• Pre year 1900.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 1901 to 1930.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • 1931 to the beginning of diesels.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • The Transition.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Steam is dead to the beginning of Second Generation Diesels.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Second Generation Diesels, to Third Generation Diesels.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Third generation Diesels (The Modern Era).

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I don't Model no STINKIN' Eras, I do what I want!!

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
N

NP2626

Here is a simple, Non-Scientific Survey to attempt to find out what Railroading Era is most popular. Not attempting to pit one era against another; or, cause tempers to flair, simply interested in seeing what result might show-up here on the Model Railroading Forum.

The Model Railroading Press seems to think that the Transition Era is the most popular era to model! However, if I look at what the Model Railroading Manufacturers seem to be concentrating on, I get the feeling the modern day is what is the most popular.

As I've stated many times before that I model the Northern Pacific in the Transition Era, I like both Steam and First Generation Diesels! What do you like?

I'm finding that people are confused about when the diesel eras started and ended. To give definition to the eras, I am going to assign dates to them, even though they likely may be incorrect! here they are:

Transition Era: From the 1930s to the 1960s. The 30s was when Diesel locomotives started to showing up.
Second generation: From the 1960s to the 1980s.
Third generation: From the 1980s to the present day.

If you have hard data on when the eras started and ended and it disagrees with what I have stated, I will make changes to the above lists!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not tied to any specific era or time period but attempt to run most of my rolling stock and locomotives in the 1970-1995 time period. I try to keep all my locomotives to those that once belonged to railroads that ran in Wisconsin. I even have a Northern Pacific loco only because the NP did have some trackage in northwest Wisconsin.

Having close to 100 locomotives, I'm addicted to diesels (have two steamers) and I'm a sucker for certain locomotive or road color themes so a BNSF in the orange and green color theme is at home on the layout, but there's also a locomotive from the MR&T line along with a MNS locomotive being a SOO branch line.

When running trains the main objective is to have a smooth running operation. Visitors don't care if a GP38-2 or a GP7 is pulling a train of box cars with roof walks or modern gondolas...they just want to see trains.

Greg

Last edited:
When running trains the main objective is to have a smooth running operation. Visitors don't care if a GP38-2 or a GP7 is pulling a train of box cars with roof walks or modern gondolas...they just want to see trains.

Greg

You're certainly different than I am; Greg, I don't care one way or the other what visitors may; or, may not care about! I'm in this hobby, simply to please myself. I know, I know, I am a selfish _____!!!

i model logging / mining in the 1890s ... steam has more detail than diesel, although in most cases more money ...
and absolutely no electrical at all, no electrically thrown switches, no turnout lights, no building lights, nada

When I started, mid 1990s was current but now it's a quarter century past. What Era is that? 2nd or 3rd? I'd vote but don't know how era relates to years.

Let's try the Modern Era; or, maybe 2nd to 3rd. I'm not really to sure about when Diesels transitioned from one era to the next.

I voted, but I was torn between 1931 to 1950 and I don't model no stinkin era. I model the peak years of traction into a very loosely interpreted future.

I have made this poll so that it closes on February 27th, that is one month after it started. 24 hours after the poll was started it appears that the Transition era is ahead by one vote!

Also, I'm finding that people are confused about when the diesel eras started and ended. To give definition to the eras, I am going to assign dates to them, even though they likely may be incorrect! Here they are:

Transition Era: From the 1930s to the 1960s. The 30s was when Diesel locomotives started showing up.
Second generation: From the 1960s to the 1980s.
Third generation: From the 1980s to the present day.

If you have hard data on when the eras started and ended and it disagrees with what I have stated, I will make changes to the above lists!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back