What to do between brass projects

Espeefan

I bought this little flat car kit at the Lisle RPM meet a couple of years ago. I've been itching to build it. The company is Owl Mountain Models. It took a weekend, not bad. The build was fun, and a nice change of pace. Now I have to get busy on the TOFC flats that have been in the "to do" pile for way too long.

IMG_2360.JPG
IMG_2361.JPG

Alan- nice job weathering without overdoing it.
You can almost see the layers of grime that were built up and washed partially away in the rains.
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Mikey, glad you like it! The car was finished with the airbrush, then weathered with washes and Reaper Miniatures latex paints. The figure guys use these, and I actually like them better than Vallejo. The Vallejo paints can leave a shine when you weather over top of them. Pan Pastels went over top of that, then AIM weathering powders. I was pleased when you mentioned layers. That's what I was going for, since that's how Mother Nature does it!

Now you need to get the scale chain to secure the load to the car. maybe next a SSL case Steam Tractor? It only has about a million parts.

Now you need to get the scale chain to secure the load to the car. maybe next a SSL case Steam Tractor? It only has about a million parts.
I’m not sure I’ll use the dozer. I just placed it there as a test. If it does I’ll use wood blocking so the load is removable. I have a couple of Owl Mountain lumber loads that I may use instead.

Maybe a couple of Woodland Scenics farm tractors? They go together in about 20 minutes.

An "older" trailer from Sylvan - or something like that.
That dozer - as much as I like dozers - is just too late model - need one with cable operation - or maybe a couple of smaller ones with the side boom ...(I forget what they are called)

An "older" trailer from Sylvan - or something like that.
That dozer - as much as I like dozers - is just too late model - need one with cable operation - or maybe a couple of smaller ones with the side boom ...(I forget what they are called)
I have a farm tractor load, and the flat car is missing TOFC gear. I’m building a pair of Red Caboose TOFC flats at the moment anyway. I’ll probably do the Owl Mountain lumber load, or I have a Sunshine Model’s resin kit for a pair of crawlers in crates with the tracks showing. The bulldozer is a model 175. Early 1960’s so it’s period correct for the car, though I’d have to pull it with a diesel!

Something about a string of old 40' flats winding thru the RR with nothing on them..I've carried this thought since the late '50s ! Yours is A1 !
I have footage from Pentrex of just such a train. A cab forward pulling a bunch of empty flats.

I have footage from Pentrex of just such a train. A cab forward pulling a bunch of empty flats.

I just simply like shorter cars ... just don't care for the monsters of today - cars or locomotives!
Freight cars are supposed to have roof walks and trains are supposed to have a caboose, IMHO - YMMV!

I just simply like shorter cars ... just don't care for the monsters of today - cars or locomotives!
Freight cars are supposed to have roof walks and trains are supposed to have a caboose, IMHO - YMMV!
I agree. Nothing bores me more than a container train. the only other kinds of trains we have here are endless strings of cylindrical hoppers and/or funnel flow tank cars. Little to no variety. Yawn...ZZZZzzzzz...

I agree. Nothing bores me more than a container train. the only other kinds of trains we have here are endless strings of cylindrical hoppers and/or funnel flow tank cars. Little to no variety. Yawn...ZZZZzzzzz...

Alan, don't forget the endless coal trains............

Back