Who makes an Amtrak Pacific Parlour Car?

ATSFRailfan

Hopeless Santa Fe nut.
Howdy fellow railfans! I am about to take my family on vacation aboard the Amtrak Coast Starlight. We're all really looking forward to it, and I would like to have an HO Pacific Parlour car, which is unique to that train, to add to my superliner consist. I know Overland makes a gorgeous Pacific Parlour car, but the $500.00 price is more than I can swing at the moment. The prototype is a former ATSF Hi-Level lounge car. Since microscale makes decals for the Pacific Parlour car, if I can find a Hi-Level lounge car, I'll be all set! Anyone know if someone makes that car in an affordable plastic version? Thanks ya'll!

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw some in the Walther's Catalog under Passenger Cars ATSF HO -Scale.They had a ATSF Car your Looking For,But I had the 2004 Catalog not the new 2006.Hope you find one.GOOD LUCK

Well, Walthers has the coach and diner cars in the Hi-Level cars, but the lounge car is the one I need. It has windows in the roof above each of the side windows. The coach and diner cars only have the side windows. Maybe the lounge car is out of production or something. I hope not, but it would'nt be the first time I missed out on a run of something I wanted. I totally missed the Athearn Genesis ATSF Super Chief F-7s because I was not doing any model railroading for a couple of years, and was'nt paying attention. Now they're pretty much 99% unobtainium. Oh well. The search goes on.....

And thanks for the reply BNSF4723!

I believe a company called Train Station Products makes the ATSF style 'Superliner' car. They might make a lounge. If you look at the Pacific Parlor car in the the Coast Starlight it has a different roof contour (due to it being nearly 50 years old and of a different maker) and is lower that standard Bombardier supers.

I'm starting to think that the Overland model is the only example being made right now. As best I can tell, the Train Station/Intermountain cars only come in the coach, step-up coach, and diner varieties. No lounge car. At least not right now. It doesn't seem as though they ever made the lounge car, but of that fact I am not entirely certain. It looks like the Overland car is the only game in town, and its an expensive one!

ATSFRailfan said:
As best I can tell, the Train Station/Intermountain cars only come in the coach, step-up coach, and diner varieties. No lounge car.
Detail Assoicates used to make some El Capitan Cars. I used them to fill out my Hallmark set to a full train. I don't know if they made a whole set or only the 72 and 68 seat coaches.

Thanks GandyDancer! I'll check into that. We just got back from our Amtrak trek, and to our disappointment, there was not a Pacific Parlour Car on either the northbound (train 14) or southbound (train 11) parts of our trip. If you want, you can read more about our trip and the maddening treatment Amtrak received at the hands of the U.P. on a thread I posted in the "Train Talk" part of the forum. I hate the U.P. now. :mad:

Back