Which Roadbed would you Suggest?

Jack Doran

I am planning a layout using foam. But I was wondering which Roadbed someone would suggest to put down on it. I have been thinking the Woodland Senics roadbed. But I also Have been thinking about using the tried and true Corkbed. I was originally going to use the AMI road bed until I heard it will not stay attached to the foam over time. So any help would be apprecaited.

Jack

I went the stryofoam sub-base (blue foam 1 1/2" thick) with Woodland Scenic roadbed. I like it. There are draw backs to it. You won't be able to spike/nail your track down, or at least I wouldn't. I used there regular glue the thicker white stuff, you could use their Foam Glue.

I have been happy with it, others may have problems I didn't encounter.

Good luck!

I used WS roadbed on soft board (kinda like homasote) and pinned it down, came up real easy ( that layout is gone) It does need glueing I think.

Lots of guys across the street (MR) use foam and WS.

Ken.

The base for my CEE Line is foam. I used AMI instant roadbed and like it a lot. I painted the foam, stuck down the AMI and then the track. The AMI holds the track but on a couple of my curves I had to glue the track for it to stay. The curves are rather sharp between 12 and 15 degree Radius but over all I an well pleased.

I use the true corkbed on a foam base.

However, instead of nailing the track down, I used a product called No-Nails which is an adhesive similar to glue to tack down my track.

Hi Jack,

I've used both the tried and true cork roadbed and the Woodland Scenic roadbed. I prefer the Woodland Scenic roadbed. I've found that it is easier to form around curves and splice into sections. The trick to using it is to first layout your track plan very precisely on your base, then glue the roadbed to your base and then glue the track to the roadbed. I only glued the curves, this allows for a little wiggle room in the straight sections for expansion and contraction.

Thanks guys. Does glueing the track down form a pretty good hold, and what type of glue would you use. Elmer's white glue or something more thicker then that. This is my first venture toward starting a layout.

Jack

Elmers will work, others have used Liquid Nails (not sure if I would), silicone chaulk or any plastic compatible glue. Also once you lay your ballast and glue it down, that will also help bond the track to the roadbed.

Well being the oddball that I am, I cut my own from cork sheet purchased at a hardware/lumber yard store. It's sold by the running foot two feet wide. I made a jig to cut it into 1/2 track width lengths. It's easier to bend it to the curve contours that way. (Also easier to lay along a drawn centerline :D ) The sub base is plywood and I use a white glue to secure the cork to the plywood. I should think it would work as well on Styrofoam.
Cheers Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say Foam, with the WS roadbed secured with Liquid nails, or adhesive caulking. The caulking would allow you to remove it if need be, with a good clean putty knife. I've used liquid nails, but its messy and thick, I'd suggest to stick to the caulking. As for ballast, elmers watered down, or carpenters wood glue watered down works too. I've also used Ellen's tacky glue, and the woodland scenics glue too.

P.S. Isn't the 24' roll of WS roadbed cheeper then cork too?

I've never used anything but cork.I was going to try the WS roadbed but a friend tried it and had nothing but trouble with it.

I use a glue called SoBo. It is found at fabric (JoAnn)and craft stories(Michaels,Franks) and disolves easily for reuse of track plus it stays flexable. This is the third layout most of my track has been used on and have not had any problems with it.

Thanks guys. I may try the Elmers glues method. I have used Liquid nail before in new home layout contruction. They use it to glue the subfloor down to the floor joist so your floor don't squeak. I thought like you Jbaakko that it maybe to thick to use to glue down.Plus I was wondering how it would adhesive to the foam or if it would not eat it.

Now one more question.

If I use the Elmers glue method and put the track down will the track come lose to put another layer of glue down to put the ballast on. Or Should I spike the track down and wait until the glue dries to remove the spikes. that way I don't have worry about it at all.

I heard that liquid nails can have a reaction, and melt the foam. Anyone find this to be true, or should I call Myth Busters?? :D

They make a Liquid Nails for Projects that is OK for foam it is blue in color I think. At leastt he stuff I used on my foam was blue. Regular Liquid Nails will melt foam.

This will place me in a corner I know, but I've constructed 12 layouts and have always used wood roadbed. The exception to that is yard areas where I use Homosote. The wood roadbed was particularly useful on the two layouts employing all hand laid trackage. Unless you are gluing down your rail, wood takes and holds spikes better than the rest. Longer spikes are suggested for Homosote.

eric

Well on my industrial switching layout I used Woodland Scenics 12"x24" foam sections on a 1 foot wide by 10 foot board which work quite well.I glued my track down with Elmer's glue and it held quite well.I am very happy with the results.:D

Back