What might be possible to do in this small space?

bigken462

I’ve just about resigned myself that if I am ever going to have any form of a layout that I can work on and enjoy year round is going to have to be a HO scale or smaller. The hard part is, 100% of my sets are O gauge so this move is going to be costly and require a new approach. Not that I have much, but the 30 cars and new DCS system I purchased last year is all but giving my closet good company while I wait for the holiday seasons to come back around.

For various reasons, I have always been a home renter. The house I live in now could be my dream home, but that’s for another day. Ultimately, anything I do, I must do so with the expiations that I will have to pick up and move. Sadly, that move day for now is quite possible by June of next year. It’s doubtful I will find ownership of anything for a while, and I’m sure the limitations of my next place to live will more than likely be the same as now. It is what it is.

Never the less, for now, I have a area behind my sofa that is about 4 ½ X 9 and a couple feet give or take on the end. This area is the only place in the house that is completely off the beaten path that could be used without being in the way of traffic or furniture. My question is: What can be done in this small of a area? Obviously that is a very subjective question. My interest includes maybe a small cityscape, farm or crop land, and maybe a coaling tower. I would very much like to put some rock formations or mountain scenery in. I don’t particularly have a large interest in prototypical rail yard operations, but it would be nice to have some switching operations around an industry or something. I’m becoming increasingly interested on coal after seeing a ton of videos.

IMG0705-L.jpg

IMG0706-L.jpg

My next question is that I was wondering since MTH is now selling HO engines, would I be able to use the MTH DCS AIU and TIU that I use for O scale to operate them? Obviously the hardest part for me is having to start over from the first rail spike. I still plan to operate my O gauge stuff during the holidays as those are my favorite, but if I’m ever going to be able to do anything year round, I gotta force myself to move beyond the large real estate needed for O gauge.

I’m open for suggestions. I should add that I do have RR track v-4, but I don’t think I have any HO scale libraries unless some free sample layouts came with it. Since the space is only easily open on the ends for operations and viewing, not sure what I could do with it. Obviously reach is not a problem since I could easily move the sofa in a time of derailment or adjustment. Never the less, I’m wondering what others may have done in a area similar to this size and location. I don’t think I would be interested in anything smaller than HO, but would still like to see what may could be possible with N scale. But honestly, I don’t know how I am going to get my ham fisted hands in the area to build HO models, much less N stuff.

Thanks much,

Kenny

You could go my route and do a shelf layout. You won't have the run around capability, but you can set up a switching yard with several industries.

I hijacked the Federal Street layout with some minor alterations. The layout is 2'x10'

ryblayout.png

Last edited by a moderator:
A switcher shelf layout in HO is probably the best route, but you could put a pretty serious N scale layout in that amount of square footage, with continuous run options that would support some of the longer equipment. But if you're concerned with your ability to manipulate N scale stuff, you might avoid that to keep it a positive experience.

I really like that switching layout Rybcon shared - I need to look into something fun like that for my On30 dreams.

I understand your concerns with N scale. Reading the topic of your thread, that's the first thing I thought of. At this point, please reconsider it. I was surprised when I went to the local hobby shops and discovered how much there is available for it.

In your position as a renter, you could potentially need to move it and I think that should come into play. Also with N scale, you get more bang for the buck when it comes to available space. I don't know price wise what it looks like or exactly how much stuff is available.

I hope that somehow helps!

Like Railrunner said, N scale would give you a heck of a lot of room to do everything you want but I understand the fat finger, bad eyes thing as well. I have an Ntrak module that is 30"x 6' layout that has a lot of stuff. HO is what I do so it just waits for another meet. Could you possibly do an O scale switching layout like Rybcon suggested and use all your stuff? Whatever you do, make it modular, of course!

I would think you might be better off joining a club. That would offer you a bit more room to experiement with what your interests are.

Thanks for the replies and links. Looks like I'll have to do quite a bit of reading on here. I pulled up my RR track software and seen that i'll have to purchase another library. Only 9 bucks, so it's nothing to cry over. I was surprised to see so many types of HO track. Which leads me to a few more questions.

1. Will all HO trains work on all HO track? What I mean by this is I see several types of tracks with codes...Can't think of the numbers off hand but for example.....Code 83, code such and such and so on. Is this simply brands of tracks or tracks made for specific HO type trains?

2. I'm looking for something I can ballast myself. I would like to stay as far away from anything resembling Fastrack, realtrac etc. I've had enough of the toy-like rail.

3. I'll be building this with the intent on using wireless command. I'm still wondering about the possibility of using my MTH DCS system, but have a gut feeling, I'll be needing to fork over the funds for some other type of controller.

Many more questions, but for now, hung up on the dozen or so types of HO track to choose from. So as a simple question I guess. Which track offers the morst realistic view?

Ken

Generally all trains will run on all track, but European equipment has the reputation of being made with oversized flanges that give a bumpy ride on smaller rail. The rail code is simply its height in thousandths of an inch. Code 100 is common, but it's too big to be realistic in HO scale; code 70 or 83 would be more prototypical.

Might I suggest that instead of spending money on a new library of track, just download for free, Xtrackcad. Its free and comes with 92 libraries that covers all scales, with most track brands and many buildings, cars and locos as well.

This is the software many of us use, and although it has a somewhat steep learning curve, by following the built in demos and the tutorials available on line, you generally get the hang of it quickly.

Do a search for it, and several places to download from will come up. The best is the location on Sourceforge.

If you are interested in XTrackCAD, simply go to its home page:
http://www.xtrkcad.org/

There is a link for downloading, as well as links for documentation, including the very helpful "Getting Started" section.

