What's in your wallet^W roster?

Thanks for the "welcome" and the positive feedback!

I decided after posting my comment to review my roster and figure out a method for adding pictures into the spread sheet. I found that it is possible to add "hyperlink" (right click on cell) which you can direct to a folder of your picture files of your loco or rolling stock. So having said that you could create a file folder that contains your pictures in a categorized fashion. As an example a folder for diesels, for steam, etc. Keep in mind that as your collection grows as mine does this also adds to insurance "proof" to have these photos or even... as I posted before help in waybills and manifest.

So next step for me is to do a photo session on my rolling stock and locos and other equip. Need to set up a good back drop for the photo shoot. Another thought to it is possible to front, rear, and side pic views for this "hyperlink" as well. Hmmmm endless possibilities.

Lady_Railfan you also brought up another interesting point or idea. Research your locos etc. The information that you include in each is infinite. So you could have acquisition dates, years of service, history of equip, etc...

I think we all get the idea but again having a roster is important for many reasons but mostly for your benefit. For me was insurance, then a list that I could have when went to shows etc so I would not forget what I had. (I even have my spread sheet downloaded on my multimedia phone. :D

Alcomotive,

You could use the spreadsheet as your data source in Access and create a form that will display all the data you wish. I did this on my old Win2K machine, but I don't have Access on this XP machine so I can't use it anymore. But, the inventory spreadsheet I came up with still works fine. Of course, I haven't kept up with my inventory so much of it is irrelevant these days (I've sold off a great deal of my models over the years).

Although the initial reason I had for applying Excel to my hobby (creating a model inventory) might not be a very useful endeavor to me now, using Excel is definitely still very useful. There isn't a model I build anymore that I don't compile a parts list in a spreadsheet. I often acquire parts for two or more years before actually constructing a model, so having the ability to keep a real-time list of what I need, what I've ordered and what I've received for a given model keeps the purchases on target and the focus on a particular project.

Here are some screenshots of a portion of the old inventory sheet and a portion of the current project sheet:

inventory_sample.gif

projects_sample.gif

Yeah, it's a little extreme! There are around three dozen columns in the first spreadsheet and about double what's visible in the second one. The inventory covers all my railroad items, including what's been sold, so there are about 500 rows (actual collection is somewhere under 200). The second spreadsheet contains 60 or 70 rows, with some not filled in for some models. It is actually just a breakdown of the details on the prototypes and a much more comprehensive parts listing text-only spreadsheet is in the works for each model to be built. Don't tell anyone, but sometimes this is what I do on my downtime at work. ;)

very nice RCH! good set up.
I will post mine when I get a scrn shot of it. mine is a little bit simple. I like your idea of the parts list. Real cool. Keep those ideas coming!

sample of my roster / inventory method ever so changing

my scrn shots as I promised! sorry about the 2nd page i forgot to crop out my second monitor, i use dual monitors on my PC. Notice though at the bottom of the pic that there are tabs for different subjects and ofcourse the top of the 1st page my headings for each column...

oh by the way those of you who dont know this but when you click on the pictures and it opens up a new window for you to view...if you hold down the "ctrl" key on your key board amd scroll your mouse wheel in or out it will zoom the picture for you!

My Motive Power consists of:

HO
SP 9173 SD45T-2 Ath.
SP 9347 SD45T-2 Ath.
SSW 9261 SD45T-2 Ath.
SP 8483 SD40 Ath.
SP 7110 GP40-2 Ath. Blu Box Kit
SP 6917 SD35 Atlas
SP 9735 GP60 P2K
SP 5603 GP-9 Bi-Directional Commuter P2k
Custom Lease 5120 GP-9 P2K
Custom Lease 5284 GP20 P2K
D&RGW 3101 GP40-2 Ath Blu Box( Super Detailing in Progress)
Work in Progress GP39 Ath Blu Box
ATSF 51 Alco PA
SP 1214 2-8-0 Work in Progress Unkwn
D&RGW 5390 SD40T-2 Overland Brass
UP 9359 Dash 8-40 CW Overland Brass
UP 6116 SD60 Overland Brass

Thats it right now for HO. The little Consolidations kinda neat since in its present condition looks Exactly like it has sat in a park for 30 years. Im hoping to get it to Restored condition and use it. :D

O Guage
MTH Premier:
BNSF GS-4 4449 Employee Special
SP GS-2 4412 Daylight

N scale
Atlas SD-35-SOU
Atlas H16-44-SOU
Atlas SD-9-SOU
Bachmann GP-50-SOU
Bachmann GP-50-NS

HO Scale
P2K GP30 (in progress SOU)
Atlas GE DASH 8-40CW( in progress SOU)
The HO scale will hit eBay.

oh by the way those of you who dont know this but when you click on the pictures and it opens up a new window for you to view...if you hold down the "ctrl" key on your key board amd scroll your mouse wheel in or out it will zoom the picture for you!
Do it on this page, it'll change the text size. :p

ok let me see
2 big boys
2 challengers
1 800 4-8-4
2 2-8-2
2 4-8-2
2 2-8-o
2 sd-9
2gp-7
1 e unit
2 pa units
1 eric built a/b
2 f/as
4 f-7s
1 f-3
1dd40x
and a 2 diffrent daylight one in regular paint and the other in freedom train

I asked wondering if they might have been brass or something. I kinda figured they would be Lionel or Bachman (Same thing).:D

Roster Program!!!

You guys are not gonna belive this!!!:eek:

I found a decent software for doing an inventory of your roster....

Please check this out!

I am interested in hear what you have to say!!!!!

I think it is great! You can download it for a trial and then the program cost only 20 bucks!

Real cool!!!

http://www.scotware.net/trains.html

:) :D :)

Back