What is the major difference between EMD F3A and F7A from outside?

matl1212

What is the major difference between EMD F3A and F7A from outside?
They look pretty much the same, aren't they?

The upper grille that runs front to back on the sides is different - the F7 is like a single "mesh" piece where the F3 is broken up with framework inbetween (like the FT).

F3:
CBQ_F3_120.jpg

F7:
DRGW_F7_5634.jpg

There are other smaller differences but that is the most obvious. I think there are differences in the fans on top too.

Mark

Unfortunately, it's not really that simple to differentiate between F unit models. An early F3 could look a lot like a late F2, and a late F3 could look very similar to an early F7, a late F7 might look an awful lot like an early F9.

Generally if it has taller fans, chicken wire grills, three port holes and no louvers on each side, it's a Phase I F3 (or an F2). If it has tall fans, chicken wire grills, two port holes and recessed areas insted of louvers on each side, it's a Phase IIa F3. If it has short fans, and otherwise is the same, it's a Phase IIb F3. If it has short fans, chicken wire grills, two portholes and 4 sets of horizontal louvers per side, it's a Phase III F3. If it has stainless steel grills, but otherwise looks the same, it's a Phase IV F3. Or a Phase 1a F7 (though the side door window gasket would be different).

You should note that phases aren't actual EMD model designations, they're just categories that modelers and railfans use to group similar types of units. Differences in prototypes often aren't intentional, but instead reflect parts or material availability, or supplier changes.

Also, a lot of F3's were upgraded to F7's to extend their usefulness, so a locomotive that was an F3 originally could be designated as an F7 (though it might not look anything like one) by a certain date.

I got all this information from a set of Highliners F3/7/9 kit instructions. If you want to build an accurate model of a specific unit, Highliners is the only way to go.

- Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris has it right. Although there are general spotting features for a "virgin" F-3 or F-7, you almost need the railroad and engine number to tell what it really is or what it may have been. The Santa Fe was an excellent example. They had 92 F-3's that had all the typical spotting features incuding the chicken wire grills, tall fans, and no louvers. They were rebuilt with refurbished or new 567 engines and the newer D27 traction motors. The chicken wire was removed, louvers added between the portholes, and Farr-Air stainless steel grills along the top. The tall fans were replaced with the short (and more efficent) F-7 fans. When they were completed, they were indistinguishable from the thundering herd of 450 F-7's purchased by the Santa Fe. I think the F unit series of locomotives was subject to more unofficial phases than any locomotive ever produced.

Back