to go digital but haven't due to the extra wiring, specialized equipment, learning electronics or CV programming and other complexity involved with DCC.

Please note that we do not want to start an argument as everyone has their choices. The original poster had asked a question with regards to LocoFi as a choice but the provided answers did not reflect what LocoFi was about. We have only tried to clear that up. Thank you.

I actually felt bad about my initial response after re-reading it later. I felt like I kind of inadvertently hijacked the thread, which was not my intent at all. When I read the Wi-Fi heading, my brain apparently went directly to Bluetooth, which was totally incorrect on my part. To you and the op, please accept my most humble apology.

Just a personal comment from a person with graduate training in conflict management and analysis: it is very reassuring to see grownups working through misinformation and miscommunications to find commonality and agreement. If nothing else is settled about the matter, it gives onlookers an excellent example, by good role models, of how adults should communicate when they can't discuss a matter in person, looking each other's face in the eyes to read tone and mood, and not saying rude things almost impossible to take back. My compliments to you.

I actually felt bad about my initial response after re-reading it later. I felt like I kind of inadvertently hijacked the thread, which was not my intent at all. When I read the Wi-Fi heading, my brain apparently went directly to Bluetooth, which was totally incorrect on my part. To you and the op, please accept my most humble apology.
No worries. We are all good. :D Thank you for being so forthcoming. We appreciate it. Things happen. :D

Last edited:
We @LocoFi are writing to clear some of the misconceptions and questions raised in these discussions.

LocoFi™ uses direct bi-directional WiFi communication between the throttle and the module. DCC over WiFi is one way communication that goes through intermediary devices and eventually through the rails to the decoder.

LocoFi™ app comes with one of the best tactile feedback out there. It has been independently acknowledged in reviews from some of the top model railroad magazines. You only have to look at the screen to check the speed just like in a real train. Throttle notches not only provide haptic control but sound for each change of notch!

Consisting is as easy as 1-2-3 with LocoFi™ and it's always advanced!

LocoFi™ used WiFi as the underlying technology. Theoretically, no limit as to the number of trains you can have in a single network.

WiFi is supported by the whole world. Only DC trains run on DC layouts and only DCC trains run on DCC layouts. LocoFi™ equipped engines run on DC and DCC layouts just as simply along with other trains. Track voltage is not a limitation either. 7V - 24V is supported and yet maintain scale speeds!

Loco configuration is all GUI based with touchscreen toggles and sliders that makes it super easy and fun. No programming of cryptic CV bits and bytes.

Best of all, there's no specialized equipment like boosters, command stations, special wiring, special power supplies, computers or other extra electronics add ons.

LocoFi™ requires only a module in the loco!

Hope that helps. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have.
Once again, until the NMRA accepts them and authorizes the system and the model manufactures fit them ex factory, alternatives to DCC will remain niche proprietary products. DCC itself is not what it was over all the DCC decoders that are produced by the different makers in that the standard for which function number does what got stuck at about #8, so that now we a plethora of added on ones that have become different as to what they do between makers. Sure you can remap your controller etc, etc. but that is tiresome. If anything kills DCC it will be that because the NMRA didn't keep up with the hobby's developments. Much more standardization should have been continued. Maybe they didn't because they thought something better would come along beforehand. Locomotives after all only have so many prototype functions to need function numbers for. What they will fill up 21 pins with, I have no idea.

Once again, until the NMRA accepts them and authorizes the system and the model manufactures fit them ex factory, alternatives to DCC will remain niche proprietary products. DCC itself is not what it was over all the DCC decoders that are produced by the different makers in that the standard for which function number does what got stuck at about #8, so that now we a plethora of added on ones that have become different as to what they do between makers. Sure you can remap your controller etc, etc. but that is tiresome. If anything kills DCC it will be that because the NMRA didn't keep up with the hobby's developments. Much more standardization should have been continued. Maybe they didn't because they thought something better would come along beforehand. Locomotives after all only have so many prototype functions to need function numbers for. What they will fill up 21 pins with, I have no idea.
One function will probably be a reminder to turn the power/lights off 🤣

Apologies, couldn't resist.

Last edited:
Only DC trains run on DC layouts and only DCC trains run on DCC layouts.
That is not correct. Most DCC decoders support DC operation now, and although it's not terrific performance-wise, it has been possible to run DC locomotives on a DCC layout since the earliest versions of the standard, using pulse-stretching.

That is not correct. Most DCC decoders support DC operation now, and although it's not terrific performance-wise, it has been possible to run DC locomotives on a DCC layout since the earliest versions of the standard, using pulse-stretching.
We stand corrected. You can see, obviously we are not DCC gurus :oops:. But then we look up to inputs from experts like you. Thank you. 🙏

Back