What would you Do? (eBay locos)

I've bought items from the aforementioned seller before and never had a problem with them.

That is not only possible but likely..... However any seller that does enough volume in anything, not just model RR gear, is bound to have a glitch once in a while, that is normal. I have a couple or so other (old) locos made in China and Hong Kong with no problems like this DL-109 had. What I consider important is what the seller does WHEN there is a problem.

I had long considered buying ConCor was a fairly SAFE buy (unless it was really really old and worn out. IMO and just speculating here, the seller might have also considered ConCor a safe item to sell w/o actually testing. To me the BIGger issue was the claim they tested it and "RANS GOOD" when in fact it had a mfg defect. The defect itself was not the sellers fault, that was a QC issue of ConCor and/or who made it for ConCor.

JD

I don't know if it's the same case with N scale, but in HO scale, there are some models made by Kato for Atlas, so they're referred to as Atlas/Kato to differentiate them from later Atlas production runs.

The Frisco U=25B is a ATLAS/KATO unit (made for ATLAS by KATO) the give away is the pilot conversion by MTL which is very ovious if you know what to look for.:)

Sorry, I haven't taken the time yet to read through this entire thread, but here is what I would do in this situation...

If the guy has 100% positive feedback I wouldn't leave a negative unless he was being a real butthead about it all. Maybe he really does think he tested your loco. If he has some negatives I would read though them. If it seems he has done this before I would leave the negative in place. If he doesn't have similar negatives I would ask him for a partial refund to make you happy. Then leave a positive.

You can also leave a neutral.

I have 100% positive feedback on ebay. I strive to keep it that way. It's not really hard to do.

Are model trains a problem with E Bay? I ask because I'm getting back into trains after 50+ year away, and might be interested in EBay. I've bought musical instruments on EBay for as much as $1700, and always been happy. (Well, one exception, but even it wasn't too bad.)

Yes and no. The trick is to know what you are looking for, and to be able to see flaws in the product in the photos. If there is no photo, or if I can't see what I want to see in the photos, I will not buy it.

Being able to recognize the model's brand and product line on sight is also a plus. If not, it would be a good idea to research it on the internet (for example, asking here) before making a decision.

you will see alot of listings where the seller has a different loco type pictured than what is in the description (listed a gp 40 and is selling a gp35). kind of look at buying locos on ebay like buying a used car, they are getting rid of it for a reason. some are honest, and some arent. then there are some that just do not know what they are selling, and have know idea if it is really good, bad, runs or doesnt.

Are model trains a problem with E Bay?

I've had hundreds of successful model train transactions on eBay (buying and selling) with only one minor problem. This thread represents an extreme case, made worse by the OP's actions and choices and made more visible by his inability to let it go. This experience is certainly not typical, and most transactions go smoothly. Just do your research so you know what you are buying and what equivalent models are selling for at retail.

Are model trains a problem with E Bay? I ask because I'm getting back into trains after 50+ year away, and might be interested in EBay. I've bought musical instruments on EBay for as much as $1700, and always been happy. (Well, one exception, but even it wasn't too bad.)

If you look at a sellers feedback on eBay and they have a lot of sales and all 100% feedback, chances are they describe their items very well. And if you aren't satisfied they will make you satisfied one way or another. But it is up to the buyer to do their research. It's not really fair to ask a seller to eat the cost of return shipping if you are not satisfied with an item. What I normally try to do is ask for a partial refund to make me happy. If that doesn't work I send the item back. But that has only happened a couple times. Back in the day, it was risky to buy from a seller outside of the US. But I have purchased quite a few items from Japan and China with excellent results. Just make sure and check the feedback.

Nscaller..............

I you go back to my original post, you will note the seller sold it as "NEW" and the seller said he tested it and it "rans good". It was NOT bought as a used item or had any problems running. I emailed the seller and he re-assured me he actually tested it and it ran good. The PROBLEM is he count NOT have possibly tested it and it run good, NO WAY! I left the seller wiggle room to admit that maybe he had somehow missed testing THIS one.

Since it was SPPOSEDLY NEW and ran properly, I at first suspected it had gotten something in it during shipping etc. I spent a lot of time looking for something to have moved/shifted or gotten into the loco that should not be there.

WHAT I found was a BAD GEAR, with plastic flash in 2 spots causing most of the problem. I repaired the gear and it runs OK now. With bad gear there is NO WAY it ever ran good right out of the factory!
Sellers are HUMAN, humans make honest mistakes, forget things etc, and I allow sellers to be human, but when the guy insisted it ran good (after asking again via email) when he tested it was, w/o question an outright lie, IN THIS INSTANCE.

JD

Yeah, my last post had nothing to do with you or this thread. I was just informing ianc how to shop on eBay. Sorry if that read as though I was referring to you in any way.

depending on how much that i wanted a particular engine would be the determining factor. if it did not run, then you made a decision to fix it, keep it. drop the seller a note saying "what the heck". maybe he tested it, maybe not. buying off ebay, kind of like a box of chocolates.

I bought it because it was a C&NW DL109 and I had bought a nice set of passenger cars at the Wheaton show. I NEEDED a passenger loco for the train.

JD

I have been on eBay for about 14 years now. While it has changed considerably, it is safer for the buyer than before. I have been having pretty good luck picking up older steam locos this last couple of weeks. Read the site CAREFULLY. Some tips:
If they have a lot of feedback and its 99% positive, feel confident that the seller will not want to get bad feedback. I find most will work with you if something goes wrong.
Use PayPal to mediate any issues you may have. It does work.
I like taking things apart and working on them, so I test them when I first get it BEFORE I work on it. If it does not even move, it could be trouble. Contact the seller and ASK IF YOU CAN TAKE IT APART and try and get it running. If they do not respond, you have the option to file negative feedback or a claim.
At that point, you have the option to either ask to return it or work on it. Once you work on it, it's yours.
I haven't been taken advantage of by sellers who do a lot of business.
If the site is "selling a collection for someone who died" or sells mostly candles and quilts, move on.

Back