It's an excellent program, and as Carey said, it's FREE.

- Jeff

I'm New to model railroad. And i got me a bachmann HO eztrack train set. I set it up on a 4X4 table. And didnt like it. I have enough room in a small bedroom for a 4X8 table. So Today i went and got the lumber to build it. And got some extra track. and this is the layout im going to start off with.

GfAuy.jpg

the program i use is anyrail4

http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html

would it be an option to do an L-shaped layout that also crosses the two windows on the side wall and goes up to the door on that wall?

Smile
Stein

I'm really worse than any women could dream to be with not being able to making up my mind of what I want to do. This house offers a pretty spacious living room and some days I look at that place behind the sofa and think how cool a layout would be right there. Then I get to thinking about the spare bedroom which is about 11x12 in which I may could do something. Currently this is where I have my computer and work bench set up at. After living in an apartment for 13 years, I got tired of having my computer and all the stuff that goes along with having a cluttered work desk in there. I will have to admit that it's nice using the living room for just that as I can keep it nice and clean in case I have company. Which then gives me the freedom to keep my play room just a dang cluttered as I wish. Lol Often I have to pry myself from this computer and go back in there to simply enjoy the recliner. So in a way, having this play room away from the TV is nice. Now with that said, if I could find a convenient place to set my other stuff up at, I think of the possibilities of what I could put in this extra room. The problem I see is that I have three walls that either has a door or window in it and I think because of that I'm really restricted on what kind of layout I could have in here. One of the other problems with building in the living room that I really didn't take into consideration before was the extra expense for bench work. While I may could get away with black felt fabric covering the framing in this smaller room, I doubt I would want that in the living room. To add any kind of hardwood trim, molding, cabinet doors ect. to make something look nice for a living room can get costly fast. This is something I wished I would have given thought about before even posting. But I do now have the HO library for rr track software and can more easily put a layout together and see what I can do. I think for now, it's time to turn up the heat with the search function to see what others have done.

Eventually I guess it will be some give and take. Grrrr. For 13 years I survived in a one bedroom, one closet apartment wishing I had more space. Now I'm in a three bedroom home, spacious living room, tons of closets and a enclosed garage and still can't seem to have enough space. Lol

Who would have ever thought it would be so damn hard to give up your play room - to essentially make another play room. Lol
IMG0709-L.jpg

Why would you need to give up your computer and work room for a layout?

You can run a layout around the walls (or some of the walls) on a not too wide shelf that will run above the computer desk and work table (and recliner) :)

Smile,
Stein

I agree with Stein. I think your "office" would be a great space. Maybe start with a shelf layout on the opposite wall built so you could add on to make a runaround layout in the future. Believe me I'm ENVIOUS of the space you have available!

If you are renting the place you currently live in, does that mean you must avoid drilling holes in the walls? In that situation you probably should use some type of free-standing benchwork. That will also make it easier to dismantle and transport to your next place.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't have benchwork in front of your window, unless you need to keep the shades open and don't want people to be able to look in and see the layout. Based on your photo, I came up with this tentative plan for where you could fit benchwork and still leave plenty of space for aisles. Since I don't know which walls are 12ft vs 11ft, I just made an 11ft square area to be sure everything could fit - you can always extend it an additional foot on either axis. I'm also guessing you wouldn't need to open the closet door a full 90* out to be able to put reasonable-sized objects in there.

I think you could fit a decent point-to-point switching layout on that surface area.

If you are renting the place you currently live in, does that mean you must avoid drilling holes in the walls? In that situation you probably should use some type of free-standing benchwork. That will also make it easier to dismantle and transport to your next place.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't have benchwork in front of your window, unless you need to keep the shades open and don't want people to be able to look in and see the layout. Based on your photo, I came up with this tentative plan for where you could fit benchwork and still leave plenty of space for aisles. Since I don't know which walls are 12ft vs 11ft, I just made an 11ft square area to be sure everything could fit - you can always extend it an additional foot on either axis. I'm also guessing you wouldn't need to open the closet door a full 90* out to be able to put reasonable-sized objects in there.

I think you could fit a decent point-to-point switching layout on that surface area.

And this right here gentleman is why you can't put a price on a good forum. I never once thought of a peninsula type thing coming out like that. OMG my wallet is so going to hate you. Lol

As for renting, while I'm sure the occasional nail for a picture would be ok but out of respect for the owner, I would not feel comfortable with wall attachments. He has chosen to rent this place to me for 1/2 of what it should be listed for in hopes that I would choose to purchase it, and still not knowing what is possible for me to do in terms of buying this property, I would rather not do anything to diminish the integrity of the home.

I'm not sure what kind of program you used to make this drawing, but if I were to give you the exact measurements, do you think you could squeeze those in there? I really like that drawing......Heck at this point, I'm just about ready to toss the computer in my bedroom.......Too bad my lil nephew is not older or I would use his room for my office. Just doesn't seem fair to evict all his toys and teddy bears for the sake of my train addiction. Lol

I'm not sure what kind of program you used to make this drawing,

The blue 11x11 grid lines are from an empty XtrkCAD template, viewed at 24:1 magnification, of which I just saved a screen image, and edited it with a cheap imitation Photoshop wannabe to draw the additional lines and shapes.

...but if I were to give you the exact measurements, do you think you could squeeze those in there? I really like that drawing......
Sure, go ahead and tell us the measurements, and I'll see what else I can come up with.

I think perhaps I can build something similar to this in RR track program. Now that some ideas are flowing, I'll see what I can come up with.

Kenny

Back