Why not give it away?

I've been on forums(high school) where just about everyone on the forum knew each other from our high school days. We use to trade old LP's, cassettes, Cd's, 8 tracks, & books, but there was always someone that would keep everything they received & never send anything in return. We later found that the person that was scamming us out of our possesions wasn't the person they said they were. We trusted the woman, because we knew her in high school, but the person on the web was a totally different one. We later found that they were getting all this stuff for free to sell on Ebay. I'm not saying it's going to happen here, but it might.
All the people that has requested me to send them photo's by email have never responded except to find my photo's on other web forums or on their personal web sites. I really don't care what they do w/my layout photo's, but I think I would care if they ask for something & then sold it on Ebay for about 10 times what it's worth.
What do you think?

I don't think a multi-level lending library would work here. If you give something, you should consider it gone and be done with it. If you make a trade, each party should be responsible to let the other know the exact condition the piece is in. Either you will be happy with the trade or you won't and if you aren't, you let the other know right away and give them a chance to make it right or reverse the trade. Selling outright is easier, most places have a 3-day inspection policy/ If the person doesn't like what they bought, they ship it back for a refund of the sale price, but not any shipping charges. Handling fees, like on eBay don't exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leghome
It does feel good to give. I have a friend who has little money and had started to build a layout. I had a lot of extra flex track and sectional track plus several not needed buildings and rolling stock peices. We were in a chat room one night and he was talking about what he wanted to do to his layout. I got his address and sent him all of my spare stuff. When he opened the box his wife bout went nuts cause he spent to much money for RR items they did not need. She sent me a very noice thank you note when she realized what had happened. That really was a great feeling to get the note from her.

Yes, that's exactly what I am talking about.

I still think Chip's idea might work. I don't know if it would be allowed on this forum.

The main purpose would be to give your unneeded items to someone of your own choosing who needs what you have, and WITHOUT EXPECTING ANYTHING IN RETURN! The problem is getting these two people together in an atmosphere of trust.

Any program or procedure can always be corrupted or abused by dishonest individuals. It is an unfortunate fact of human nature. At some point, someone is bound to feel that they were taken advantage of. We are a limited group on this forum (large by model railroad forum standards, but limited), and to a degree we could be self-policing.

Perhaps those of us who are in need of an item could post it on a specific topic thread. Anyone who has items they no longer need can check the thread to see if someone needs what they have. Posters seeking items should make sure their e-mail address is in their profile. It would be up to the donor if they want to GIVE the item to someone, as long as it is understood that NOTHING will be received in return. Simply e-mail the person that you have the item and are willing to send it to them. Remember, as a DONOR, you are GIVING the item away for free. If you don't want to GIVE it away, don't respond to the request. The DONOR must always feel comfortable with making the gift.

I truly believe Chip's idea has a great deal of merit. I am sure there are many members on this forum who have experienced the kindness of others, and I am sure those members would like to offer similar kindnesses to others. Sort of a "Pay It Forward" kind of thing. I call it "Pass It On".

Years ago, LONG before the movie "Pay It Forward" was released, I lived 5 miles out of town. During a huge midwestern blizzard, I had to travel 20 miles to attend my Father's funeral. I would not have made it but for the two guys in a Jeep who cleared a path for me into town, even pulling other people out of drifts as they cleared my way. They would not accept anything from me for the favor they did for me! I vowed to help anyone in a similar situation. Living 5 miles from town, it wasn't long before I had the opportunity to help two elderly ladies whose car had quit just up the road from my house. After helping them, they offered to pay me. I explained what had happened to me and I said, "Yes, I will charge you for my help. The charge is to pass along the favor. Help someone else in need and you will have paid me in full." And thus was born my "Pass It On" program. I help you, you help someone else, they help others.

Can we "Pass It On"? I think we could.

Suggestions? Let's not criticize. Let's work on how we can make this program WORK!

Darrell, verbose, but quiet...for now

Darell,

I think your "Pay it forward" method is the keys. We can't recruit people to give to, but it becomes obvious in conversation when someone could use something you have. Just be open and follow your gut feelings.

I'll make a list of stuff I want to "Give Away" & post it on this thread, soon.
No strings attached. I'll try it. I don't want or need anything in return. Like everyone says, "Just Pass It On". Great Idea. Maybe someone can use my stuff. I'll make the list by Friday of this week.

Larry

Well I guess I will have to take a look at what I don't use or need. Paints and other items are okay also? I say see if Bob would create a "Needs Topic" or something similar, Also I think your trade idea is a valid one too, maybe again there we could get a trade topic also.

As a side note, the Pay It Forward idea is great, as well as that movie was just as great. One of my favorites, I still tear up at the end when I watch it.

Dave and Larry,

Thanks for your offer to post your surplus items. It will be interesting to see if we can make this work.

Remember, this is supposed to be free! Free of charge AND free of misgivings. As Chip says, go with your gut feeling. If it doesn't FEEL right to you, you will never be satisfied that you weren't taken for a ride. If someone posts that they "need" three UP Big Boys to make their layout complete, and somebody actually has three Big Boys that they want to give away, be aware that what you give away in this scenario most likely will end up on e-Bay! (BTW, I "need" three Big Boys to complete my layout! N scale, preferred, but any scale will work for me!!! LOL)

Somebody send me one of those elusive "'round-to-it's" and I'll go through my stuff for surplus items.

Darrell, quiet...for now

Back