Why They Run Locomotives Back to Back & Distributed Power to Consist

beiland

Really good video from an obviously very knowledgeable fellow.

Covers a number of other subjects rather than just that in the title of this subject thread.

Neat looking CSX executive train in B&O colors

So everyone who viewed these videos already knew this info,..so no comments about it or other info on these videos?

Distributed Power​

A video from that same fellow that differentiates 'distributed power' verses the older MU connections in loco consist.

(pardon me but I'm learning something about multiple loco lashups)

The original purpose of DP was to eliminate helpers in mountainous territory. On the UP the original implementation was in the Blue Mountains. They were limited by drawbar forces to 50 car trains. That limited the amount of tonnage that could be put over the Blue Mountains. By implementing DP they were able to double the capacity of the line without increasing the number of crews.

Later DP was applied to bulk trains. The last trains to be DP'd were manifest and intermodal trains. The longest train operated by the UP was 18,000 ft long test run and ran from Dallas to Los Angeles. It had 4 sets of 3 engines, spaced 6000 ft apart.

So everyone who viewed these videos already knew this info,..so no comments about it or other info on these videos?
I am sure that they are both very good videos. Unfortunately I don't really have time to view a 22+ minute video. The second one is even longer!

I understand what you are saying Willie. I do find that a lot of train videos are very long looks at somebody's train running around a layout. They can be pretty boring and uninformative.

I did find these videos informative and not too boring. ;)

Back