Wheel set replacement

TomR

Where can I get good replacement wheels that are about a 1.000 inch axle point xxdepthxx width? I have about 20 pcs of brand new 1.027 inch wide axles but they won't roll in the trucks. They just slide along the track.

Tried searches and all the wheels I found lack dimensions so I can't tell if they will work.

Thanks,

Tom

PS

More new cars, more crappy import parts. :-(

The flanges are only about .014 inches to .018 inches above the wheel main diameter. Worse yet, they have a rounded slope up onto the flange. They constantly derail.

All my other cars are around .024 inches and higher and have a much sharper radius from wheel running surface to the flange.

I can push the three new cars off the track sideways by barely pushing. :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
Replacement wheelsets

Where can I get good replacement wheels that are about a 1.000 inch point depth? I have about 20 pcs of brand new 1.027 inch wide axles but they won't roll in the trucks. They just slide along the track.

The flanges are only about .014 inches to .018 inches above the wheel main diameter. Worse yet, they have a rounded slope up onto the flange. They constantly derail.

All my other cars are around .024 inches and higher and have a much sharper radius from wheel running surface to the flange.

I can push the three new cars off the track sideways by barely pushing. :-(

Hmm, your description of the new ones sounds more like they are RP25 - the current standard .........???????????

Reboxx makes different and specified axle lengths and can be found at Modeltrainstuff.com for one.

Another option is the $10 Reboxx truck tuner to ream out the bearing a little.

take care ,,,, ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Intermountain, Tom. I'm not sure of the dimensions, but they might help you. I purchased a box of 100 33" wheels and have had no trouble.

Roy

Thanks, I'm going to call Mantua today because the .015" flange depth is obviously too shallow. NMRA disappointly does not have a minumum flange depth, only a maximum of .028 inches. When only a maximum is set it allows problems like this to happen. :)

.015 flange is far too shallow to stay on the track through frogs and backing around any curve, even a 24 inch radius curve.

Thanks, I'm going to call Mantua today because the .015" flange depth is obviously too shallow. NMRA disappointly does not have a minumum flange depth, only a maximum of .028 inches. When only a maximum is set it allows problems like this to happen. :)

.015 flange is far too shallow to stay on the track through frogs and backing around any curve, even a 24 inch radius curve.

Good Luck calling Mantua! They're out of business! Model Power makes some of their locos now. Mantua locos have had the RP-25 flanges since the early 1960's at least.

Trackwork quality dictates how well a car/loco will track, not wheel flanges.

You've been given some very good advice about wheels and truck tuning.

Ron;
Standard Marklin wheels will NOT work on two rail DC or DCC track. There is no insulation between the wheels and axles, since they are designed to run on 3 rail track. The outer rails on this track are the same "polarity", so insulation is not needed.

Replacement wheelsets

Sorry, that's a newbie for you. I have gotten great help from all of you fellows on the forum and was just trying to return the favor. I missed his mentioning that he was dealing with three track O scale.

Ron
:eek:

Back