Where Are All The O-Scale 2-rail Steam Engines?

Brakeman Hal

Gentlemen, before I die, I would like to go out with an O-Scale 2-Rail Steam Locomotive in my roster. (I have an MTH Pacific that doesn't run.)

My Steam Heritage goes back to the early 1940s, when my Dad, a Pennsy Fireman, would take me to work with him when he had Yard Duty.

I could never hope to be up in the cab with him on Mainline runs in a 2-8-2 Mikado, hauling steel to War Production plants during WW2.

I would like get either a 2-6-0 Mogul, a 2-6-2 Prairie, or a 2-8-0 Consolidation to steam around hauling a light freight on my 130-foot O-Scale 2-Rail High Desert layout, but the loco must be an O-Scale TWO RAIL engine, with a Western road name, like SF, UP, or SP, and with DCC and Sound.

I've tried many sources, even ebay, with no luck...maybe you know where I can get such an engine?

Thanks,
Brakeman Hal, age 84

IMG_0710.JPG

Last edited:

Several in this group - I saw numerous Santa Fe and a UP that are smaller types.

Even a Mountain type might negotiate your 42 inch radius?

Yes, Sherrel...that was quite an impressive list, but they were all Brass.

Hal
You may have to settle for Brass or see about getting somebody to 3d print you a basic shell to put over an easier to get locomotive. A quick google indicates that there are a few people out there with 3d models of various steam locomotives. You'd likely need to add any rails to it and paint, but there's more flexibility there.

HAL'S Problem is that he is 84 yo and does not have the dexterity to "work" on things as he would like too!

I have suggested to him many times to get a brass 2-8-0 and have someone paint it and install DCC as he wants it. I am sure that there is someone on the forum here that would do it?
I would be happy to paint and decal it for him, but I know nothing about DCC and I am sure that the motor would have to be isolated from the frame?
I only live not quite 100 miles from him.

I believe Tony's Train Exchange or one of the main DCC e-tailers does DCC conversions. If the loco could be sent there, under contract/agreement, converted, and then forwarded to someone willing to do what else needs to be done to make it pretty and representative of the road-of-choice, our OP would have at least one operating locomotive.

HAL'S Problem is that he is 84 yo and does not have the dexterity to "work" on things as he would like too!

I have suggested to him many times to get a brass 2-8-0 and have someone paint it and install DCC as he wants it. I am sure that there is someone on the forum here that would do it?
I would be happy to paint and decal it for him, but I know nothing about DCC and I am sure that the motor would have to be isolated from the frame?
I only live not quite 100 miles from him.

Ah, there's ways around that problem. Surgeons use motion reducing levers for that. Combine something like that with templates and much of it probably could be done. That being said, nobody seems to make the levers, which is odd as they're rather easy to make, they mostly just require the fulcrum to be located right next to the end with the paint brush tip. A rather large motion on the end of the handle would become a very small one at the end. You'd also need a suitable magnifying glass to see what was being painted.

WHAAAT??

Go to all that trouble? At my age I want instant gratification from a trainmaker who has everything I want, with no painting, detailing, labeling, or installing anything!

To me, this brass craze is just for those who want a miroscopically perfect model to put in a glass showcase!

I would rather have Bachmann's cheapest engine, with plastic body and DCC sound, as long as it's a Western road and is O-Scale and 2-Rail!

My hobby budget? Yes it IS large! After working for 37 years as a Lab Test Engineer, I accumulated a lot of payroll savings, matched by the 3 Aerospace companies I worked for, so when I retired 21 years ago, I needed a UP 4-8-8-4 Big Boy to haul it all home!

I bought a retirement home in the High Desert and had a large Game Room built as an addition, which houses my Billiard Parlor and my Train Room.

Before getting into Model Railroading, I joined the High Desert Astronomical Society, and eventually had the Biggest Telescope in the Club, a 20-inch Newtonian Reflector for which I paid $6300. During the time I was a member of HiDAS, I had invested over $25,000 in Astronomical Telescopes, Eyepieces, Filters, and other optics. (See Pictures)

With your much appreciated help, I'll continue looking for the Steamer which has everything I want right out of the box!

Thanks for all your replies!
Hal
188.jpg
047.jpg
177.JPG
180.JPG
044.jpg
075.jpg

228.jpg
078.jpg
225.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, Sherrel...that was quite an impressive list, but they were all Brass.

Hal
Unfortunately your choices may be limited to brass. Most O scale two rail steam is brass. It seems most of plastic or die cast models are three rail. You might try Sunset Models. They're doing two and three rail O. You might also check Brass Trains for used models that have been painted and DCC'd. It may take a while.
Sunset, GGD and ERR OCTOBER 2020 Update (godaddy.com)

WHAAAT??

Go to all that trouble? At my age I want instant gratification from a trainmaker who has everything I want, with no painting, detailing, labeling, or installing anything!

To me, this brass craze is just for those who want a microscopically perfect model to put in a glass showcase!

I would rather have Bachmann's cheapest engine, with plastic body and DCC sound, as long as it's a Western road and is O-Scale and 2-Rail!

With your much appreciated help, I'll continue looking for the Steamer which has everything I want right out of the box!

Thanks for all your replies!
Hal

Actually, that's quite a misconception you have going there :) I have a rather extensive collection of HO brass and it all runs on the layout. There are collectors who never run them, but for me, if it doesn't run, it gets sold off. Bachmann unfortunately doesn't make what you're looking for, and Lionel isn't interested in two rail. That doesn't leave you much room to maneuver! I think with a little searching you'll eventually find something that works for you. The question is how long the search will take. I have models in my collection it took years to find. Models I couldn't get any other way. You may luck out and someone will release something in plastic or diecast. You never know.

I hope you're right, Espeefan!

I had plenty of choice and plenty of Engines in HO, except I got tired of the small scale.

I started in G Scale, but took a beating when I went to O!

Hal

002.JPG

Hal

Hal, Don't you have enough cool toys? Ah the rewards of a life well lived and a retirement well played. All the neat rewards and a beautiful wife too. I salute you sir.

Back