Why do I have to log in now ?

PowrCab

Hi.
I recently did a 'powerwash'/system reset on my PC for another problem..It did fix that problem, but now on this forum site and a few others I now have to log in / sign in every day, whereas prior to the reset if I didn't logout I was still logged in the next day. IE. All I had to do was click the bookmark for MTF and there I was..
Would someone who savvies this please tell me how to stay logged in like it was before I did the 'powerwash'.
Thanks

Chrome and Firefox both ask if you want to remember log in/password. For reasons unknown Edge *might* ask - thanks Micro$oft! I know this as I just got done swapping out my in-house PC a few weeks ago.

Hi.
I recently did a 'powerwash'/system reset on my PC for another problem..It did fix that problem, but now on this forum site and a few others I now have to log in / sign in every day, whereas prior to the reset if I didn't logout I was still logged in the next day. IE. All I had to do was click the bookmark for MTF and there I was..
Would someone who savvies this please tell me how to stay logged in like it was before I did the 'powerwash'.
Thanks
You did a system reset....

The way sites remember your login is via a piece of data called a "cookie" that is save on YOUR COMPUTER. Your browser saves the cookie and passes it to the web site to identify you. If you clear/delete those "cookies" either by clearing your browsing data in the browser, or a system reset like you did, you have to log in to all your sites again.

There's no workaround to this, the system reset cleared all that data, you just need to log in to your sites again.

Yes, I do log in..I have to. But the 'stay logged in' feature either isn't present on the different sites, or, if checked off, still doesn't work..
As In this forum, it does have my PCab logo above, after I have signed in..This means I must have an account with MTF. So since I do, why does it keep having me log in when I haven't logged out ? ...

Yes, I do log in..I have to. But the 'stay logged in' feature either isn't present on the different sites, or, if checked off, still doesn't work..
As In this forum, it does have my PCab logo above, after I have signed in..This means I must have an account with MTF. So since I do, why does it keep having me log in when I haven't logged out ? ...
Because like I said, and the others ignored, the key thing is that you did a system reset.

The way the forum knows who you are is by saving a small file on YOUR computer. By doing the system reset, you blew that away.

This isn't an issue with this site. That's just what happens when you reset or clear your cookies. That's how the internet remembers who you are.

Last edited:
Think of it using this analogy:

Accessing your web site is like a room at a hotel.

When you log in, the web site saves a small piece of data to your computer (that it handled by your web browser) that acts like a room key. Your browser presents your room key to the site and it lets you in.

When you did the reset, you threw away all those key cards for every site.

So you have to go to the front desk and replace your key (log back in).

The room doesn't know who you are. It only knows you have the key.

Back