Who will deal with the model railroad when I can't?

logandsawman

As my collection grows and at the same time dealing with issues of my parents ageing and dealing with the various things they have collected over the decades, I would like a plan for what will happen to my stuff.

My great uncle had a massive model railroad collection, and he left it to his daughters. They had no interest in the models, and dismanteled the collection to the best of their ability and got whatever salvage value to the best of their limited knowledge.

My parents are leaving all their stuff much the same, for the siblings to squabble over what to do and how to do it.

Should we be responsible to take care of these details before we depart this world?

Please share your thoughts, thank you, lasm

If any of my kids were to express an interest in this hobby, I might do that; otherwise I might leave my locos and higher-quality rolling stock to younger friends who share this hobby. Failing that, I'll just let whoever is executor (most likely my eldest daughter) dispose of them in any way they find convenient. As for the layout infrastructure, I figure that will end up in a dumpster somewhere. I won't be around so I'm not going to lose much sleep over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have any favorite pieces you can specify that they go to a relative or friend. A larger collection could go to a museum or historical society or perhaps a children's hospital.

I am available for adoption to anyone who has troubles finding benefactors for thier prized MRR inventory :eek:

I think the best solution is to dispose of it all before the need is urgent or before it becomes a burden to someone who will likely feel bad about the whole experience because they knew it was your wish to have the stuff removed and provided to others who might wish to purchase it or simply to acquire it by donation...but they won't have a clue how to go about doing that.

Ideally we'll all go seated on the throne or in 'the saddle', if you follow me, but we hope not to go 'before our time'....precipitously or catastrophically. So, once we reach a certain age and find that gittin' around is tougher, and we cain't see so good, just about then would be the time to contact younger rails and ask them if they want the items, some of them, maybe purchase for a few pennies with the proceeds going to a favourite cause or charity...it's a thought. Prized and rare objects should probably be sold or bequeathed. The layout should be taken apart and either sold or scrapped.

Otherwise, it should be explicitly laid out in your will. It becomes part of the estate if the various items won't default to a living spouse or caretaker. Your executor will have the chores laid out in your will, and getting rid of your lifelong accumulations will have to be part of them...I guess. Personally, my aim is to foresee my demise in sufficient time to spare that person, or my wife if she lives longer than I do, that millstone. Looking at it from the point of view of a widow, apart from losing you, should she also have no practical recourse except to give away or trash all the expensive stuff you bought over time, and which she will rue having to dispose of with no benefit to her or her grandchildren? I wouldn't want my wife to have to face that.

I think the best solution is to dispose of it all before the need is urgent or before it becomes a burden to someone who will likely feel bad about the whole experience because they knew it was your wish to have the stuff removed and provided to others who might wish to purchase it or simply to acquire it by donation...but they won't have a clue how to go about doing that.

Ideally we'll all go seated on the throne or in 'the saddle', if you follow me, but we hope not to go 'before our time'....precipitously or catastrophically. So, once we reach a certain age and find that gittin' around is tougher, and we cain't see so good, just about then would be the time to contact younger rails and ask them if they want the items, some of them, maybe purchase for a few pennies with the proceeds going to a favourite cause or charity...it's a thought. Prized and rare objects should probably be sold or bequeathed. The layout should be taken apart and either sold or scrapped.

Otherwise, it should be explicitly laid out in your will. It becomes part of the estate if the various items won't default to a living spouse or caretaker. Your executor will have the chores laid out in your will, and getting rid of your lifelong accumulations will have to be part of them...I guess. Personally, my aim is to foresee my demise in sufficient time to spare that person, or my wife if she lives longer than I do, that millstone. Looking at it from the point of view of a widow, apart from losing you, should she also have no practical recourse except to give away or trash all the expensive stuff you bought over time, and which she will rue having to dispose of with no benefit to her or her grandchildren? I wouldn't want my wife to have to face that.

That's wisdom Crandell and well said. Nothing but respect sir.

My daughter will have to deal with the D&J Railroad. Ideally, she should just sell it as, a model railroad with house built over it.

Hi LASM,

You bring up a great point. Since I have had numerous brushes with the end and had my last rites twice it is something I have already taken care of the best way I can.

My plan began with a detailed inventory with values. I have carefully packed all the empty boxes from the trains in use. I packed the ones not in use as well. I have all the boxes clearly marked with what is inside.

