what glue to use

BIG DOG

I just got one of my 1st industries in the mail today (IHC saw mill) what type of glue should I use to construct the building (it doesn't recomend any it just says to becareful not to use to much as it may it the detailing away)

THANKS

Go to wal-mart in the model section and buy the triangled (actually square-like on its side) bottle that is black with a long pointed tip. This stuff is great. and I like the stuff they have in the green tubes (comes with a needle cap applicator) this stuff works great on plastic,wood and metal. Even just their plain model glue in the red tubes will be fine...clean the area because when they make kits they spray the molds with release spray...this sometimes makes glue not stick well.

I use testors liquid for plastic 2.99 a bottel use a 00 paint brush NOT THE ONE ON THE CAP PULL IT OFF AND THROW AWAY!!!!

For small/tiny parts and areas you have to apply before putting together (such as tanks, smoke stacks), I like the Testors that is in the black bottle thingy that Bob described, although it's a "B" to get it flowing initially.

For larger parts such as building sides, roofs, anything you can get to, I prefer Plastruc's PlasticWeld. The Testor's liquid is very good as well. Both of these are very fast drying which means you have to be fast, but if you hold the part in place, apply the glue down the inside edge of the mating parts with a brush, capillary action will take it on into the seam. The parts are secured in seconds. A plus with this type is if you make a mistake, all you have to do is apply the glue again and it will allow you to re-align or remove the part.

thanks boy this forum is a blessing!!

Bob what kind of drum kit do you play? I have a Pearl Exr (prizim purple) 6 pc with a eliminator double pedal 5 zildjian (a's and zht's)

Hey, I suggest you try out the Testors Plastic parts cement PEN. I've usd it before, it works great.
http://testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1464

Myself, I have CA (super glue basicaly), one tube of the blue testors, and one of the orange/red, and one green (wood & metal), and a tube of Walthers Goo, all have their use & place. I have to buy a new glue pen for plastic structures.

thanks boy this forum is a blessing!!

Bob what kind of drum kit do you play? I have a Pearl Exr (prizim purple) 6 pc with a eliminator double pedal 5 zildjian (a's and zht's)

Mine is a Pearl Export too, 9 pc. w/ Pearl P122TW double pedal incase we play small areas and I have to down size ( plus I only have to mic one kick/saves a channel). I use Evans Hydraulic oil filled heads (blue) on all the toms. ( I love these they last forever) and Evens coated batter head on the snare. My cymbals are a custom made set of Saludas (The ride cymbal is even a custom "raw bell" one that I recieved to try before it was released to the public), I used to use Zildjians too, but after getting the endorsement I had to commit to Saluda. They are made in South Carolina. I got hooked on them after we opened for Warrant.
(I don't want to change this thread to a rockpage thread so back to trains and glue...LOL :eek: )

Josh good point! I too like the Goo, it bonds everything and stays ply-able a couple days allowing a little trimming for clean up. Works well on the resin kits and metals. you have a longer wait time for drying which allows for corrections, simply apply to each piece or to one side, touch together and pull apart to let air activate it. and it grips! ADD THIS TO YOUR HOBBY KIT!! Along with some super glue for quick grips

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys I use super glue gel for certain areas . It stays on a little nicer and doesn't drip !!!!

Yeah Paul, and the Gel makes a good filler for small cracks: easy to sand/file and accepts paint well. I have even used it to fill rail gaps. Apply, Dry, and file.

Hi guys I use super glue gel for certain areas . It stays on a little nicer and doesn't drip !!!!

Yeah agreed!!...and gives you a change to get your fingers apart before you end up like a frog (webbed fingers) or a structure glued to ya! :eek:

That black angle bottle thing is great and has a tip cleaner. I get my superglue from Lowes if you are near one. They have many kinds and the pricing I thought was low compared to other places. I have also started using that new Gorrila glue it is good.

That black angle bottle thing is great and has a tip cleaner. I get my superglue from Lowes if you are near one. They have many kinds and the pricing I thought was low compared to other places. I have also started using that new Gorrila glue it is good.

The black bottle is hard to get started sometimes said earlier...I think there is a internal ball bearing or a flap of some sort to keep it from drying out...I poked thru what ever it was and if you do watch because it will then come out too quickly...I also like Testors Super Glue and I think its call Zapp (?) These are great to keep around. Gorilla glue is the strongest thing out there BUT it expands when it drys pushing apart what ever your gluing if you didn't clamp it together....but man is this stuff strong and hard...I glued the soles on an old pair of moccasins and they'll never come off again!!! :D I also tried it on my step daughters ceramic doll and it pushed its shoulder apart so much she kinda hunched backed now! :eek:

Back