What is your favorite Building on your layout?

My favorite structure is my junk yard. It can service two gondolas at a time. But more importantly it serves as a temporary depository for detail parts. We all know the deal - you need one detail widget and they come in packs of two or three.... I learned long ago to clean them all, prime and paint them all and use the best one. The remaining ones I "toss" in my junk yard. When I'm planning details for a new structure I go shopping at the junk yard....

Looks like a 59 Plymouth herse.
My dad passes a few years now in his 90s but his first job was with a blacksmith who did horses/ponies reshoeing he was hired fulltime by the local coal mine,and my dad said several times he did the coal ponies at least once in the mine as a shoe was stuff somehow

Not sure this is my favorite all time but for now it is the Crex warehouses. I recently had decals made. These are modelled from buildings that stood here in the early 1900's

IMG_2975r.JPG

Have fun!! Dave LASM

Not sure this is my favorite all time but for now it is the Crex warehouses. I recently had decals made. These are modelled from buildings that stood here in the early 1900's

View attachment 157951

Have fun!! Dave LASM
Shame about the corner wall, some people add board to curve and a void that issue.

but the colours and the weathering give this an excellent sense of depth, you did it tall to show off the building for the thread,but I think if you chopped off the top of the picture with the building at the end of the track visible but not the corner wall you’ll fool a good number of people into believing it’s real, very nice work btw.

My dad passes a few years now in his 90s but his first job was with a blacksmith who did horses/ponies reshoeing he was hired fulltime by the local coal mine,and my dad said several times he did the coal ponies at least once in the mine as a shoe was stuff somehow

Welsh Coal Mines...

My Father's Mother's side of the family is from Wales. My great grandparents came to the U.S. from Wales back in the early 1,800's, and brought tern metal skills with them. They settled in the hills of Pennsylvania and what is now West Virginia, where a lot of coal mining was taking place.

Their last name was Davies, which I hear is a very common Welsh name. My Grandfather's Father's side, had a tradition to give their children their Mother's maiden name as their middle Name. But for my Grandfather, they dropped the "e" and gave him the middle name "Davis" instead. Supposedly, to help shed the "poor coal miner" stigma associated with Welsh immigrants of the time/place.

For some reason, that side of my family harbored quite a resentment toward Catholics, especially the Irish... I never dug in to find out why... I just always knew it was important to them, but I learned to not be closed minded in that regard.

Welsh Coal Mines...

My Father's Mother's side of the family is from Wales. My great grandparents came to the U.S. from Wales back in the early 1,800's, and brought tern metal skills with them. They settled in the hills of Pennsylvania and what is now West Virginia, where a lot of coal mining was taking place.

Their last name was Davies, which I hear is a very common Welsh name. My Grandfather's Father's side, had a tradition to give their children their Mother's maiden name as their middle Name. But for my Grandfather, they dropped the "e" and gave him the middle name "Davis" instead. Supposedly, to help shed the "poor coal miner" stigma associated with Welsh immigrants of the time/place.

For some reason, that side of my family harbored quite a resentment toward Catholics, especially the Irish... I never dug in to find out why... I just always knew it was important to them, but I learned to not be closed minded in that regard.
My grandmothers families likely originated London and followed the work to wales, my grandfather was a north walian ie proper welsh but he was a bit of an unreliable husband disappearing for years one time he came home and asked a little boy who he was and it was my uncle, she kicked him out,the sad thing is decades later my dad tracked him down months after he died as for his family connections she apparently dumped everything in a huff, so their is no knowledge there, my cousin does family trees and seems to have chased a lot of the family back to the 1600s we had a watchmaker in Bristol, which would have meant money, but as far as I can see most of the family for several generations were labourers, my mum was afforded a place in university but the family said they could not afford it but she encouraged my dad to follow education and he had a lot of professional qualifications as does my husband I chose an art degree it was fun but does not leave you in a good position for great earnings,luckily husbands interest followed computers hardware and software and he has followed the money as they say, we never risked running our own business but we own our home 20 acres and have savings ad I things go sideways we should be ok especially as we have followed preppers add for buggin in, I.e. self sufficiency, hence the solar,woodburners,ev tesla3 polytunnel animal husbandry (‘but frankly you need spare cash for that) as long as the world does not go to hell in a basket our home and pensions should see us comfortable. We can do off grid if push comes to shove. Plus so far cross fingers decent health despite my broken ankle and dislocated knee issues. I have sone great pictures but not on this thread :0

Mine has to be the Menards Morton Salt Company in Ho Scale. I currently have a 4x8 so not to big...
Size is controlled by our finances our space our time but our interest is universal all have their pros and cons, if you have a picture would love to see it, often our favourite is not our best it is the one that has recently given us the most satisfaction so it is what makes us happy about our layout, at one time my favourite was a home made outdooor toilet lol, it would never win any prizes but it gave me great enjoyment making it
lol an excuse to squeeze in a 2nd entry, I never even got around to the gutter ing and drainpipe
BF54A674-FA5D-4DC3-B67F-AADF8ED13B06.jpeg
D8DBA894-D4A5-4520-B154-C8AC3FF552C4.jpeg

Could you post a photo ? Thanks.
The junk yard is a bit thin these days. I'm in the middle of a roundhouse build and have pulled any equipment; lathes, mills, etc out.
There were the remains of a couple of packs of Keystone "Engine House Junk" that were pulled out as well.
Recently, I needed a pallet jack for a loading dock. Sold in a 4 pack. Over the years I've found that once I clear a work space, clean, prime, paint and glue detail parts it's faster/easier to do them all at once. The three extra completed pallet jacks pose a new problem - how to store them. The handles are rather fine. They're in there awaiting a new home in the future.
Once the roundhouse is done I'll return any unused "junk" back to the junk yard.
I still maintain small drawers for "bulk" details like pallets, tires, barrels - that sort of stuff.

One point that might be of interest. The "rusty ground" in the foreground is actual rust. I had a piece of farm equipment that was badly rusted. I pulled off (half dollar size) sheets of rust, crushed it up and spread it in the foreground.

1671483458877.png

The junk yard is a bit thin these days. I'm in the middle of a roundhouse build and have pulled any equipment; lathes, mills, etc out.
There were the remains of a couple of packs of Keystone "Engine House Junk" that were pulled out as well.
Recently, I needed a pallet jack for a loading dock. Sold in a 4 pack. Over the years I've found that once I clear a work space, clean, prime, paint and glue detail parts it's faster/easier to do them all at once. The three extra completed pallet jacks pose a new problem - how to store them. The handles are rather fine. They're in there awaiting a new home in the future.
Once the roundhouse is done I'll return any unused "junk" back to the junk yard.
I still maintain small drawers for "bulk" details like pallets, tires, barrels - that sort of stuff.

One point that might be of interest. The "rusty ground" in the foreground is actual rust. I had a piece of farm equipment that was badly rusted. I pulled off (half dollar size) sheets of rust, crushed it up and spread it in the foreground.

View attachment 158066
Love the colours and textures,like the rust idea.

View attachment 158066
Nice looking junk yard

Back