What do you think of my RR?

My freelance RR, the Alberta Pacific railway, was made up 2 years ago. It all came together very quickly, and I was wondering what you thought of it.
SmallAPRShield.png

It was formed in the 1890s as a prairie granger for central Manitoba, Saskatchewn, and Alberta. It's eastern terminus is at Thunder Bay, Ontario, though they are looking at an extension, and the western terminus since 1909 is Prince Rupert. The route (Should be) is shown here in dark blue. CN is olive, BC Rail is light blue, and CP is red.
APRBC.png

APRcanada.png

In the earky days, it used 2-6-0s and other early locos, and by the 40s it had low drivered 4-6-6-4s, the biggest Canadian steam. By the 50s, it was exclusively F-M, with H16-44s and H24-66s on the freights, and CPA16-4s and CPA24-5s on the passenger. They also had
In the late 60s, they amassed a large fleet of SD45s, and by the 70s, the were mostly run with SD40 and SD45 variants.
In the 80s, the got 12 SD50MACs, some of the forst AC locomotive, and later on, they remotered many C-Liners with early EMD 710 engines so they could continue pulling passenger.
They now operate with mostly SD45s (with variants like the SD45T-2), and SD70s (Both M and MAC) They have no GE locos, and operate many excursions with non remotered c-liners, and steam.
Their coaches were painted in a Royal Blue and also the diesels, until 1958, when this paint scheme was developed.
GP40_and_H16-44.png

What do you think?
Matthew

Pretty paint scheme, looks like a fairly well thought out history, although I have to wonder at a railroad that uses "mostly SD45s" - that makes them pretty unique north of the border, doesn't it?

Pretty paint scheme - do you have any models painted up in it yet? That curve on the front looks like it could be tricky.

What do you think?
I think what amazes me most is the way you (and others) research the history, match the equipment of the time, and produce such a realistic scenario. You're an inspiration to me, whose narrow gauge railroad is known only as "the F&CGR, early 1900s or so, runs through the town of Arbor Vista, consists of one 0-4-0 loco and is owned by a town resident who always wanted a train of her own." As you see, I have a long way to go to be considered a "serious" modeler. :)

Sounds like a lengthened WCL history, Nice concept! Hope to see some real engines soon!

although I have to wonder at a railroad that uses "mostly SD45s" - that makes them pretty unique north of the border
Hi Jeff, nope, the CB&CNSR runs 4 SD45-2's on the mainline. You are right in that they are an oddity as a lot of locos of late up here are just that. They are mostly from leasing companys who of course get their units mostly from US railroads. They even have some running around here without winterization hatches and getting away with it, guess it a good thing they're in Nova Scotia :D anyway here's a couple of the 45-2's
Hi Mathew, really thought out and it sounds feasible, I like both it and the paint scheme
icon14.gif

13.gif
Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
Matthew

Very nice research and great paint scheme. I wish I would have had that much talent and ambition at your age. Good post!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's the only one, the other 3 are in the Maroon and blue paint what's more interesting are the geeps IOR GSWR (GP7 rebuilds, ugliest locos I've ever seen) The model I'm doing now is of ( ex B&O Chessie Sys, ex Mid Michigan and CB&CNS) so we see some different colors than CN now days

13.gif
Willis

Thanks, everyone! Most of this stuff just came to me, so I guess I have a gift. I could have said more, but didn't want to be too 'wordy'
The APR also had a good number of SD45-2s
Matthew

Matthew

Are you considering APR to be a regional or a shortline? Also is your railroad going to be railfan friendly?

Keep us posted here for that super track plan when you get it done.

JeffShultz said:
Pretty paint scheme, looks like a fairly well thought out history, although I have to wonder at a railroad that uses "mostly SD45s" - that makes them pretty unique north of the border, doesn't it?

Maybe so, but MRL still uses SD45s with the 20 cyl prime movers. A lot of the leasers have the 16-645 in them now, so they're really SD40-3s.

Kennedy

HaggisKennedy said:
Maybe so, but MRL still uses SD45s with the 20 cyl prime movers. A lot of the leasers have the 16-645 in them now, so they're really SD40-3s.

Kennedy

I thought I read in Trains that they were going to start phasing them out as they get the new GE's, another Utah Belt sellout ;) (and no let's not start that war here) OR are those new EMD's they bought at MRL? I like MRL, they are one of those railroads that could stories.

I really like your use of maps to show how your pike relates to the other rail lines. I'll have to revise my own 'history', since my private pike is supposed to be only a shadow of its former self (swallowed by CSX after teetering on the edge of bankruptcy).

Sorry about the sellout war on the other forum.
SD70ACes are about the best thing to replace the SD45s, and we are using them to about the same extent (In terms of numbers, not %) as MRL, but they have custom cabs so they aren't so ugly.
I'll probably use a generic style trackplan, as it's hard to acess a lot of the route.
Matthew

Back