What to paint my locomotive #2

what scheme should i paint my locomotive now?

• Total voters

Empire Builder

Great Northern fanatic
Hi guys according to the original thread on what to paint my FP45 (original thread), the glacier scheme was winning, but unfortunately, I went to paint my other locomotive, a GP35, in a scheme that also used Glacier green, & when I opened up the bottle of paint, it had huge chunks in it, only about 4% was liquid, & when we tried to spray it, the paint had so little pigment that it wasn't any good unless I wanted a really crappy color.:(

So, what I'm asking you guys to do is reconsider your choice in the poll & vote for one of the Yellowstone schemes instead. Sorry about the inconvinence.

Agreed. I still think that a loco would look better in that scheme than anything else. You'll regret it in the long run if you don't!
And if you ever start wondering what to paint your next loco, don't. Paint a matched set.

Eric have you checked your paint for the yellowstone scheme? Perhaps they're no good either.
13.gif
Willis

CBCNSfan said:
Eric have you checked your paint for the yellowstone scheme? Perhaps they're no good either.
13.gif
Willis

Yes, I have checked those & they are just fine ( and so is the black), it seems as though it was just the green.

And to everyone else: the reason I was thinking of just doing it in a yellowstone scheme is because I would like to start painting my locomotives as soon as I can, & it would take a while to order a new bottle of paint & for it to get here. ( plus I don't have the money for another bottle of paint right now)

If you guys really think that the glacier scheme is the best, I guess I can wait awhile to get some more paint, but it would take longer since I have to go order another bottle of paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Empire Builder said:
Yes, I have checked those & they are just fine ( and so is the black), it seems as though it was just the green.

If you guys really think that the glacier scheme is the best, I guess I can wait awhile to get some more paint, but it would take longer since I have to go order another bottle of paint.
Eric;

Why don't you take the bottle of dried/corrupted green, go to a LHS, not necessarily a train shop and look through the paint section there for a match. They should have both water and solvent based paints. Don't worry if it not called GN Green, etc, on the lable, as long as the color matches, it doesn't matter what its called. Don't have a LHS? check out the paint section at the local Wally-world/Target/K-mart. They sell water and solvent based there as well. Hardware stores, paint stores, and even car part stores could have a color that is close if not exact.

A friend of mine is a painter for Overland Models. He uses automotive acrylics and lacquers on the models he does for them. His nearest hobby shop is 200 miles away so buying paint through an LHS is out. He also is under a time restraint, so ordering is also out. He take the color chip to the paint store, matches it on their computer and buys what necessary for the run of models he's painting. He has told me he hasn't bought a Model Railroad specific brand paint in over 15 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back