what have you built from scratch?

HO train man

Live to train around
I was wondering what you have built from scratch for your HO layout and what you have built it out of. If you have pics, plz post. here are mine. will get pics up soon, or try to.

* platform for passengers
*1 stall engine house. (can fit 2. May use for cabooses or train cars.)
*cattle loading platform
*mountain with construction area. (in the process of building as I type.)
*loading dock
*coal loading

can be other scales as well
________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're willing to make this thread cover other scales, I can play. :D

I built this G-scale outhouse using scraps from a trellis. The cabin isn't really scratchbuilt, but started as a birdhouse from a Michael's craft store.

I built an SD90MAC-H II, an SD50AF, an SD40-2F, an F59PHi and some CP Expressway cars from scratch. I've kit bashed numerous other projects.

I'll try and find time to get some pics together. (some of these models are shown in other threads)

Oh, and I have two other SD40-2F's that I have yet to finnish.

A few things I currently have in my Photobucket account:

Garage.png

Feedmill1.jpg

CNDoubelplow.png

The SD40-2B is bashed, but the structure is scratchbuilt from drawings I made in 1994 (sorry about the bad photo, but the building doesn't exist anymore):

original.jpg

original.jpg

Unfortunately, about the only thing you can tell about the structure in those photos is from the shadow. The safety cage on the elevator was scratchbuilt entirely out of 3" x 5" index cards and wire from N scale motor windings.

This billboard is scratchbuilt from drawings I made about a year ago:

large.jpg

Detail of end cage, built from styrene strip, stretched sprue and a Tichy safety cage kit:

large.gif

Now, if you want to include kitbashed stuff, you're going to need a bigger forum! ;)

I think the only thing I've hand, piece by piece built was a small 10'x8' (in HO scale) yard office. It has since been broken & damaged beyond repair.

I've bashed 50% of the Locomotives I own, with more to come.

I HOPE to very soon release some scratch built, then resin cast detail, and kit basher supplies. Since I need plenty of 4 window cabbed Dash 9's thats high on the list (the windows), and then some MP25GP parts, GP39 (rebuilt GP30) parts, Flares for SD70M & MAC's, Phase II nose for SD70M's, a dump truck, and more, we'll see what all I make as I start making the originals.

I guess we all fall as basher's!

I scratch built a traveling overhead crane (known to steel industry fanatics as an "ore bridge") entirely out of brass. I also was dissatisfied with the blast furnace that came with the Walthers kit, so I scratchbuilt everything except for the casthouse - made everythig 150% of their original dimensions.

Also converted a RailPowerProducts GP35 shell into a road slug.

Oh yeah, almost forgot: I scratched a propane gas distributor because Walthers' Central Gas Supply kit was long-discontinued. Kitbashed a couple Athearn Ford C-series trucks into propane delivery tankers.

I built this trestle from scratch (not to mention the terrain on which it and the trains are resting). I used 3/16" cedar stripwood, Weld Bond white glue, and then real creosote oil for staining and the smell. Measured, cut, shaped, glued ,and then weathered the guard rails using Code 100 rail stock. (Tracks are not proper bridge and trestle tracks with the closer ties).

I built this trestle from scratch (not to mention the terrain on which it and the trains are resting). I used 3/16" cedar stripwood, Weld Bond white glue, and then real creosote oil for staining and the smell. Measured, cut, shaped, glued ,and then weathered the guard rails using Code 100 rail stock. (Tracks are not proper bridge and trestle tracks with the closer ties).

Creosote for smell?

You can have it. I've treated enough lumber that I hope I never smell it again. I'll just color match with acrylics.

I don't know if this counts, but it's the only thing I've ever built that wasn't a kit etc.

I made this wall out of EZ Blocs that I got from our Stripes' ModelRailstructureshttp://www.modelrailstructures.com/.

View attachment 5429 View attachment 5430

I made the wall in a single evening. Hope this counts as scratch building. :)

Peace.

Coyote

p.s. I am a goober wrote the post and submitted it but didnt add the pics... took care of that... sory for any confusion.

scratchbuilt

Like Mrs Claudia, it is in another scale: N 1: 160.
The small buildings on the first picture are going to be the storage for woodsuply and a house for its owner.
The second one is , as you can see, a medieval casle. It doesn't exist in real, just fiction, but it has an east-German influence...
They are all made from thin cardboard, paper, and printed paper(photocopyed the brickwalls)small pieces of Balsa wood( chimney)or the pieces of wood they use to launch small rocketsduring the old/newyear period
Only the roof of the small house is a ready product: Kibri
Jos

Excellent stuff Everyone.!!
The small buildings on the first picture are going to be the storage for woodsuply and a house for its owner.
The second one is , as you can see, a medieval casle. It doesn't exist in real, just fiction, but it has an east-German influence...
They are all made from thin cardboard, paper, and printed paper(photocopyed the brickwalls)small pieces of Balsa wood( chimney)or the pieces of wood they use to launch small rocketsduring the old/newyear period
Jos

Nice work. Jos I can almost see the people at the house moving around the yard, VERY convincing. And the castle is beautiful. If a castle can be that.

Johnny

Johnny Thank you sir.
Yes, I think a castle can...
BTW I found another picture in my archifs: small steamenginehouse plus syply equipments( water and coal..)
All made with cardboard white glue and ordinary paint(goache) and one small tinythread from the flowershop...
Again scale N
Jos

I don't know if this counts, but it's the only thing I've ever built that wasn't a kit etc.

I made this wall out of EZ Blocs that I got from our Stripes' ModelRailstructureshttp://www.modelrailstructures.com/.

View attachment 5429 View attachment 5430

I made the wall in a single evening. Hope this counts as scratch building. :)

Peace.

Coyote

p.s. I am a goober wrote the post and submitted it but didnt add the pics... took care of that... sory for any confusion.
Huh, that reminds me, I have a culvert to build and some blocks to order

Not decided what to build with my bag 'O' blocks yet

i did these buildings a few years ago,
This one was built to fill a wedge shape gap on the old layout, to make it fit again i had to cut it along the middle,,, what a job that was, it's made from a frame of 1/4" plywood covered in styrene scrap from a bin at work, the silo is made from PCV waste pipe and nylon tubing. it sit's next to a Rix modern warehouse building that has been cut and chopped about a lot. I added some extractor fan's from a Walthers kit
P1160108.jpg

This is the first job i ever scratch built from the same scrap styrene and also some SLR camera bit's and pieces and welding wire, everything on it was scrap of some sort except the roof sheet's and door's. it's weathered with cement dust. Oh and the small building built onto the right of it is another left over from a Rix kit
P1160110.jpg

P1160111.jpg

P1160109.jpg

Jos

Holy smoke, Jos, that is some fine modelling there! My compliments to you!

Good use of colour and shading, good placement of materials and structures...you seem to be able to do it all.

:)

-Crandell

Inspiring thread!

The only thing that I have ever attempted to scratch build was a small dock on my previous layout. It was way oversized but I liked it. I might even find a spot for it somewhere on my new layout.
After looking at some of the photos in this thread, I'll probably stick with kits.:D

Dave

IM000032.jpg

Back