• Pre year 1900.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 1901 to 1930.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • 1931 to the beginning of diesels.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • The Transition.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Steam is dead to the beginning of Second Generation Diesels.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Second Generation Diesels, to Third Generation Diesels.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Third generation Diesels (The Modern Era).

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I don't Model no STINKIN' Eras, I do what I want!!

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At this point, 9:00 PM on Thursday the 6th of february, only 3 people have stated that they model the modern era! This would seem to be bad news for the manufacturers who seem to think that is what the majority of Model Railroaders want!

Or this poll is not representative of all model railroaders...

Ah, yes, the validity of this Poll! I knew this would be brought up at some point. Marlibu43 is saying; because of the small number of respondents, 38 total, this Poll is meaningless. However, just as likely the fact is, this Poll may reflect real life, exactly! It's the readers choice to interpret however they like!

My thoughts are the cross section of model railroaders represented in this Poll are not a special group. They are people involved in the hobby who's opinions and thoughts are as valid as any. Therefore I think even though the Poll is a small percentage of the whole of model railroaders, it is very likely that the Poll reflects what is really going on!

I need to ask why you feel that the Poll is not representative of Model Railroaders?

Therefore I think even though the Poll is a small percentage of the whole of model railroaders, it is very likely that the Poll reflects what is really going on!

I need to ask why you feel that the Poll is not representative of Model Railroaders?

As you stated yourself, the manufacturers continue to produce modern equipment, and I doubt they would be doing that if people weren't buying it. So I'll put my money on the manufacturers knowing what the consumers want, vs a poll with 38 responses on one of many discussion forums related to the hobby.

At this point, 9:00 PM on Thursday the 6th of february, only 3 people have stated that they model the modern era! This would seem to be bad news for the manufacturers who seem to think that is what the majority of Model Railroaders want!

Modern models sell extremely well! That's why manufactures produce them. There are a lot of us present day modelers, just not on this forum! Thats why we get a very steady diet of them from ScaleTrains.

Ah, yes, the validity of this Poll! I knew this would be brought up at some point. Marlibu43 is saying; because of the small number of respondents, 38 total, this Poll is meaningless. However, just as likely the fact is, this Poll may reflect real life, exactly! It's the readers choice to interpret however they like!

My thoughts are the cross section of model railroaders represented in this Poll are not a special group. They are people involved in the hobby who's opinions and thoughts are as valid as any. Therefore I think even though the Poll is a small percentage of the whole of model railroaders, it is very likely that the Poll reflects what is really going on!

Well, the current issue of Cowcatcher Magazine has a poll very similar to this and the results are very similar. I had a copy in my hand and was going to share their results as a comparison, but through the day someone else absconded with it.

What era do I model? Um... Thursday. ;)

Running a fantasy railroad gives me the option to run whatever I want. I have a 4-6-4 Hudson and a U-25C as regular runners. Both, as far as I know, are no longer running the rail in real life, but in my little world, The Hudson pulls the excursion train and the U-Boat is my heavy hauler.

As you stated yourself, the manufacturers continue to produce modern equipment, and I doubt they would be doing that if people weren't buying it. So I'll put my money on the manufacturers knowing what the consumers want, vs a poll with 38 responses on one of many discussion forums related to the hobby.

O.K., the Poll is meaningless, if true, I can live with that, too! However, I wonder why Modern Model Railroaders wouldn't be partaking in this forum?

I also don't know that I believe that manufacturers truly understand what the public what's or needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not knowing what the public wants is what has spurred manufacturers to use pre-order marketing.
If they don’t get enough interest in a model they just don’t make it.
But unfortunately it has also led to people losing money to a few unscrupulous businesses as well.

Rico, I have never done a Pre-Order of a model railroad Item; or, any other type of item for that matter. So, I don't know how that works. To Pre-Order does the manufacturer expect money down?

It's less a matter of knowing what the market wants than gauging interest. The upper tiers of models are going very prototype specific. Pre-ordering is a way of gauging interest in a particular prototype. The brass manufacturers have been doing this for decades. If you do a run of models and even 10-15% of it sits on the shelves, there goes your profit. I've never put money down on a pre-order, though some brass manufacturers require it once they get enough pre-orders to proceed with the project. Some brass runs have been as few as 25 models which can mean a $2K and above unit cost. That's way out of my league, but people are buying at that level. Collectors mostly. The stuff sits in a display case and never turns a wheel. Ahyhoo...to pre-order you can do it through the manufacturer's website, as with Scale Trains or Rapido, or you can do it through your LHS. I usually support my LHS.

Modern stuff sells. There are plenty of twenty-somethings and thirty-somethings in my club, and they are running 1980's and up equipment. The steam guys are passing away steadily and people tend to model what they remember.

Rico, I have never done a Pre-Order of a model railroad Item; or, any other type of item for that matter. So, I don't know how that works. To Pre-Order does the manufacturer expect money down?
I can only speak for ScaleTrains, they do not require any down payment with a pre-order. However they do require a credit card number secured through PayPal or someone else. Once the product hits their warehouse in Tennessee, they will notify you and actually bill you when it ships.

MARK - IMO . . . I find the poll relevant and interesting. It shows what the members of this forum model and
that's what's important to me, rather than a poll or opinions on facebook or other sites. I don't do
social media and don't really care what their views are. I hangout here, so it's the opinions of members on
this of forum that are of interest and relevance to me.
To say the least, this poll/thread must be interesting for many, as it has attracted 55 + replies . . .
not too shabby :cool:

A little off the pole subject but related to the Scale Trains subject.

I wonder how much the Chinese virus will affect the production and shipment of hobby items imported from China. Especially delays in products due to many manufacturing facilities being closed due to the virus.

Interesting results from the pole.

Greg

Greg, I think the viruse's affect on production will be significant. Since all I want is kits, I don't think it will affect me to much.

As far as the relevance of this poll is concerned, I should think it would be of interest to all manufacturers, even though it is a small proportion of Model Railroaders who have replied to this poll. As a former manufacturer of stamped metal and plastic component parts, I would have given my eye teeth to know what the directions my customers were leaning. It would be good for me to know the fact that concentrating on specific eras; or, areas would be very limiting in my in potential sales.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back