• Pre year 1900.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 1901 to 1930.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • 1931 to the beginning of diesels.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • The Transition.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Steam is dead to the beginning of Second Generation Diesels.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Second Generation Diesels, to Third Generation Diesels.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Third generation Diesels (The Modern Era).

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I don't Model no STINKIN' Eras, I do what I want!!

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I model the B&O of 1969 thru 1972. One of the gloomiest periods in railroad history, which I suppose explains why hardly anybody models it. But that was the time in my life when railroads were most exciting to me. There were still plenty of F-units and GP7/9 locos on the property, and a variety of new second-generation EMD power. Plus, I had friends working for the B&O, who could give me access to many awesome train-watching spots not normally seen from public roads.

The poll results make it obvious why the model manufacturers hardly produce any 1:87 vehicles for my era...

I model the Transition era, post-WWII up to about 1960, from when I was a little kid to when I graduated from high school. In particular, I model the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, and the Zephyrs I rode going to see my grandparents from Chicago to downstate-Illinois. I do throw in a mix of diesel and steam, though my personal experience was primarily with the former. I also have a few pieces of C&NW commuter trains, as I rode those, as well as the 400's. All that ended about 1960 when I graduated from high school.

Also, I'm finding that people are confused about when the diesel eras started and ended. To give definition to the eras, I am going to assign dates to them, even though they likely may be incorrect! Here they are:

Transition Era: From the 1930s to the 1960s. The 30s was when Diesel locomotives started showing up.
Second generation: From the 1960s to the 1980s.
Third generation: From the 1980s to the present day.

If you have hard data on when the eras started and ended and it disagrees with what I have stated, I will make changes to the above lists!
I would say those are pretty close. And there is always overlap.

I think officially the 2nd generation began with the GE U25B and EMDs response the GP30. One could argue (me included here) that the turbo charged SD24 (16 months before the GP30) was the first 2nd generation EMD. One could also argue the other direction with EMD locomotives that the second generation started with the 645 prime mover. That would make the GP38 and SD38 the first 2nd generation.... It would then logically follow that the locos with the 710 prime movers were the 3rd generation GP58 & GP60, SD60. In GE land that would be the dash-8 series.

One could also argue that we are in the 4th generation diesels starting with the GEVOs and EMD SD70ACs. ... On a total soap box side note, to me, it is sad to think that Tesla designed this type of AC powered variable frequency controlled electric locomotive in the 1920s and everyone ignored it. I am glad he is finally getting some attention these days. Maybe then next generation will know about Tesla, and Thomas Edison will be painted in the history books as the nefarious character he really was. My words, Edison is the Jar Jar Binks of American inventors.

Last edited:
I knew someone would come up with better dates to separate the eras. I sort-a figured Mr. Horseman would be the guy, too. However, like you said: "I would say those are pretty close. And there is always overlap". So, I'm going to leave everything as it is as far as the divisions are concerned.

Interestingly, after close to 48 hours, the transition and Second Generation Diesels are tied at 7 votes each.

I've found these two polls to be interesting!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread seems to be sinking down on the list of current topics! It may be that no further discussion will take place. If you have an opinion and would like to share it, please do so! Thanks to all who have participated!

I guess what really surprises me about the poll is, that there are only 2 of us modern modelers. I figured transition, and second generation would probably be the most popular, but only 2 kind of surprises me. Anyway, great, and interesting topic Mark.

transition era- 1957 with a few nice 1958 cars because I like them.
Different places had a vast collection of various equipment in operation, even within one district.
I chiefly model the Southern Railway in central Alabama in HO as I remember it. Sometimes my memory is not 100% accurate.

