What is this?

Bruette

All I know is it's O gauge and MTH made it.

I think it's a caboose and it came from a RTR set.

Did the B&O have anything like this?

1588684348720.png

Louis: I have seen this type of car before, I am pretty sure the B&O never had one...but I could be wrong.

Somewhere in memory, I believe this was built as a caboose - express car for a short line train. probably, converted from an old box cars.
Kind of neat, but probably not accurate.

Louis: I have seen this type of car before, I am pretty sure the B&O never had one...but I could be wrong.

Somewhere in memory, I believe this was built as a caboose - express car for a short line train. probably, converted from an old box cars.
Kind of neat, but probably not accurate.
Thanks Boris, great information as always!

I found a site http://www.hebners.net/Caboose/bowm.html that lists all of the B&O's cabooses (that's how the B&O museum says it, good enough for me) http://www.borail.org/Cabooses.aspx and after a quick search I could not find one like it. Once again, you are correct sir!

"Kind of neat, but probably not accurate." perfect for me, I just bought one and other some other neat stuff from Graham's Trains.

Boxcar cabooses were definitely a real thing.
I don’t recall seeing any bay window ones, but could be some railroad made them. Here’s a more typical version:

Louis, I think that was generically referred to as a "drover's caboose"--at least in Lionel-land.
I have not heard of that name, but Lionel-Land is vast and almost as diverse as the US itself.

Reminds me of Laramie, the old TV show, where does the name come from?

Google images shows several Drover's Caboose', but none with a bay window.

But I did find this recently sold item on ebay.com.au of a Tyco, reputedly Queensland Rail (QR) whatever with an American caboose in tow.

1588766252756.png

Looks like an Alco that Tyco thought would sell well. Don't think QR ever had anything like this

Louis, I think that was generically referred to as a "drover's caboose"--at least in Lionel-land.

I wouldn’t classify this as a drovers caboose, though you could easily make it one. But it doesn’t have windows in the section that would be used to accommodate the drovers. (Cowboys that cared for the cattle during the trip to market)

A "drover" in railroad parlance is a person who accompanies cattle while being moved to market and helps take car of feeding, watering and resting them on the trip.
That is not a "drover's caboose". Drover's cabooses had windows and seats inside. The model caboose doesn't. It is more like a caboose modified to carry LCL or for use on a maintenance or wrecker train.

Whatever that caboose is it will go well with my B&O crane or what ever I put it with, I like it.

Prototypical, I got your prototypical right here, :)

I still think Boris nailed it. "Kind of neat, but probably not accurate." works perfectly for my railroad!

Back