What SCALE and GAUGE do you model in?

What Scale and Gauge do you model in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
N

NP2626

To round out my other two POLLS, I'd like to ask what Scale and Gauge we all model in. If you model in Z Scale Narrow Gauge; or, another scale's Narrow Gauge, please explain in your response. Since I have no idea how many Narrow Gauges per scale there are,for a given scale, I have probably left some narrow gauges of this POLL! I meant to include G Scale Narrow Gauge; but, the Poll Software only allows 10 choices. However, you can explain what Narrow Gauge in G or any other scale's Narrow Gauge you model in. Thanks! The Miss Management!

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been a goodly amount of votes; but, not many respondents; two, to be exact! Yesterday the automatic calculating that the software does was screwed up. There were maybe the same amount of votes as today; but, the HO total was stated to be 100% with the other totals still showing. So, there was 9 votes for the other scale/gauges; but, HO was still 100% of the votes!

HO for me with a side order of On30 and a dash of G.
I'll be thinning out the heard soon, not sure what will be left over.

If I add all the percentages together, I get 146.7 total, It also states that the total number of votes is 17, whereas 16 voters voted for HO, alone! This doesn't make much sense! I would suggest not paying attention to anything other than the number of votes. As of today, 2/17/2020 @ 8:20 in the morning there are 25 votes for all scales and gauges. I get the HO percentage to be 64%, not 94%. I am probably wrong.

I’m modeling Ho, I still have some N left from my conversion. Doubt I will do anything with it anymore.

Last edited:
Looks like they way the poll is set up, you can vote for more than one option. So if someone models quite a bit in HO and O, and they check those boxes, it probably messes with the way it calculates percentages. ie - if only one person had voted in my scenario above, HO and O would each show 100%.

malibu43, Yes, the poll was set-up so that a person could vote for as many scales and gauges as they like. This reflects real life more than only allowing one scale; or, gauge! I would not think this should screw up the percentages. However, if it does, I think the percentages aren't as important as the number of votes a Scale; or, Gauge receives!

I built one Sn3 stock car, a PBL kit and it was great fun to do so, as Sn3 is a scale/gauge, where it is necessary to build your models from scratch; or, kits to participate in Sn3. However, simply because I have built one kit, I don't feel that I am an Sn3 modeler and therefore did not mark Sn3 as a scale I participate in. Although I would love too, I'm just to heavily invested in HO!

I am rather surprised that no one is modeling in Z scale. Given the discussion this scale gets in the press, I would think someone is modeling in it. I'm also surprised that On30 hasn't gotten more votes!

I suppose I should post rather than just clicking in the survey.
  • I still have remnants of N-scale that I switched to in 1970, but went back to HO in 1981.
  • I am mainly HO scale.
  • I have some pieces of HOn3 equipment but I consider all that just HO. I mean it is still 1:87 so why separate it?
  • A few pieces of American Flyer just for kicks. S-scale (the only created in USA gauge! Even TT 1/10th inch to foot didn't originate here).
  • I "model" in O-gauge that is 1:48th scale for everything except the gauge of the track which is 5'.
  • I "model" in G-gauge that is 1:20.3 scale. Officially called Fn3 scale. The rails represent 3' gauge. Mostly fun at Christmas time. Was originally going to go outside with it. But now if I go outside, I'm going to go to 7" or 15" gauge stuff that I can ride on.
  • Finally I have some standard gauge. It is sort of like the G-gauge of today. Toy train makers used it for several scales. I've got the original IVE's trains of the 1930s. They are probably closest to 1-Scale which is 1:32.
The results so far look pretty close to the surveys I've seen in other places.

Why wasn't I given the choice of true O SCALE?

This is the 2-rail equivalent of the Lionel 3-rail stuff, which is called "O-Gauge", and is more realistic in its 1/48 scale modeling of detail.

Brakeman Hal

Last edited:
NOPE!

It's referring to the 3-rail Lionel equipment, Rico, which is known as "O GAUGE".

Look up the definition of "O SCALE" vs "O GAUGE".

O Scale is 1/48 scale 2-rail, and O GAUGE is for Lionel's 1/48 scale 3 rail!

I operate in the more realistic O Scale 2-Rail.

Hal

Last edited:
I know the difference Hal, I have both.
On my screen it actually shows O scale and not O gauge, but your mileage may vary. ; )

Last edited:

Back