wheel upgrade for 70's atlas boxcars

Pant O'Graff

Hi-

Who has found replacement wheels/trucks for vintage Atlas rolling stock?

I know Weaver and Atlas and some others make them, wonder about where to purchase?

Your experience?

Thanks-
Mike

Atlas has an entire line of 2 and 3 rail trucks/wheel sets. I usually get mine from Ebay unless I travel to a big hobby shop that carries them. They are about $15-$20 per pair.

If you are talking about the Atlas from the 1970's, they have a different axle set up than what Atlas sells now. Check out NWSL and see if they offer wheel sets for 70's Atlas cars. Are you planning on running them on 2 rail or 3 rail? Usually what I do for the few old Atlas cars I have is put a plug in the bolster hole and use a whole new truck from Athearn or Weaver with the metal wheels. I'm a 2 rail operator so I toss the old wheels, no one seems interested in the plastic pizza cutters. :D

Greg

You did and if he wants to just replace the wheels he will need to find axles with the wire thin ends that fit in the old trucks. That being said, the old trucks have a lower bolster than the new ones from Atlas. How much modification do you do to use the new trucks? What I've done for yrs before Atlas started selling O scale trucks again was to plug to hole in the car bolster with rod plastic and drill a new hole for a 2-56 screw to hold Athearn or Weaver trucks. Those trucks match the old Atlas trucks for height in the bolster. I also put NWSL wheel sets in the new trucks. I do like your idea of the new Atlas trucks since they are metal along with the wheels which adds much needed weight down low for those old cars. Also Weaver now sells die cast metal trucks that could work with the Roco/Atlas cars but the bolster hole still needs modification.

Greg

Back