Where should my tank cars go? An industry to model.

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
LGM and I ran across this AmeriGas Propane facility the other day. I couldn't help but think how it could fit into a compressed space on a layout. Hopefully, someone will find the photos useful for their layout plans. The proto you see here has a capacity of six cars and is built on a curved spur just off the busy CSX mainline between Birmingham and Nashville. A model version could easily be compressed to three cars and the curved layout might come in handy on shelf type benchwork where space is at a premium. For those so blessed, obviously a full size version is possible.

To be switched, the proto would put a crunch on mainline traffic. That seems to be common on model railroads, but this facility proves that the proto deals with the same issues on occasion. In this instance, the prototype can only switch pickups from northbound trains. There is no siding, just a single spur off the main.

Here's a few shots for anyone that might be interested in a new modeling project. ;)

Overall view from the CSX main.
Ameri%203.th.jpg

Down the spur
Ameri%206.th.jpg

Random Views
Ameri%201.th.jpg

Ameri%202.th.jpg

Ameri%204.th.jpg

Ameri%207.th.jpg

OOOOOH! OOOOOH! OOOOOH! I've got one of them!

Overall view:

Star_Propane_01.jpg

A work-in-progress, the platform and a few local delivery trucks:

platform_and_tankers.jpg

Warehouse & office:

SmallTankWarehouse.jpg

Totally scratchbuilt (well almost, except for the Athearn trucks)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great Ken. It's what I had in mind when I saw the proto facility. It seems like the makings of a cool little "traffic generator". ;)

Back