What's in your wallet^W roster?

This program I mentioned above is awesome! Rail Fan Express 4.0

Detailed roster information

You can view in so many different catagories too! By RR, engine, car type etc...

It does waybills

Operating Sessions

Cargo types etc...

Insurance reports

Differrent Wizard reports (which is has a few different templates for printing your roster etc)

I just bought it today for 20 bucks and I ended up scrapping my Excel Spread sheet system that I did. This program is the "ticket" and it does work guys!

Started over again

:mad: I hit a wall! on this program...:( Rail Fan Express 4.0 ended up being scrapped despite the 20 bucks I lost even after running their sample program. Grrr...:mad:

So, once again I went on to a search for yet another program. I was down to the last program sample on my list of 7 software programs.

The winner is Shenandoah Software for MiTrains® & Waybills .

http://www.shenware.com/

There are 3 major points that finally brought my mind to peace.

1.) The gentleman that produced the software, HATES to type! Face it we all get tired of data entry! It is a daunting task and tedious. This I know because I did this on an EXCEL base spreadsheet to my collection. This man took the necessary steps into minimizing typing. Trust me he succeeded in doing this. He used the unique yet ever so familiar "pull down" menu technique. He developed numerous of tables, fields, and information banks on locos (steam & diesel), rolling stock and other equipment. It was also designed to accept new data into the reference tables (information banks) as well.
2.) If you have done an Excel spread sheet like I have…no fear! All that info can be imported into this software with a few clicks of the mouse button! Amazing? Yup! I did it and it was real slick! You also can pull information using the cut/paste table as well.
3.) I had questions with this software as far as adding basic info. For example adding the “new” diesel types into the information banks like SD90/43MAC, or SD70Ace etc. The software designer CALLED me and talked me through the steps. That is customer service. I was sold. I spent several days on this program and learning the ins and outs. I wanted to be sure that I hit everything possible even photos for each subject that could be easily incorporated into waybills and manifest. I found it very user friendly and just plain simple yet so genius! The company was open to suggestions for future upgrades for DCC users in adding a field for addresses. Although I was able to added already using the 2 available indexes within the program. The indexes were versatile and could be used for any other purpose for your desires.

So I urge you once again to look at these programs MiTrains® & Waybills. If you buy both systems on the disc you can get a lot of freebies! Real life industries, information of companies that RR service and others. See for yourself!

:D :D :D :D

Yeah it is!
I just got done doing my Locos diesels and steam. Now I am working on my rolling stock.:rolleyes:

Mine seems to be a case of the Incredible Shrinking Roster. I keep finding myself in situations where I need to ‘divest myself of excess inventory,’ or, sell off the models that don’t fit the final scheme.

http://www.geocities.com/norfolksouthernhinose/RCsCustomDiesels4.htmlCompared to my roster of a few years ago, this is pretty small. But, maybe it’s just quality vs. quantity. I keep telling myself that, but I sure miss some of those models!

Ryan,

This could fit me. From a high of 100 die-easels and 70 steam locos, I'm down to 16 steamers and 5 die-easels. When I settled on the era, area, and "prototype" for my railroad, I found I had alot more locos than I could easily maintain, keep running well, and basically justify. Now if I can just settle on the cars!

Picking up an OLD thread, here's a more complete roster, though I have allot to go still. Be warned, she's 14 pages long...

Picking up an OLD thread, here's a more complete roster, though I have allot to go still. Be warned, she's 14 pages long...

Funny, your 14 page PDF loaded in about half a second. When I try to open the Athearn product announcements, it takes more on the order of 60-90 seconds, and they're usually only one or two pages. Suppose it has to do with photos creating a larger file. Never was a big fan of PDF's anyway :eek: Yes, they're easy to print, but so is a webpage, and how many people actually print them anyway?

Not trying to criticize yours, since it loads in no time flat, but why do manufacturer's insist upon PDF's? Oh well... </rant>

Oh, just FYI, it's Boley, not Bowley ;)

Lol, thanks for the FYI! I'm surprised there's not more errors the dang spell checker doesn't work in the database.

I went PDF cause, well, try making an image of that file! But I understand what you mean, all my PDF's load in little to no time. Check this one out. I don't understand why Athearn did away with the JPEG's.

