where can I find this caboose

brubakes

No local shops have it or say they can get it in stock. I have been watching eBay and no luck. Can anyone point me to an online retailer with it in stock? Walther's did not have it.

Atlas 6304-4 in NKP

6304-4TQ.jpg

I've been hunting for one my self with no luck, missed when they came out. good luck in your search if I find 2 I will let you know

Try Jerry at www.Mainetrains.com He is a LHS near me and has several of the Atlas NE6 in stock. I usually only look for the NH versions so can't say for sure what the others are but for the price of an email it wouldn't hurt to ask if he has the NKP you are looking for. Last month he brought in 2 of the NKP version undecs for me. Super good guy and very knowledgeable so no worries if you are able to place an order.

As long as you have an undecorated version, why not paint, detail, and decal it yourself? As you can see from the picure of the real 770, (http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nkp/nkp-c770bd.jpg) the Atlas paint is not correct and some of the body details need to be redone or added to. In particular, the top band with the "Nickle Plate High High Speed Service" is not white. It is a light gray, and almost every prepainted model has gotten this wrong.

As long as you have an undecorated version, why not paint, detail, and decal it yourself? As you can see from the picure of the real 770, (http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nkp/nkp-c770bd.jpg) the Atlas paint is not correct and some of the body details need to be redone or added to. In particular, the top band with the "Nickle Plate High High Speed Service" is not white. It is a light gray, and almost every prepainted model has gotten this wrong.

To put it simply I don't have the skills yet to detail the unit to a point I would be happy with.

Brubakes, there are guys here who are custom painters. Post in the Wanted to Buy Section for bids to paint and decal the caboose, since you already have the undecorated version. You'll pay a little more but get a much nicer looking caboose than the factory paint job.

Check hoyardsale, I bought another one from a guy a few months ago, well, probably a year ago, time flies when you get old. I model NKP, as well as a few other interchanging and crossing roads.

The better half sniped one for me for Christmas, too. The person she sniped was me. lol I was pretty upset when I lost the auction. We had a big laugh Christmas Eve when we opened our presents. Many of the auctions I had lost, she won. Nothing like bidding against your better half.

I also thought I saw another one on eBay in the past week or so. Didn't bid as I was "playing vulture" on a couple of other items.

You may also want to contact Atlas. They may have a list of shops that may have one in stock.

PS: found a oddball on eBay. Ya better have some deep pockets, not cheap. I already have one or I'd go for it. I didn't pay that price for it though. link: http://cgi.ebay.com/BRASS-OMI-1160-...wItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item5d25ce9ed3

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
It may not work every time. But I have noticed that if you try to search hobby shops or call around to some hobby shops around the country that are far away from the original line your modeling. You may have a better chance on finding what you need. Modelers tend to model what they have seen in person as a kid or any age for that matter. NKP is an eastern road mostly so most on the west coast wouldnt really care for a car like that on the shelf. Thus it sits.

Im a good example. I never really pay attention to the roads that were outside of the midwest primarily. So I dont pay any of those western, southern, or eastern roads equipment that is for sale at the local hobby shop or online shops. I may pick up a car here or there just for asthetics because thats still prototypical but I think you get what I mean.

You could always check a few online hobby shops or call around to shops in other parts of the country to find what you need. You might get lucky. I just found a limited edition set CNW set of hoppers at a hobby shop in California. Miles away from any CNW line. Which I think may have something to do with it. They seemed to dissappear very quick actually.

I am looking for the same caboose except Wheeling and Lake Erie. Two numbers, I believe these were produced in 06 or 07. Very nice RTR caboose.
Wayne

Chris brings up an excellent point: shop away from your railroad.

I went on a tear a few years ago buying Southern and Norfolk & Western rolling stock. I had the best luck finding what I was looking for at a shop in Pasco, Washington, which is about as far away as you can get from Norfolk Southern territory. In fact, even my LHS has purchased stuff from this same shop before for modelers looking for the odd out of stock item. You might give them a try for this NKP caboose.

P.F.& S. Railway Supply, Inc
560 Ione Rd.
Pasco, WA 99301
Phone: 1-509-266-4384
Fax: 1-509-266-4375

It may not work every time. But I have noticed that if you try to search hobby shops or call around to some hobby shops around the country that are far away from the original line your modeling. You may have a better chance on finding what you need. Modelers tend to model what they have seen in person as a kid or any age for that matter. NKP is an eastern road mostly so most on the west coast wouldnt really care for a car like that on the shelf. Thus it sits.

Im a good example. I never really pay attention to the roads that were outside of the midwest primarily. So I dont pay any of those western, southern, or eastern roads equipment that is for sale at the local hobby shop or online shops. I may pick up a car here or there just for asthetics because thats still prototypical but I think you get what I mean.

You could always check a few online hobby shops or call around to shops in other parts of the country to find what you need. You might get lucky. I just found a limited edition set CNW set of hoppers at a hobby shop in California. Miles away from any CNW line. Which I think may have something to do with it. They seemed to dissappear very quick actually.

Holy cow, Bob, not only wasn't that a very common NKP caboose, but the paint and detailing really sucks. Whoever did it couldn't even get the windows in right. I'm also pretty certain that the yellow handrails and safety striping on the steps are all wrong for that period. I might think about it if was still in brass but not when whoever finished it did such an amateur job.

Looks like the windows are the liquid type, like Krystal Kleer, or canopy glue. That's why it's so cheap. These Overland cabeese normally go into the low 200's. Just the kind of thing I'd buy & repaint, if I was into the NKP.

Back