Wheel set sizes per rolling stock/freightcars

Alcomotive

Grandson of an ALCO Builder
Hey guys I have a quick question:

Is there a quick reference guide that I can go to for a list of the car classifications (like HM for hoppers, FM for flat cars, GB for gondolas etc) and will it also tell you what wheel sizes are used for the style of car? Another words like ore cars use what? 33", 36" 42" size wheels?

Any help would be appreciated I just didnt want to go looking in all my books just...having a lazy moment,,,LOL:p:D

Yup:
http://modelrailroadtips.com/index.php?op=Articles;article=52

LD LMT printing is the best way to judge:

1) 70 ton trucks w/ 33" wheels = 140,000 to 150,000 load weight
2) 100 ton trucks w/ 33" wheels = 165,000 to 175,000 load weight
3) 100 ton trucks w/36" wheels = 190,000 to 205,000 load weight
4) 125 ton trucks w/ 38" wheels = 220,000 to 230,000 load weight

Basically, modern 60'+ or 50' High cube boxcars have 36" wheels. 60'+ flat cars can have 36" wheels if not used in TOFC service. TOFC flats usually have 70T trucks.

Intermodal is fun. Stacks have 33" wheels on the end, and if they have 125T intermediates they'd have 38" wheels. Early stacks had 33" or 36" intermediates...

Hoppers vary by era, any modern car would have 36". Older 70's to 80's 100T cars have 33. Even older cars have 70T trucks.

Autoracks usually have 33" for bi-levels and 28" for tri-levels.

Gondolas very by service, but usually 33" or 36". Scrap gondolas would be in the 36" wheel range.

Most modern 3-4 bay covered hoppers have 36" but older ribbed styles have 33".

Lemme know what you need specifically and I'll let you know what it should have.

Sadly, its not as easy as reading the AAR mechanical designations.
http://home.cogeco.ca/~trains/rraar79.htm

If you notice they don't specify the weight to be hauled, to the length of the car, but rather just how its built.

had to search for this as i didn't want to start a new post. i've installed 33" wheels on every piece of rolling stock that had plastic wheels. I now wish i had just gone with 36" wheels instead. Will it be problematic with 33" wheels on box cars, tank cars and so on?

and what did most heavyweight passenger cars use?

Different sized wheels will not cause an issue, unless the wheel sizes force the couplers "out of gage". I use the appropriate size on my rolling stock, and have no issues to speak of.

I've always gone the route of 33" on trucks with two sets of springs, and 36" on trucks with three sets of springs.
I'm going by memory here, the number of spring sets could be off.
I know it's more complicated than that but this is a general short cut anyway.

Back