Whatcha using for planning?

kbkchooch

"retired" conductor
Hey Gang,
I've beem looking to get some better track planning software, but what to use? Admittedly, I'm an idiot with track planning. I know in my mind what I want to do, but cannot get it to paper. I've had Cadrail 3 (several years ago) and some version of Atlas track planning software, but both wound up getting deleted after my frustration level hit the proverbial ceiling.
So I guess what I am asking is there an idiot proof, easy to use planning software that might work for me??? (Other than a stencil,pencil, and eraser?):confused::eek::confused:

I'm still a total newbie when it comes to DCC, but I am trying to use JMRI and XTrkCad. They will interface with my NCE USB interface on my laptop. :D

I have to go along with these guys. I started with 3dPlanit and still use it, but after experimenting with XtrxCad, wish that I had saved my money and used it.

Hi,

I used the free Atlas software (RightTrack?) and printed scale plans and cut them out to make a 3-D scale model of the layout (ala Dave Frarie).

Image695852234_01_01.gif

The model let me find several "bugs" before actually starting the layout. Also it was a fun "finally getting started on the layout" project.

I'm sure that there is better software out there but RightTrack was free :)
and it worked fine for me.

Have fun,

Jim Murray
The San Juan Southern RR

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice job on that 3-D model, Jim. You and Dave may have been the only ones ever to have actually constructed a 3-D model. :)

Back