what is your favorite engine

BIG DOG

If you were given a choice of only 1 engine body style but could have as many as you want what would it be?
post a pic as I am not great with engine names just looks

mine is the Alco RS 3

For some reason I love SD80MAC's
2hokat376344csxsd801gl4.jpg

-Smoke

I would have to say either #499 (a sister engine of the NYC #999 that set the land speed record way back when)

4-4-0No4991w.png

or my 2-6-6-2 USRA Mallet, the workhorse of the fleet.

MalletUpGrade03aw.png

Last edited by a moderator:
nice pic(s) guys
Ray how did you get smoke comming out in all the right places?
that's awesome!!
me being re-aquainted with the hobby, i can't seem to find a N scale steam engine that puffs smoke otherwise I'd have a 4-8-4 northern but me likes that 2-6-6-2

This is one of those threads I have a hard time posting to because I can never pick.

SD80MAC
SD90MAC (all versions)
AC6000CW
SD70ACe

Thats a tuff question!..I have so many!!
here's some:
Pic #1 Alawys favored the GP-38s
#2 The K4 from the PRR line
#3 SW1500 switchers
#4 My local favorite East Broad Top #12 "Millie"

Last edited by a moderator:
My fave engine is the first one I ever bought. A GP38-2. It was a crappy model that never ran right and could barely stay on a straight length of flex track, but I loved it nonetheless. I still have it after almost 15 years. I used it for painting experience before turning it into a static workshop display scene. I'm probably the only guy ever to cut up an engine for the sole purpose of using it that way on the layout.

SRT.

If I could run ONE specific loco style on my trains, it would HAVE to be the GP40X. My private road rosters 50 of them!!!! (none modelled yet!!!)

Second choice would be split between GP38-2's and MP15DC's.

I love them all. But my all time favorite locomotive has to be the 4-4-0 American, especially the early wood burners with the fat smokestack.

A close second is the EMD E and F series..

Oh and that GP7 close up there too.

Back