What's the best flush cutter for wire?

deanej

Just getting back into doing a bit of modeling after a 10 year absence and I'm having to get caught up on what things to use.

I'm wondering what is the best pliars type cutter for clipping wire that might be used in detailing cars and engines? I want something that is good for flush cutting the wire close to the surface.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Deane

I understand the Xuron stuff is very good. Might end up being the best way to go.

I was hoping to find some brand locally to avoid shipping costs.

Has anyone ever tried anything like these from Radio Shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932532#

EDIT: I just noticed that Amazon has Xuron. I have Amazon prime so get free two day shipping. That would work.

I would assume the 410T model.

Deane

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay away from RS tools, particularly the cutters. The metal is just too soft causing the cutting edge to nic easily. ;)
Sears Craftsman tools are still very good and will have flat cutters like you want.

Stay away from RS tools, particularly the cutters. The metal is just too soft causing the cutting edge to nic easily. ;)
Sears Craftsman tools are still very good and will have flat cutters like you want.
Appreciate the comment, and it's rather consistent with my general feeling of anything Radio Shack. Just doesn't quite hit the target.

Now that I've see that the Xuron stuff is available at Amazon, that's the way I'll go with my free shipping.

I want to make neat and close flush cuts with fairly light wire, the kind you use for grab irons, ladder rungs, etc. I suppose the Xuron 410T is the one, if anyone can confirm from experience. I won't be cutting anything like rails.

That cutter is nice, but don't try anything harder than brass or copper wire with it. Stay away from steel wire or piano wire. For that stuff, you'll need the model 2193 HWAC cutter. I have four different cutters for different applications, including etched metal detail parts. Xuron stuff is the best!

Back