Which 2-8-0?

I'm puzzled why Iron Horseman had trouble with his MDC 2-8-0.
Mine runs really good with no modification other than adding detail. Perhaps there are different versions of them out there or quality control was haphazard. As I posted earlier, it is a lightweight model with little pulling power. I added a traction tire to one driver on the left side, but not happy with the wobble now. It may also be slightly smaller than a CR prototype.

IMG_4159rev.jpg

copr26m.jpg

I have pictures of the Copper Range 2-8-0 at Mid Continent RR Museum, unfortunately it rained like heck the day of our visit so the pictures aren't the best.
IMG_5248.JPG

The MDC/Athearn Old Time 2-8-0 would be the best bet for that engine. The modern runs have a nice motor and all wheel electrical pick up. They are my go to road engine for my 1900 era P&R layout. I have over a half dozen of them. I find that they will handle about 14-16 cars on level track. about 8 on a 1.5-2% grade. YMMV.

If you were handy, you could add the coal bunker with sheet styrene, move the generator ahead of the smokestack, add a power reverse and the funky handrails on the smokebox and really make it into a "Copper Range" engine.

The museum also has some older Copper range passenger cars :
IMG_5287.JPG

I have the exact same Ma & Pa Connie, except mine is an Akane..My father surprised me with it in about 1957. Man was I in heaven ! The blind drivers were to me new and unusual which was very exciting, plus I did have 18"r snap-track curves then..Never converted it to DCC.

If you do get a Roundhouse 2-8-0, get one that's ready to run. While I've put together the occasional MDC steam engine kit, I think for a "beginner" one that's already built would be the better choice.

Thank you all so much for the pictures and input on the 2-8-0. Dennis it is especially nice to see the Roundhouse photo next to the original #29. I think I’m hooked on the roundhouse. I’m only planning on a 4-5 car consist on the layout, but may see a 3% grade In one small spot.
Dave thank you for sharing you Copper Range pictures.

Back