Funny, your 14 page PDF loaded in about half a second. When I try to open the Athearn product announcements...

snip

...but why do manufacturer's insist upon PDF's? Oh well... </rant>

PDF documents are vector images, so non-raster portions, like artwork samples, can be zoomed many times without loss of image quality. This is useful for checking "the fine print," as it were, on the proposed models. I've found (and reported) a few errors to Athearn on these PDF diagrams and they were too happy to correct the errors. See, there are nutjobs like me who are obsessed with covered hoppers and such, and for whatever reason I am compelled to read (and add up) the dimensional data printed on the model to check it against the prototype. So, I really appreciate the fact Athearn not only gives the buyer a chance to view the artwork at a highly magnified level but is also willing to correct mistakes.

For what it's worth, I also experience long download times for Athearn's PDFs. But it could be worse - I could still be on dial-up...:eek:

Okay, we had a pretty decent thread going over on the Railroad Forum, lets see if we can get it going here...
If you call that a decent thread (its been running over there for over ummmm 4 years now). There was a very good "photo roster" running over here, why didn't you dig that one up and add to it instead?

As I remember, in August of 2004 that forum went down pretty hard and I'm not sure we knew if it was coming back up. Several of the people there migrated over here during th outage.

My Roster

...all HO. Mix of Kato, Athearn, 1 proto 2000 (the gP 30) and an Atlas (CSX Dash 8)

RSD15 AUSTIN & TEXAS CENTRAL IN SVC 442
GE AC4400 CSX IN SVC 49
GE Dash 8 CSX IN SVC
EMD GP38-2 CSX (EX-L&N) IN SVC 2621
EMD GP38-2 CSX (EX-SEABOARD) IN SVC 2524
EMD SD40-2 EMD LP, LLP IN SVC 6047
EMD SD45 GATX , LP LLP (EX CONRAIL) IN SVC
EMD SD40-2 HLCX (EX-SOO) IN SVC 6228
EMD GP35 ILPX storage 759
EMD GP35 ILPX IN SVC 759
EMD GP35 ILPX IN SVC 747
EMD GP30 ILPX patch (EX UP) IN SVC 822
EMD NW2 ILPX patch (EX SP) IN SVC 1904
GE U36C ILPX patch (ex SP) storage 7151
EMD SD70M UP IN SVC 4014
EMD SD90MAC UP IN SVC 8146
GE DASH 9 UP IN SVC 9511
EMD SD40-2 UP patch (EX- C&NW) IN SVC 2639
EMD SD40T-2 UP patch -(EX-RIO GRANDE) storage 5378
EMD GP38M-4 HLCX - UP patch (EX-SSW) IN SVC 1458 REBUILT GP35 BY MOTIVE POWER AS A GP38M-4
EMD SD45 WISCONSIN CENTRAL IN SVC

GE AC4400 ILPX (EX UP) Shell Only
EMD E8 UP xmas special SF-4
EMD GP20 AT&SF RET 5628
SWITCHER CSX OUT OF SVC NO#
BALDWIN AT&SF SCRAPPED NO#
EMD GP38 CSX (EX-L&N) SCRAPPED 6034

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres mine.

Wisconsin Central

2 P2K SD45's
1 Kato SD45
1 Kato SD40
2 Athearn RTR GP38-2s
1 Athearn BB SW1500
2 Athearn F45's
2 Atlas GP40
1 Walthers Trainline GP7LM

SOO Line

2 Athearn RTR SD60s Red/White scheme
2 Athearn BB SD40-2's Red/White Scheme
1 Athearn BB SD40-2 "candy apple" scheme(to be HLCX 7199)
1 Walthers trainline FA2 Maroon/Gold
1 Athearn BB GP38-2 patched milwaukee road
1 Atlas MP15DC *stored*Most likely to be used for parts.
1 Athearn BB GP35 *Stored, used as practice for painting*

Chicago & NorthWestern

1 Athearn RTR SD60
2 Athearn BB SD40-2's
1 Athearn BB C44-9W
1 Athearn F7A
1 Athearn F7B *parts only*

Burlington Northern

1 Athearn BB SD40-2
1 Athearn BB GP50(to be sold/repainted)
1 Athearn F7A *currently stored*

Others

1 Atlas Silver series Fox River Valley SD24 (To Be WC)
1 Athearn Milwaukee Road SD40-2
1 Athearn RTR DMIR SD38 (WC runthrough)
1 Kato DMIR SD38-2 (WC Runthrough)
1 Athearn Genesis CSX SD70MAC (WC Runthrough)
1 Athearn Nickel Plate ALCo *forgets make*
1 Athearn Union Pacific SW1500(to be repainted into SOO 1400)

Dummies

1 Athearn SP AC44CW(WC Runthrough)
1 Athearn SSW SD40T-2(WC Runthrough)
1 Athearn Milwaukee Road U30C(to be sold/repainted)
1 damaged, used for airbrushing practice, Atlas ex Southern SD24

Alec

My roster as I can remember it offhand.

