What Kind Of Glue?

Curtis

I’m using the pink home insulating foam to build up my mountains and I’m not sure what type or brand of glue to use to keep them bonded together. I’ve heard that if you use the wrong type of glue it all turns into a gooey mess. :confused:

Curtis said:
I’m using the pink home insulating foam to build up my mountains and I’m not sure what type or brand of glue to use to keep them bonded together. I’ve heard that if you use the wrong type of glue it all turns into a gooey mess. :confused:

I like Aileen's (sp?) brand white glue in the purple bottle from Walley World. It's the thick blend and works great for foam, roadbed, etc. There are glue types that will chemically react with foam. White glue works fine.

I've been using Elmers glue for many years on green, pink & white foam.
Everyone to their own glue types. When U use Elmers it has to sit for at least 24 hrs. to bond. If you need to take it out later, it comes apart easier by prying it apart w/a putty knife. Some use a hot melt glue gun. Liquid nails is good too. I always lay some weights on mine to help hold it down. If you put it together at an angle & want the glue to set, push a nail into both pieces(long nail) & leave till it dries & then pull the nail out. Sometimes I leave the nail in to get that xtra holding power. I've gotten away from foam almost alltogether. I use Celotex ceiling tiles, but, that's a whole scenery idea that's been around for a long long time.

Larry

Thanks for the advise guys.

I tried the Elmers white glue route last night because I have a bunch of that stuff laying around. We'll see tonight how well it holds. This is my first layout using foam. So far I have to say that it has been easier to work with than the old newspaper and plaster method. Although, I have to say, I think it makes a bigger mess, and I don't think I'll ever get all the tiny pink particles vacuumed up.

Back