Who Cares Anyway....!

My Dash-8 and 4-6-4 Hudson often blow their horns/whistles to each other as they pass on the double main line. This while the Dash-8 hauls a truly mixed freight with everything from wooden boxes to modern extended height ones. The Hudson, though, has a nicely matched set of heavy weights.

If the model railroad police give me a ticket for running my SP U50 right next to my Acela and TGVs, they will not be invited back. As Willie Wonka put it, 'Good Day to you, Sir!"

I wonder what it would be like to couple a Dash 8 and a Mikado?

This signature is intended to irritate people.

I wonder what it would be like to couple a Dash 8 and a Mikado?

It's frequent practice to have a diesel behind a steam engine in a heritage/excursion consist, ostensibly to provide braking effort and maybe electrical power to the coaches, but as a precaution as well. These 4 (yes 4) diesels behind UP's #844 over Donner Pass in 2012, I think might have been doing more than that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2c9P_vAezs

It's frequent practice to have a diesel behind a steam engine in a heritage/excursion consist, ostensibly to provide braking effort and maybe electrical power to the coaches, but as a precaution as well. These 4 (yes 4) diesels behind UP's #844 over Donner Pass in 2012, I think might have been doing more than that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2c9P_vAezs

I counted three. Probably enough power to deal with the train and a dead steam locomotive if it became necessary. No northern will get that many cars up that mountain alone so I'm sure they were doing more than providing coach power.

Yes, you're right Alan, 3 it is, the overhead view at Emigrant Gap reveals that. There is at least 1 power car, perhaps 2, plus the tool car that always accompanies a steam engine, so unlikely the diesels are fulfilling that role. The train is certainly moving a lot faster up that first grade in particular, no matter what spin flyboy would like to put on it :p:rolleyes:.

I model the second half of the 20th century, give or take 20 years. I'm having fun, that's all that matters.

Era? We don't need no stinkin' eras!

I don't pay any attention to eras, geography, lines, or anything else. If it strikes my fancy, I run it.

I went era-less for many years. Now I am trying to keep it in the 20s and 30s. For a change. Except - I have some 44 tonners to haul old passenger cars as a modern day tourist line.

And that sig irritates me.:rolleyes:

Warning, do not touch Beady's signature, may contain substances known to the State of California to cause itching and possible rashes of the skin. Do not let it come into contact with open wounds as it may actually get under your skin.

Additional warning, only view through dark safety glasses (Welding grade is advised) to prevent blindness, although that may be also attributed to unrelated activities.

The reality is: I do care! Not enough to present a reason to explain to all of you, why I care, other than to say I think we all should care! If I were to explain why I care, I am sure this would cause ill will and consternation amongst those of you who don't care! What a world we live in, when someone who cares can cause a world war, because they care!

The reality is: I do care! Not enough to present a reason to explain to all of you, why I care, other than to say I think we all should care! If I were to explain why I care, I am sure this would cause ill will and consternation amongst those of you who don't care! What a world we live in, when someone who cares can cause a world war, because they care!
I don't care.

Nanner nanner.

Last edited by a moderator:

So do I. For what I do. For what others do? Not so much! Once at a club operating session a member put out a double stack train. Way out of era. I drew it. I pulled it with steam just to push the point. Haven't seen out of era trains since.

I am modeling the 50's era and my scenes will be for that era, but I have a few modern stuff, I won't be afraid to run it every so often but off they go. If you have seen Tony Koester's NKP layout he has it down to the Nth degree, it works. I said it before many towns look very much the same as they did in the 40's-50s, running modern thru them doesn't throw the picture out, but maybe the autos get changed..

I am modeling the 50's era and my scenes will be for that era, but I have a few modern stuff, I won't be afraid to run it every so often but off they go. If you have seen Tony Koester's NKP layout he has it down to the Nth degree, it works. I said it before many towns look very much the same as they did in the 40's-50s, running modern thru them doesn't throw the picture out, but maybe the autos get changed..

I use the autos to date when a movie on TV was made, or what time period it is set in, by checking the latest model seen.

Actually, I have a lot of respect for those of you who can keep their modeling in one era. I have considered doing so myself. I just decided it wasn't for me. I have thought, if I had the space, to have different scenes modeled in different times. Then my trains can travel through both space and time.

Back