I'm somewhat surprised that there aren't more just steam modelers! Counting the first three Eras shows there only being 6 voters who are steam, only. When I started my layout I was more interested in a 1930s era layout and only steam! I dropped this idea, when I realized that I had a soft spot for early diesels and in particular EMD's F units. My interest in steam, stemmed from my interest in John Allen's Gorre and Daphetid, which I saw in Model Railroader and other Model Railroading magazines! The truth is, I can barely remember working steam on the railroads when I was a child. However, also when when, I was a child what was available as either toy; or, model train sets was far and away mostly steam locomotives. Back then, steam was so firmly ingrained in our minds that Choo Choos where only steam!

I'm somewhat surprised that there aren't more just steam modelers! . . . The truth is, I can barely remember working steam on the railroads when I was a child.
Me neither. As a very small child I saw live D&RGW narrow gauge steam in southern Colorado a few times (Durango - obviously - but also the Antonito Branch). I saw C&S 641 working in Leadville. And I think one mainline steamer on a vacation to the black hills so that could have been UP, CNW, or CB&Q. Last steam on the Santa Fe was years before I was born.

I'm not surprised there aren't more. People like to model what they have had first hand experience with. AND what I found even back in the AHM days modeling steam is so much more expensive than diesel. I could have five AHM diesels for the price of one of their steamers. The diesels also ran more smoothly.

Not only is the cost of the initial purchase more but also the maintenance is more intense. The museum has only three standing steam locomotives. In 10 years of being open we have replaced/overhauled all of them several times. Contrasting we have about 150 diesels and have only had to replace/overhaul maybe 20% of them one time. Even then, most of the issues have been electronics not the mechanical.

Most of what you say, Iron Horseman, I can't disagree with. It is easily understood that Steam does take more maintenance similar to the real steam loco. It's also understandable that steam cost more. Simply put, the vote numbers are what they are. I love steam and would not be in this hobby if not for my love of steam!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love steam and would not be in this hobby if not for my love of steam!
Total agreement there... well almost ... I would still be in the hobby for the love of trains in general, but I too love the steam. Certainly has an attraction factor. Steamers seem to have their own personalities and give one a feeling they are alive. Living here in Denver with the 844, 3985, and now 4014 so close, it just re-enforces that.

Modeling wise, when I first started paying attention to my over all roster in 1985 or so, I thought it was lacking in steam so I went on a buying spree. At that time there weren't that many offerings. There was the OLD Mantua line, the new Overland Powerhouse, the OLD Bowser and Roundhouse kits, AHM had already left but some came back as Pemco, and IHC. I ended up with 2 of the powerhouse and with several of the kits, but also went to the brass market. I reworked several used (swap meet) AHM with NWSL gears and motors and added sound. Just about the time I was finishing the second Roundhouse kit (had not even started a Bowser at that time) the Lifelike company came out with the Proto Heritage steamers. It was like a dream come true. The first product I ever pre-ordered was the NP 0-8-0. One of each road number. Later came the Athearn Genesis 2-8-2 and 4-6-2. Right in the middle of this the DCC sound came out, making the sound so much easier than it had been before. Then the Bachmann Spectrum with their Pennsy K4, and magnificent 2-8-0. And then Broadway Limited with sound included! I sold off all the brass and replaced them almost 5 to 1 with these new comers. I now have a pretty respectable steam roster. Probably missing the smaller things, like no working 0-4-0. I do not think I have a 2-6-0, even though I've been wanting one since Bachmann came out with the Alco version. It has never reached the top of my "buy" list. Other things keep trumping it.

Very hard to complain about the market today compared to what it used to be. I even have an NP Z6 that I thought would never be produced in plastic. Chooo Choooooooo.....

At this point, 9:00 PM on Thursday the 6th of february, only 3 people have stated that they model the modern era! This would seem to be bad news for the manufacturers who seem to think that is what the majority of Model Railroaders want!

At this point, 9:00 PM on Thursday the 6th of february, only 3 people have stated that they model the modern era! This would seem to be bad news for the manufacturers who seem to think that is what the majority of Model Railroaders want!

That makes me wonder what their incentive is. Maybe they think it will attract the younger generation and don't care about us older fellas, who kept them in business for decades.

Back