Where to begin

mikeb2008

Some of the "virtual worlds" I see here are just stunning. (You know who you are). As I think I heard someone else say, it is both inspiring and a little "depressing" at the same time. I mean, I'd like my layout to start to look like that too, but I don't know any of the construction techniques. I'm sure it takes many years of experience to be able to get the kinds of results I see here.

My question is: Is there a book I should get my hands on, or a web site that shows the "best" techniques to build these amazing landscapes? Also something for the first time modeler that does not have infinite time or budget, but still wants it to look good in the end. Some quick tricks that maybe get you a balance of realism and practicality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't know if my style of modelling and my way of imaging it meets your approval, but it is mostly taking your time and being thorough. Truly, generating something that looks good in images with the right lighting and camera techniques is not very hard. The main part is making realistic contours, and then applying the right combinations of ground foam and foam bushes/trees, and such. Build kits, experiment with washes and dry brush techniques until the model looks good.

None of the really good guys jumped out of bed one morning and said to the better half, "Look what appeared in our basement, Hon, and all I had to do was to dream about it!" It takes a full evening to plan out a layout, then weeks of an hour or four here and there to get the bench and scenic base in place. It starts with a vision and some determination, some practice mock-ups to learn the right paint or materials, and then you begin to erect it.

As the previous gentleman says, you work on three square feet, get it right, and then move on...but you can make some nice imagery of that first three square feet.

Contours, texture, variations in ground foam and coarseness of the same (nature doesn't just grow one type of weed or bush), and an eye for details. Then, a basic knowledge of lighting and camera use/settings, and you begin to take images until one pops and you say...WOW....that's what I was hoping for. :D

BTW, as I just alluded to, it takes me about 15 trips to the layout and back to the computer on an evening until I get one shot out of perhaps 50-70 that looks half-ways decent....good crisp shadows, good depth of focus, right amount of light reflected into the nether parts of engines so that the trucks stand out a bit, etc.

It all boils down to teaching yourself to generate what your eye wants to see. For some it takes years, some never get that far, some have it in hand in a few weeks. It took me two years and gashing my first layout for the better one I was seeing behind my eyeballs.

-Crandell

Thanks for the reply Crandell. Your style is definitely what I'm aspiring to, especially what you posted here: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12725 . I imagine a lot of work went into creating just what we see in that photo, nevermind the composition of the photo itself... Speaking of which, do you have a wider view of your whole layout? Others in that thread are also amazing.

The approach that I'm taking is to put a hold on my large HO scale layout because it soon dawned on me that I had bitten off more than I could chew, you don't simply go out and run a marathon, it takes months of preparation and training.

So I decided to start small, build a "micro" layout on a 1' x 4' sheet of plywood, starting simple and small will allow me to complete the layout in about 2 months or so. I had the benchwork done in a week and will most likely have track laid in two weeks. I've already put down plaster and painted it.

The way I see it, the skills, techniques and experience gained from building such a small layout to completion will help me to build a much larger one. It will also give me an indication of how much work and time is involved.

The key is to go slow and take your time. Trying to rush will turn sour at some point, I tried to rush my trackwork and measured wrong, I now have to make another trip to the LHS, and we all know how that one ends. In the end, trying to rush was a costly mistake but I learnt my lesson.

I wish you the best of luck with this awesome hobby.

I agree, it is a good idea to do a small trial, even on a small slab of 1/2" plywood. Lay two feet of track, try to ballast it. Find out how to do it so it looks good. We can talk you through that. Then, either pouring real sifted dirt, or making dirt out of paint and sawdust, or using a mix of fine vermiculite, portland cement, and plaster of paris, as I did...slathering 1/2" thick mix of this over aluminum window screen...or maybe carving layers of blue or pink extruded styrofoam will make you happier.

Here is a shot you asked for, Mike. I had to go outside and shoot through my open basement window one night. You don't see it all, but what you see will give you the idea. I wanted to be surrounded by scenery, and as a shortish feller, and still under 60 years, I don't mind stooping to get to the central operating pit. It is a simple track plan...a yard that you can see surrounded by a folded loop. There are two industrial spurs, the far one being a switchback. The leftmost tracks, two staggered sidings for passing and the central main, are actually 8" above the yard, so the nethermost tracks at the far end, the inner, are climbing to get to the high ground running behind the main yard.

Thanks for your compliments. There are some really good, clever, and skilled modelers here...no two ways about it. I'll join them one fine day, but maybe on my third layout...if the wife will grant me even more room. :D (Shhh...is that the Everly Brothers? "Dream, dream, dream...")

IMG_0166resized.JPG

Its good to buy a learning kit from Woodland Scenics. Everything you need comes in a small kit. They make kits for rocks, trees, water, roads, etc. Comes with instructions and all needed supplies. You can learn allot from these simple kits. You'll be amazed on how easy it is to color and detail rocks and how they turn out.
You can buy all the books you want but hands on is the best way. Another "cheaper" tip, try searching "Youtube", there are tons of detailed videos of layout building tips and details. Why buy any book when the computer your typing on is connected to the largest library in the world? (Other than to support the author)

Hi Mike: IMHO, I don't think there is a "best" way to do scenery. There are many techniques that will give you good results. For years, I looked at the layouts in the magazines, and thought to myself, I'll never be able to replicate scenes like that. When it came time for scenery on my layout, I didn't have a clue on where to start. Then I found Dave Frary's book, "Modeling the Pennsy Middle Division". His methods were simple enough, even for me. So, like Shauna's suggestion, I gave it a try. My first couple of attempts were, er, learning experiences. But, I kept trying and learning from my mistakes. I finally got a section done, that I thought looked pretty good. After that, I just kept repeating the techniques that worked for me. Any mistakes can be fixed. P.S. I agree, Crandell has a great layout!

Mike, my layout is modular. Each scene is a microcosm of the "big" picture. Some scenes consist of multiple modules. No way to build a switching yard in a single module, just won't happen. And a business district....well, lets just say the two things I mentioned, are challenging.

My current layout, large by most standards, actually began its life as a 2'x4' diorama in 1996. Hard to believe looking at it now. AND it's still "morphing". A term I use to convince myself that my "Quest for Perfection" and my desire "to have it all" is actually a living thing. And those terms make it easier for the Conductor(aka the Better Half) to deal with me "playing with trains". "Morphing" just sounds more mature and sophisticated.

Being a modular layout, I model steam and diesel transition, normally, can be changed to a modern layout, with modern motive power, in a matter of a couple of hours by changing out modules. It's best to build a rack, or shelf, for storing unused modules. I've done that.

It's been a fun trip through the years.

Bob

Back