What Track Planning Software Do You Use Poll

What One DO You Use For Track Planning?

• Total voters
I'll use KENCAD......no offense. Larry but KENCAD has a nice ring to it.....and as you know, good PR means good sales.

I ran a CMM for about 15 years and have *worked* with enough computers...... switching to "The latest & greatest" system/language every 3-5 years..... to last me a life time. Play is another story.
And what is Kencad?

Unwilling to spend money for a CAD program or take the time to learn it even if I was willing to spend the money. So I used SCARM, encouraged by the fact that the author of the program posts here from time to time (and probably took just as much time learning *it* :)). I have managed to work up my entire plan with it, thought it took a lot of time.

I have been working on pencil and paper drawings, too, but I found the program helpful for 3 reasons: 1) The turnout libraries; 2) the ability to quickly render, then erase and re-render as needed, curves to prescribed radii and confirm they will or won't fit; 3) and being able to work out grades for a segment. That last part was tedious going at first, and if I were to do it again -- actually, I probably will do it again -- I'd work out a different procedure for doing so, aided by a spreadsheet along the way.

A pencil and paper ore just fine for me. When I get a rough plan down, I will then set the actual track and turnouts in place. I have helped friends who have used different track planning software and every time something ended up have to be tweaked. I finally have the last of my track laid and I am finished.

I use AnyRail and so far I have not needed to upgrade from the free trail version, but I have very simple track plans. I will eventually buy the full version even if I find a better software to use because they have earned my purchase.

Louis

That is an excellent point about AnyRail's learning curve. I normally like to read the manuals for software, even games before I use them but Anyrail is so user friendly clicking around is all you need to do.

I have been getting around the 50 piece limit by making plans in segments, like modules and printing them out and putting them together. I have used it to design my Lionel Christmas layout, my Lionel permanent layout, my grandsons layouts and now my HO layouts. I enjoy it almost as much as my trains.

I will buy the software as soon as I have a month with some of my train budget left over.

Louis

I have been getting around the 50 piece limit by making plans in segments, like modules and printing them out and putting them together. I have used it to design my Lionel Christmas layout, my Lionel permanent layout, my grandsons layouts and now my HO layouts. I enjoy it almost as much as my trains.

Too bad you don't enjoy it enough to reward the developers for their work by paying for it. Bragging about your workarounds ... wow. If someone came to your workplace and wanted to take part of your check, you'd be happy to give it to them? Intellectual Property is not free.

Too Bad you can't read or comprehend what you do read

Too bad you don't enjoy it enough to reward the developers for their work by paying for it. Bragging about your workarounds ... wow. If someone came to your workplace and wanted to take part of your check, you'd be happy to give it to them? Intellectual Property is not free.

I am getting to old to speak in haste or anger, but I am human and I apologize for letting emotion control me.

The comment that prompted me speaking so hastily is in my opinion an example of what is wrong in our world today. People hear a sound bite promoting an upcoming show on Fox News or MSNC. They read a headline of an Internet news piece or a blog. Suddenly they feel they are informed enough to make a judgment. I suggest we gather all the information before making judgments.

Louis

Too Bad you can't read or comprehend what you do read

I was offended by the comment, to me it implied I am a thief.

I posted an equally offensive comment in response and I regret having done so. I am old enough to know better and I apologize.

This has weighed heavily on me and I have to add further comment.

I stated twice in separate posts that I do intend to buy the software because as I said "they have earned my purchase" Had the developer put a 30 day end to the trial version I would have not discovered how much I enjoy it. I commend them for their choice because it got them one advocate and a future customer in me. Granted I have procrastinated for more then 7 months, but I am a man of my word as I said "I will buy this software".

I do have first hand knowledge of "Intellectual Property" I was self employed until I became disabled. I built my own private label PC's, I was an Industrial Mechanic and I sold many other products. As my health failed I became more and more of a consultant because I could not do the physical work and I gave away a plethora of advice when making sales calls hoping that the potential customer would call me back and pay for my future advice. It served me well and I made a good living. Honesty, respect, proficiency and hard work were hallmarks of my career.

Things like this can easily escalate in to something much bigger. I always tell my grandsons "be like a duck and let it just run off of you with out getting wet" I should have taken my own advice.

I apologize to everyone for speaking in anger.

Louis

Hi Louis,

You are to me commended for taking the time to make such a thoughtful post. And I think many of us can understand how things we should do can be put off for too long, even though we have the best of intentions.

The question I suppose is should you continue to use the software to do productive work or should you put it aside until you can afford to purchase it.

Given that the developer put no time limit on the software I think this is a question only you can decide.

Regards, Frederick

I'm surprised there aren't more plugins developed for google sketch up. People are drawing existing buildings and railway equipment, it can be scaled up and down easily. There are a few track pieces out there, but I can see a definite market niche for a simple to use plugin for layout planning.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

Stoker, you are a stand up guy! The world needs more super heroes like you!

Frederick, thank you for your kind words. I have decided that I have procrastinated too long and I will purchase the full version of AnyRail because even though I only use a small part of it the software has become an important part of my hobby and I should buy it.

Thank you,

Louis

Hi Louis,

I don't suppose I could talk you into buying my friend Randy's 3rd PlanIt program instead? ;);)

(Just kidding)

Your friend Randy is fortunate to have you as a friend!

Are you joking about the software or just about me buying it?

If he really does have a program he should think about publishing it online. I would certainly check it out if you post a link.

I already bought the AnyRail, but one of the reasons I waited was I wanted to check out other software, but never got around to it. I won't rule out buying another if I find something better for me.

Louis

Your friend Randy is fortunate to have you as a friend!

Are you joking about the software or just about me buying it?

If he really does have a program he should think about publishing it online. I would certainly check it out if you post a link.

I already bought the AnyRail, but one of the reasons I waited was I wanted to check out other software, but never got around to it. I won't rule out buying another if I find something better for me.

Louis

3rd plan it is what he was referring to, it's awesome, but has a learning curve.

Www.trackplanning.com, check it out.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

My track plans are so simple that planning software is really overkill (that is a great Motorhead song and now it is stuck in my head, any other Motorhead fans here?)

I enjoy playing with the software, for me it is like a game. It does not take much to amuse to me.

AnyRail is fun and easy to use.

Louis

Thank you for the link, very interesting reading!

3rd Plan is some serious stuff and way out of my league. My track plans are ovals, a figure 8 and a few sidings.

For me using 3rd Plan would be like asking NASA to plan my trip to the grocery store.

Louis

Hi Louis,

I have been using and helping with testing 3rd PlanIt for many years. When I first started looking for design tools I tried them all - those that existed at that time. 3rd PlanIt had a steeper learning curve then the others but it could do so much more.

Over the years it has become a very full featured design tool.

http://www.eldoradosoft.com/

Like many of the tools in this category it is the product of a small firm with limited resources for advertising. Randy does have ads in Model Railroader from time to time.

There is a demo version that you can try - it is limited in the complexity of the layout you can draw and you cannot save your work but otherwise it is the same as the regular version.

I should mention that since I decided on 3rd PlanIt I stopped looking at what was on the market so I have no knowledge of any of the other current tools that may be out there.

Back