Then I wrote out instructions for my Son on how to handle everything. He is easy because all he wants is our Coca-Cola Christmas train. I would be happy if my 2 grandsons would split things up on their own. In the event that they can't I include in my inventory who gets first choice of each piece to eliminate any argument based on who I believes likes the piece the most. I have done my best to have duplicates of as many things as possible. I have even added up the total values to be sure it is split evenly.

I also instructed my son to be sure they only take what they will use. The rest he will sell on eBay for is mother. If they find it is too painful or to many disputes I would rather they just donate it to Goodwill and let my wife take the tax deduction. I see Goodwill sells on eBay now. I don't want my trains taking up space and collecting dust.

I would rather have a plan that did not rely so much on my son, but he is a man of integrity and very fair. With me leaving instructions as to who has first choice then only I should be "the bad guy" in the case of a dispute. I never cared much about what people thought of me when I was alive, I certainly won't care when I'm gone. Do your best and forget the rest.

I have seen ads in model railroad magazines by people who buy entire collections. If no one has interest in the model railroad, have the survivors contact people like this and at least they could possible make a few bucks off of all of your hard work and money.

I have a butt-load of hobbies. I have decided when I cannot work on things to my standards I will sell off everything. This goes for the model railroad, science fiction models, RC helicopters, airplanes, sailboats, plastic models and even the 4 foot diameter copy of the Jupiter 2 from Lost in Space... I can always use the cash. The important thing to do is NOT go into denial about your deterioriating skills, eyesight, dexterity. I planned for my model RR to be dismantled so the scenery and turnouts don't mess up the ability to unbolt the 2X8' modules and remove the legs.

I plan for my house to burn down shortly after I die destroying my railroad and making it the stuff of legend.

John Allen:eek:

I have seen ads in model railroad magazines by people who buy entire collections. If no one has interest in the model railroad, have the survivors contact people like this and at least they could possible make a few bucks off of all of your hard work and money.

I was going to suggest the same thing, pick up a copy of Model Railroader magazine and look in the ads in the back pages. Who knows, you might be inspired by the scenes and layouts in the mag.

Those who buy complete collections, I wonder how much they pay? I would expect it to be pennies on the dollar. If that is the case I'd rather give my things to charity if my family does not want to sell them on eBay. I would be happy if someone, anyone enjoyed my trains half as much as I do.

At least on eBay I get what I paid when I sell the occasional item. If I bought it used that is.

I do love the pictures and articles in the trains magazines and the reviews as well!

I have spent a couple months pretty insensely on E-Bay. I may be not as experienced as many, but I am super observant and intense at what I do.

1) Small lots bring the best prices, but will be more work as far as packaging goes. Once you pack a few, however, it will be a smooth operation. Spread the items out over some time. Pre-Christmas may be a good time to sell like new packaged items.

2) Photographs, crisp and clear, from several angles, will bring the best prices.

3) Electronics are best tested and sold either as "runs like new", "operates but makes noise", "works fine", or "does not work".

4) If an experienced and trusted modeller lives nearby, get help in describing the objects.

5) Be as honest as possible.

6) Pay Pal is a good feature to secure payment.

I like E-Bay and if you decide to use this service, I hope this will be helpful information.

Louis is highly credible and consider his recommendations.

lasm

Wow, LASM that is high praise coming from a man of such integrity as yourself. Thank you!

You have almost left me speechless, almost!

I think you know me well enough to know I always have something to say.

I have to agree with you completely about your eBay recommendations. The only thing I would add is; don't over charge for shipping. I don't trust people that over charge for shipping.

Time spent learning is like time with your family; it's not how much time you spend, its the quality that counts!

Those who buy complete collections, I wonder how much they pay? I would expect it to be pennies on the dollar. If that is the case I'd rather give my things to charity if my family does not want to sell them on eBay. I would be happy if someone, anyone enjoyed my trains half as much as I do.

At least on eBay I get what I paid when I sell the occasional item. If I bought it used that is.

I would agree with you entirely on what a dealer is likely to pay, I think Montanan and I were just alerting the OP to this possibility if the relatives weren't willing to take the time and effort to sell them themselves.

Hey King Toot!

I really don't know what they would pay, I was just guessing.

Now that I think of it a dealer maybe the best way to make sure somebody plays with the trains. I would hate to see them not being used.

Hey Paxton1958,

That is a very good idea! being that I am a lone ranger I would have to find one but it is a very good idea!

Back