What should I paint my locomotive?

What paint scheme???

• Yellowstone scheme #1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Empire Builder

Great Northern fanatic
NOTE: READ THE GREEN, BOLD, ITALICIZED, UNDERLINED WORDS BEFORE VOTING.

Hi everybody, as you might already know from a couple of other threads here, I'm starting my own freelanced railroad called "Glacier Railways". One of the two locomotives that I have for it right now is an FP45, & I can't decide what to paint it up as. Here are the three paint schemes that I could paint it: 1.Glacier Green on the sides & black on top (called "glacier scheme #2"); 2. U.P. Armor Yellow on the sides & black on top (called "Yellowstone scheme #1"); 3. DRGW yellow with black on the top (called "yellowstone scheme #2).

Help me decide what scheme I should use!!!!

I've always been partial to the Great Northern and cowl locomotives, so this one is a no-brainer for me. Sorry, Grande fans... :)

And UP fans, sorry about being UP fans! ;)

Eric,

Have you tried downloading drawings of diesels and playing with paint schemes? All you need to do is go to http://paintshop.railfan.net/ download the drawing, then take it into MS paint and then start painting. Be sure to show us what you've come up with, OK

Dan

DanRaitz said:
Eric,

Have you tried downloading drawings of diesels and playing with paint schemes? All you need to do is go to http://paintshop.railfan.net/ download the drawing, then take it into MS paint and then start painting. Be sure to show us what you've come up with, OK

Dan

I tried doing that before, but I can never figure out how to do it because you can't get straight lines, plus if you try to paint it n any promgram (like paint), it covers up all the details such as grills, breaks in the hood, panels, laches, & everything else just leaving you with a wierd shaped blob of various colors. Thanks for the offer, though.

You could just print those drawings out and then use crayons, markers or colored pencils to design your scheme. Then, to share it with us, simply scan it or take a digital photo of it.

Don't underestimate the things you can do with crayons just because kids use them. Some people do incredible drawings with them and I've even seen people use them for weathering! Colored pencils have also been used for weathering (not to take this too far astray...), too. I used to do colored pencil drawings all the time and designed loads of paint schemes that way.

So, don't feel like you're at a dead end because you can't get a computer to do this for you. Do it the old-fashioned way!

Geez, I feel old now....

I can never figure out how to do it because you can't get straight lines, plus if you try to paint it n any promgram (like paint),
Ok here is the one from paint shop. Most short lines use solid colors and a different color on the hand rails and maybe add hazzard stripes to the nose.
I just used what is called "Bucket Fill" and selected a grey color, to color in the white. I don't usually use the paint program but I'll see what I can do with it later

13.gif
Willis

The second one I did with MS Paint

Last edited by a moderator:
CBCNSfan said:
Ok here is the one from paint shop. Most short lines use solid colors and a different color on the hand rails and maybe add hazzard stripes to the nose.
I just used what is called "Bucket Fill" and selected a grey color, to color in the white. I don't usually use the paint program but I'll see what I can do with it later

13.gif
Willis

The second one I did with MS Paint
how did you do that in paint? It has never worked for me.

never mind. I figured it out! finally!

Last edited by a moderator:
the box that comes up in paint when will have a size box, and will have a B I U just click on the B to make it bold of not bold. as for the CAT lettering, I got the one on the side from CAT's website, and the hood CAT off of Google

Well done Eric, now all you have to do is decide on which color scheme:D
Good luck
13.gif
Willis

Eric,

Looks good. I would think about painting the sill (the area below the walkways) black. That would make painting and masking a lot easier.

Dan

Hmmmm.... Looks like the Glacier scheme is winning to me. Guess there aren't many fans of UP yellow & DRGW yellow out there. :)

Back