What the H*** MTH!!!???

So I just got home from work and opened up 1 of my packages. MTH GS-6 just released. Well first the instruction booklet included w/ it says Pensy K4...
Next, there is no couplers or boxes. this is my umtenth MTH steamer and they have all come with the couplers and mounting hardware. Ok MAYBE it was just forgot in the packaging across the pond.

Now some interesting stuff. First I noticed on the bottom of the tender a opening labled DCC/DCS wher it looks like a switch (like BLI's smoke on/off switch) could mount. I find that interesting. An upcoming update to future models hmmm.
The tender to loco connector is completly different. A large piece of plastic 1/2" w x 1/4" l comes out of the loco. It has 2 prongs approx 1/4" long coming off the bottom. The tender has a similar piece coming out of it except w 2 holes for the said prongs. I can see a couple of brass or copper wires just like the old conections. It just looks WAY over sized and kind of weird. I will take pics at club tomorrow and let you guys know how it runs. I also plan on calling MTH and demanding a manual and the mounting hardware for it. I think I can use the stuff from my MTH Mike.

the connection sounds strange. The one thing I dont like about my older version GS4 is that the engine to tender distance is pretty large. Sounds like there are two coupling distances on this new version?

I wonder if there is/supposed to be a switch inside that hole in the bottom of the tender. Maybe it is a toggle meant to switch between DCC and DCS. Or there's a jumper in there or a reed switch...not sure.

This doesn't sound hopeful for me ever seriously considering an MTH product. I got close once, but laid down for twenty minutes and the feeling went away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the little girl at the factory in Beijing who puts the couplers in the boxes had school that day and couldn't work a full 14 hour shift.

:rolleys: "Tank you for calling M.T.H. customer service, dis ist Peggy, hold pleez!":rolleyes::D:p

You guys do know that the definition of insanity is doing the same things more than once and expecting different results,,,,right,,,,guys??;)

Oh good lord people. Just pick up the darn phone and call them. Every time I've called MTH someone has answered quickly, and helped me immediately with my problems.

Don't rely on email.

Oh good lord people. Just pick up the darn phone and call them. Every time I've called MTH someone has answered quickly, and helped me immediately with my problems.

Don't rely on email.
Last time I called MTH, I got a less than helpful response from the obviously English-is-not-his-first-language person. "If you had the DCS system, you wouldn't be having these compatibility issues".:mad:

You had to, just had to remind me,,,about the Kavorkian scarf! LOL!:D
*snicker*
:p

So, pics tomorrow but for an update. The pins are side by side so only one mounting spot. I ran it and it stops at different places on the layout. After a lot of tinkering I found the driver springs are to stiff. They don't let the drivers undulate at all and it lifts the drivers off the rail except for the two opposite corners. It stops moving when that happens. I tried kadee coupler springs but they are to soft. I'm going to try some kadee truck springs when I get to the LHS. Like I said, pics tomorrow!

As promised

img20130228094018.jpg

img20130228092511.jpg

img20130228092519.jpg

So, pics tomorrow but for an update. The pins are side by side so only one mounting spot. I ran it and it stops at different places on the layout. After a lot of tinkering I found the driver springs are to stiff. They don't let the drivers undulate at all and it lifts the drivers off the rail except for the two opposite corners. It stops moving when that happens. I tried kadee coupler springs but they are to soft. I'm going to try some kadee truck springs when I get to the LHS. Like I said, pics tomorrow!
Maybe you can trim a couple coils off the springs, then stretch them back out to length.

nice looking loco !!! that coupling set up is diffrent but its better then athearn /bachmanns mini plug in set up

Back