What line and era, and why?

Rednarb

I love trains!
Just curious to know your thoughts on your layouts. Can you answer, in as detailed or as simply as you wish, what line and what era you chose to model in and why?

Also, what did you use as your primary resources for accuracy?

Much obliged!

Southern Pacific 1885 because I came to this hobby fresh from Cowboy Action Shooting and the Old West was fresh on my mind. I picked that area of the country because I was a small kid in that area. I think.

BNSF and UP in the modern era, Cajon pass area (I like the helper units), always modern, just because, again, I like the units. Plus the challenge of keeping a layout modern is quite exciting.

..., what line and what era you chose to model in and why?

I've modeled the 1968-era B&O, and - during the last 3 years - mid-1990's CSX. B&O was the local railfan line when I first became active in model RR'ing and I could see it every day, so naturally I was attracted to it. With CSX, I first wanted to try to get my kids interested by modeling something they were all likely to see in real life. Kids weren't won over, but I discovered [or should I say re-discovered?] that railfanning is a very important part of my modeling. That's why I almost lost interest in mrr when I was still doing B&O 25 years after its demise.

Our club is based on the area around us. It's mostly PRR with the East Broad Top narrow gauge interchange in Mt. Union (where our club is) The PRR used to drop cars in Mt. Union then a standard gauge switcher took some cars to a timber transfer crane and the cars were lifted to swap off the trucks for narrow gauge ones..then a narrow gauge train forwarded the cars to small towns along the way to Robertsdale Coal Mines at the end. Coal was then brought back to Mt. Union to a major coal wash plant that supplied factories and homes, ganister rock was also brought to 3 brick yards in M.U. that produced fire bricks for kilns in the steel industries all over. We have the EBT in HOn3 and PRR in HO complete with dual gauge track and switches in the interchange area. Then the PRR goes to Gallitzin Tunnels as our other end. It's all done in 1955 era because it was last years of the EBT and also a transition era that we can run both steam and diesel. EBT is now a tourist attraction which draws a lot of fans and we get some fans to visit us. It's also a local interest for those who want to re-live history and for the kids as a history lesson. We've used allot of books and locals as personal inputs. Some visitor point out homes where they use to live. They could see the EBT out their front window and watch the PRR out the back. We have taken photos of buildings that still exist and books on ones that are gone. Mostly everything has to be scratched built or kitbashed because they just don't make every home/ business we need.

Texas & Pacific primarily, with a little Houston & Texas Central all in the 1930's in central Texas.
I just started this hobby in 2005, so I'm still learning alot from everyone here.
I chose these roads because the T&P operated where I live now (Longview,TX), and the H&TC where I grew up (Bryan/College Station, TX). I like steam (and the H&TC was absorbed into the SP in the mid- to late-30's). Also, I can reasonably run rolling stock from lots of road names. Most of my resources are on the internet.

Union Pacific RR is my mainstay since I started the hobby full time in 1989. First train set was 1974 NYC but since changed.
Using modelers licenses because it is what I like and want.
Various lines & scenes mixed together from North Littk Rock, Ar to Sherman Hill.:D With a little free lance work.;)
HO scale
Era is from 1935 to present.:eek:
So steam and diesels are a main stay. Time warps are frequent.:D
I do have some but very limited power of fallen flags as well. Also some EMD, ALCO & GE demonstrators.:D
I chose this RR because of the diversity of loco power and lines even before the the start of mergers... errr... acquisitions of MoPac, SP, DRG, MKT, WP and CNW. Because of these RR lines and locos acquired I became even more devoted to UP. I think like BNSF, UP became a better RR due to the merges etc. CSX though....is an unfortunate case.

Last edited by a moderator:
As my user name suggests, I have an interest in the old west so chose to model circa 1885. I chose the Bovee And Defiance (BAD) Western because my wife's maiden name is Bovee, my layout's cowtown is Defiance (Tombstone was taken). My inspiration and accuracy gauge is the stereo-typical Hollywood western.
Doc

Hi Rednarb , I model a railine that ran back in the 1890's but is updated to the late 1950's into the 70's so you will see mainly diesel power running around . There is also a lot of NYC mailinng through !

New York Central in the modern-day, because I love the historic New York Central, I'm not inspired by any of today's mega-corporations on rails, and I love modern equipment.

Several years into this concept, I relish in the increased flexibility I have in modeling "today's New York Central". I can literally do anything I want, and borrow the best ideas from several railroads as I put together my dream railroad. If I had stuck with a prototype, say BNSF or UP, I would be severely restricted in my modeling options (have to do what they do) and wouldn't derive nearly as much fun from the hobby as I do now.

Deciding on a modern NYC was by far the best decision I made during my 20 years in the hobby.

Wow! I love all the diverse answers and appreciate your replies very much. I started this hobby recently and through these forums and other resources I've learned so much but most importantly - Slow down & plan it out, but most important, find out what you really want to do. This is a long-term project not to be taken hastily.

Anyway thanks again.

I haven't picked an era yet. I love love LOVE steam engines so I'm leaning toward late 1800's. Though I ALMOST love just as much the early diesels and electrics.

