where can i get corrugated tin in ho scale

Found this photo by accident .. thought I would post to this thread .. it's an early manual corrugated iron roller on display at the Kapunda museum, South Austrailia

800px-Corrugated_iron_manual_roller.JPG

ooo i love machines from history they are literally so amazing just to see what people thought of and how they did it. the old style looks to be the easiest to make cause i like playing with the lathe

I found this website .. Westlake Publishing which has it's own Model Railroad Forum. A thread on Home-made Corrugated Metal is interesting. The one shown is in 1:35 scale but that is just a little over twice HO .. (that's the 'why' of updating this thread .. I was 'researching') :)

my topic must have been eating at you for a while to dig it out of the grave lol. but to see something come back with new ideas is great cause now it will attract moe people lol
(that's the 'why' of updating this thread .. I was 'researching') :)

That's not bad looking I just need to find the metal tape I guess at HD and look fro a pin vise that has that type of handle.

Thanks for hte link.
Dave

Sometimes the simplest thing is the most elusive. We've been looking at the answer in a number of pictures and even the Pin Vice handle is half of the answer, although that isn't a bad idea but would require a fair amount of down force but that could be remedied too.

I think it was Ed before that drew up the cad drawing of the unit with two large hard rubber wheels that the aluminum would be passed through and a corrigated bands in the middle to make the corrigated impressions.

Now lets simplify the whole unit by just having two gears, with fine meshing teeth such as the groves on the pin vise handle, that would have a tentioning devise on one side and a hand crank on one of the gears so the aluminum could be started and cranked through or between the two gears or drums and the impressions made in the process.

As far as the Aluminum stock, possibly soda can aluminum could be used?

A new Model railroader, Matt who is also a neighbor and interested in Model Railroading, his dad has a complete machine shop and Matt is pretty well versed too I'm sure so I'll have to run the idea by him.

Problem may be solved?

David,
I've been thinking the answer would be a set of gears that had teeth like the side of some pin vice. The solution I have found for the tin that seems to be a good thickness so far is a foil tin pan used for cooking or a disposable pizza pan. I've not been able to find any gears that have teeth the size needed but would love to get some. I also thought that you may only need one that you roll over a rubber pad that would allow the wheel/gear to press the tin against.

Sounds like you may have a source that would be able to help with the gear problem. I would be interested in knowing if you find a solution and if it would be available for others.

Happy New Year,
Dave

I built a shed in 1:24. At that scale, a paper-crimper made by Fiskars worked perfectly .. and I used cake pan aluminum

2602161674_ae7535bfcd.jpg

While this is twice the size we need for O scale or 4x for HO .. this would work if you could get new gears made. It's only about $14 as Michaels

Back