What's happening in Washington

G'day all...

?..Love to know..Cheers Rod..

Religion and Politics unsavory language are forbidden on this forum please adhere to the rules
Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
its still august. The LIGHT RAIL SYSTEM, Metro is falling apart due to years of incompetent employees and poorly maintained equipment. Also in Washington is the perfectly restored STARSHIP ENTERPRISE at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. Oh, and today its supposed to reach 96 degrees (F) and humidity is about a million percent.

Well now there seems to be a lot of things in Washington to to discuss, good post :D

Willis

I know...no political discussions. However, I would make this statement: Americans are in relatively good shape...Congress has adjourned and last I heard the President is on vacation! :rolleyes:

Why place the moderator, and by extension our hosts here, in a position where they have to police or to stop a discussion that is strictly forbidden by the rules? What pleasure is there in this? I'd like to know.

Not trying to be argumentative here but because there is political discussion/references in the ANPL/Coffee lounge forum, I am assuming that it is only not permitted in the main forums. Is that right? Just a little confused by this.

While, I did not read the original post, before it was edited, why does everyone assume that any discussion of what's happening in Washington would automatically be a political decision. I lived in Metro DC for a period during the '70s, and there was a lot to do. Beyond the tourist stuff, there is CSX moving to replace the old 100+ year old Virginia Ave. tunnel with two new tunnels capable of handling double stacks. The new H Street trolley should be almost operational, And...the Nationals are still the dominant team in the NL East. The big question right now, in Washington, is whether or not Alex Ovechkin is able to play in the upcoming World Cup of Hockey in Toronto.

BTW: Just so y'all know, nothing political goes on in Washington during July and August. It's too hot for that in the summer. :rolleyes:

Not trying to be argumentative here but because there is political discussion/references in the ANPL/Coffee lounge forum, I am assuming that it is only not permitted in the main forums. Is that right? Just a little confused by this.

Tony, the ban on politics applies Forum-wide, including the Coffee Shop. Even though there are a few individuals who insist on posting political stuff there, most of us try to ignore them to keep things from getting out of control.

Ken,

That is the problem with politics religion etc ... any type of attempted mature discussion DOES tend to get out of control. That is a sad fact and is a good reason to ban it from any forum other than ones designed for it.

While, I did not read the original post, before it was edited, why does everyone assume that any discussion of what's happening in Washington would automatically be a political decision. I lived in Metro DC for a period during the '70s, and there was a lot to do. Beyond the tourist stuff, there is CSX moving to replace the old 100+ year old Virginia Ave. tunnel with two new tunnels capable of handling double stacks. The new H Street trolley should be almost operational, And...the Nationals are still the dominant team in the NL East. The big question right now, in Washington, is whether or not Alex Ovechkin is able to play in the upcoming World Cup of Hockey in Toronto.

BTW: Just so y'all know, nothing political goes on in Washington during July and August. It's too hot for that in the summer. :rolleyes:

Hey Boris, what is the chance they will upgrade the Howard street tunnel? Wait... that is political.

We almost had a subway line that would have run over/under Eastern Ave, but that got killed by the new... opps politics again.

Why place the moderator, and by extension our hosts here, in a position where they have to police or to stop a discussion that is strictly forbidden by the rules? What pleasure is there in this? I'd like to know.

Crandell I know personably know Rodney he would never intentionally violate the rules. He spends time on other car forums and they are different. it was an error I can assure you. He won't do it again.

Wait, so now we can't be politically correct because that is political ... so now we can say what ever we want so long as we are no longer going to be politically correct because being politically correct wouldn't be politically correct as politics is banned ... :cool:

Yeah guys, I am only kidding'! :p

Tony, I didn't make the rules and I am also very lenient with those who occasional break them. I've been on this forum many years The rule is simple No Religion No politics No ridiculing another members modeling skills. Now that being said words are just words and can be mentioned in many contexts, in threads; in posts but there are political and Religious venues to discuss those subjects in. This was a political discussion thread it is no longer that. In fact I had locked it until I saw the post that was other things in Washington (true it was kind of a spoof), but one has to admit the poster tried to turn the discussion in line and on topic, Unlike other venues, The members of these forums are the true moderators and report anything that they deem to be out of line and for the administration it becomes a judgment call. We allow a lot of leeway from topic because that is how people normally react with each other when discussing certain subjects.
Have to go now, one of my other hobbies is calling.
Thanks for understanding
Willis

Hey Willis,

We appreciate this forum and the leeway we have here. I like the no politics and no religion rules, I'd bet Tony does too!

Tony and I just have a warped sense of humor. :)

Willis:
In fact I had locked it until I saw the post that was other things in Washington (true it was kind of a spoof), but one has to admit the poster tried to turn the discussion in line and on topic,

I don't know if your comments were in reference to my post, or another. but I was serious in my pointing out that there is more to Metro DC than politics, or some other verboten subject. I actually spent a year, as Conrail's Road Foreman of Engines / Trainmaster at the facility in Southeast DC. At the time, the Chessie, (B&O), still ran their own commuter service, the Southern still operated the "Southern Crescent", Conrail ran MU trains between DC and Baltimore, there was Amtrak, and freight wise Potomac Yard was still open and running full blast, Conrail and Chessie (B&O), shared the Freight Line from RO (RF&P) and Annacostia
This level of activity was plenty to keep me busy.

The only thing political - at that is a stretch - was the POTUS flying past my office window in one of the five Marine Helicopters that always flew by in formation.

In the last couple years the Washington DC Metrorail was extended out to Reston, VA. In in the next few years it will extend to Dulles Airport and beyond to eastern Loudoun County. There will then be high density development (retail, office and housing) all along the extended line. For me, that helps me make the decision to leave the eastern Loudoun County area. Train layout has already been dismantled and is sitting in pieces in the basement of my new home in the next county to the west (Clark County, VA). The eastern Loudoun County area was already too congested (one of the fastest growing counties in the country in terms of population growth), so I want out before that next wave of development starts. My new place is only 30 miles from my old house (35 minute drive), but I will be in a county that is so rural There are only nine traffic lights in the entire county. But, I have heard that development is coming to Clark County. There is talk of doubling the number of fast food restaurants in the county. If that happens, we will have two McDonalds instead of one. Hopefully the old house will sell quickly.

Back