I'm new to the Colorado area, recently moved from my home state of Texas. So I think I want to do some late 1800's D&RGW for the ~new~ local flavor and I can learn some of the local RR history as I go. The scenery is quite nice as well!

Anyway, thanks for clicking, and especially thanks for your replies. I look forward to learning more about you folks and your hobby!

Always glad to have another 1880's layout around, but one word of caution. There isn't a lot of ready-made stuff for this era, either in structures, locos or rolling stock. Some of the craftsman style kits can work though.
Show us some pics along the way.
Doc

I started out about 10 years ago modeling the 60's, but that didn't last long. I got the idea to model modern day & named my RR; "GAP" because it covers a wide range of countryside. I like the modern day buildings, large warehouses, newer vehicles & long diesels, long freight & passenger cars. I have some steam engines, but hardly ever run them. I have some steep grades & steam just don't pull like a diesel. I've been doing this for many years & modern is my thing, NOW.

Wow! I love all the diverse answers and appreciate your replies very much. I started this hobby recently and through these forums and other resources I've learned so much but most importantly - Slow down & plan it out, but most important, find out what you really want to do. This is a long-term project not to be taken hastily.

Anyway thanks again.

I haven't picked an era yet. I love love LOVE steam engines so I'm leaning toward late 1800's. Though I ALMOST love just as much the early diesels and electrics.

I'm new to the Colorado area, recently moved from my home state of Texas. So I think I want to do some late 1800's D&RGW for the ~new~ local flavor and I can learn some of the local RR history as I go. The scenery is quite nice as well!

Anyway, thanks for clicking, and especially thanks for your replies. I look forward to learning more about you folks and your hobby!

Our club models D&RGW in the 1920's. I myself modle the Southern Railway in Modern day. I love Southern's paint scheme and I also love modern day engines so there you have it.

-Smoke

Southern Pacific 1980-1984, lots of SD9's, Geep 9's, switchers by the millions, tunnelmotors and tunnelmotors and tunnel....SD45's. Full light packages on road diesels and on switchers. Grey and red paint scheme, well weathered rollingstock, early double stack as a single five unit set in a manifest train, SP "golden pig" trailers on flatcars, sugarbeets in the old gondolas. Drag freights from Oregon with up to 6 SD 9's, sometimes all boxcar trains with 80% SP/SSW 50 footers...
Desert scenery, like Nevada's Mina branch and the Modoc line.
Recommended reading: SP historic diesels vol 1-13, SP in color Vol 1 -5, Southern Pacific Motive Power review 1966 till the end in 1996. And my most favourite books: Brian Jennison and Vic Neves: SP Oregon Division and SP Sacramento Division, both worth a million for a 1980's Espee fan and modeler with excellent photographs.
BTW did I mention SP SD 9's?
:)

Regards,

René

Evening gang. For my era,I have chosen the very late 1950's thru 1979,L&N,Southern,CofG,NC&Stl,TA&G.The Louisville and Nashville is the primary road,with the Southern,and the others,in the secondary position. The reason I chose this era is,is that it's the one I remember growing up with. Although,all I remember is the L&N and Southern.Also because my grandfather used to work for the old L&N.William.

As someone on a forum once said, "I model 1950... give or take 40 years" I was born along the time of the transition era, so I saw plenty of steam engines, but strangely enough I now like diesels on my layout. I run Norfolk Southern, Southern, Georgia and Central of Georgia (when I can find them). There's a UP GP-9 and a GM&O SD-40-2 running around here also. They're leased power, don'tcha know ;) There's a 4-4-0 American doing sightseeing duty and I haven't figured out why I have the NW Class A steamer yet. Sweet engine though.
I've only been in the hobby a couple of years and haven't decided yet what I want to model when I grow up.
On second thought, I don't want to grow up so I may never settle on one line and one era.. :D
Jarrell

I have a couple different areas I model, because just one doesn't do it for me.

Bottineau, North Dakota in July~August, 1991
Western Georgia in the late 80s
Fort Worth, Texas in the late 80s, although I can be interested in virtually any time period in Cowtown

I grew up and still live in Fort Worth, my family is from Bottineau, ND and I went to college in Carrollton, GA.

The best part of these particular times and places, for me anyway, is the wide variety of equipment you could see on a regular basis (and re-enact in miniature).

I don't have a layout yet ( I don't own my own home), BUT, I will model Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad in the present. I want to model their line from Blue Island Yard, North, To Norpaul Yard. Why?? Well, mainly because several railroads use IHB's line to get through Chicago. I won't be limited to JUST modelling IHB power, I can model just about any railroad in the chicago area!!!

I also have enough motive power to model ROCK ISLAND in the late 70's to early 80's!!!!

I can also model a train from the ILLINOIS CENTRAL GULF. (1970's)

All in all, I'd model Chicago, just because of the variety.

I model the Hill Lines (GN, SP&S, NP, CB&Q), up to Mar 1970. That's what my permanent layout will be. However, I also model the Modern Day, which is a freelanced shortline based on my current layout (which could also run the Hill LInes stuff, since it's generic). Which means I have tons of equipment.

The permanent layout will also be generic in nature; I'm not really planning on modelling any specific real location. Don't really have the space for it (HO Scale), but if I win the Lotto and move to a bigger house....

:D

Kennedy

Back