3 BN SD60M's P2K (one three window, two two window)
2 Oakway SD60's P2K
2 ATSF SD75M's Athearn (one re-lettered BNSF)
1 SP SD70M Athearn
1 BN SD9 P2K
2 SP SD9's P2K
1 SP SD9 Athearn Super Detailed
1 SP GP9 Athearn
1 BN GP38-2 P2K
1 BN GP30 P2K
2 SP GP40-2 Athearn Super Detailed
3 SP SD40T-2 Athearn Super Detailed
1 SP SD40 Athearn (Future detail project)
1 SP SD45 Bachmann Super Detailed, reworked
1 SP SD45T-2 Super Detailed
1 BN SD40-2 Super Detailed
1 EMDX SD40-2 Super Detailed
1 SP SW1500 Athearn Super Detailed
1 ATSF/BNSF warbonnet CW44-9 Athearn Super Detailed
1 BNSF H2 CW44-9 Athearn Super Detailed
1 Amtrak F40PH Kato
1 LMX B39-8 Walthers Super Detailed

1 SP 4-8-8-2 Cab Forward Rossi
1 SP 4-10-2 SP Type 3 cylinder Brass Custom painted and detailed.

My roster all HO scale:
KATO SD80MAC---Southern
KATO SD70MAC---Southern
Atlas 8-40CW---soon to be Southern
P2K GP-30---Southern
Blueline AC6000---soon to be Southern

My stuff

Here is what I have:

1 Atlas GP40 Milwaukee Road

1 Intermountain FP7 Milwaukee Road

2 Stewart Hobbies VO-1000 chassis's for 2 Cary Locomotive Works H10-44 shells. Have one shell on and waiting to find another one. Both will be Milw Road

2 Cary Locomotive Works H15-44 Shells. I am looking for 2 chassis's that would be correct. Both will be Milw Road.

Have 2 Intermountain F7A's and 1 F7B on reserve. All three are Milw Road.

Michael

I'm still very green here but my collection is growing.

PS2 Santa Fe GP-60
PS2 Santa Fe GP-38-2 x2
PS2 NW GP-20 (to become Farmrail)
Athearn SP GP-9 x2 (not running, maybe Farmrail someday if I can learn how to lower the nose)
Athearn BN U28B (not running well)

My roster as I can remember it offhand.

1 SP SD45 Bachmann Super Detailed, reworked

I have noticed Bachmann locos listing for $160, is that one of those or one of the old ones you could get for $20? Did they do something to their locos so they think they are worth as much as a Kato?

Athearn SP GP-9 x2 (not running, maybe Farmrail someday if I can learn how to lower the nose)

Lowering the nose is not hard, it just takes a little care. Remove the cab. Mark on the side how high you want the nose when you are done. Subtract the thickness of the material you are making the new nose top out of. Cut on the first line and sand to the second. Use a flat block of Masonite or similiar with sandpaper glued to it for sanding. Glue the new top on and putty the joint or use a solvent type cement and squish a little plastic out so you have something to sand off and that will fill the joint. On one I did, I used the headlight section from the piece I cut out to make the number boards. Fill the center of the cab with a piece of .030 styrene with two windows cut out. To lay out the windows, use a straight edge so they light up and then carefully drill in the corners, to make them round. Cut out the middle and file to shape. I haven't done it but you could probably cut an extra Cannon cab front to fit the gap. Putty and sand the cracks and paint to suit.
To quote the owner of my company, Just Do It. (Yeah, it's Phil but not Nike).

Last edited by a moderator:
Lowering the nose is not hard, it just takes a little care. Remove the cab. Mark on the side how high you want the nose when you are done. Subtract the thickness of the material you are making the new nose top out of. Cut on the first line and sand to the second. Use a flat block of Masonite or similiar with sandpaper glued to it for sanding. Glue the new top on and putty the joint or use a solvent type cement and squish a little plastic out so you have something to sand off and that will fill the joint. On one I did, I used the headlight section from the piece I cut out to make the number boards. Fill the center of the cab with a piece of .030 styrene with two windows cut out. To lay out the windows, use a straight edge so they light up and then carefully drill in the corners, to make them round. Cut out the middle and file to shape. I haven't done it but you could probably cut an extra Cannon cab front to fit the gap. Putty and sand the cracks and paint to suit.
To quote the owner of my company, Just Do It. (Yeah, it's Phil but not Nike).

Awesome. I never knew where to even start until now. I'd like to have the 9's ready to paint so that I can do all four at the same time.

Thanks again!

Back