What do you do for a living?

defense contractor doing research work on an international tribunal for the state department and the navy.

not really what i want to do with my life, but i can't complain.

I work in I.T., I'm a Network Engineer working as a consultant for AT&T and TIAA-CREF, management and security for their data networks.

I can't wait to retire! hmm in maybe a few, or 20yrs...;)

Maybe this thread title should be renamed to: "What do you do to support your model train habbit?"

Software Engineer
Parent
God I wish I could retire...maybe someday

Last edited by a moderator:
Dispatcher and 911 operator for a commercial Ambulance Service.
Full time Husband and father of two little girls ages 3 years and 6 months.

QA Analysis
OK, you all can look at me with the same blank stare I get from the wife and everyone outside of Info Tech.
Basically, I break things. Computer software actually. I make sure it at does what it was designed to and more importantly what the user wanted it to. You're never given enough time, the users don't like it when you delay things. The developers get mad when you find their errors, and NOBODY is happy if you don't catch a problem before it goes live. My Super Chicken avatar above I use at work with his quote of 'You knew the job was dangerous when you took it' Sit on butt job but can be very stressful.

Im currently studying to became Technician in Aircraft Building, this is about airplane parts QC, supervisation of CNC machine, drawing structural component of airplane...

Got my Cisco certification and working part time as a computer&network tech, just today, we had a critical server failure and a damm virus spreading over the network and on usb drives...... spent my day installing over and over antivirus on many many pc, plus running for parts all around the city to build a new server :eek:

Hi all and Happy New Year!

I am an Account Manager for a UK Government Dept called UK Trade and Investment which according to our strapline "helps UK-based companies succeed in the global economy and assists overseas companies in bringing their high quality investment to the UK"

What I do within that is help small to medium size enterprises attend trade shows overseas as a means to help them export.
It gets me around a bit which is nice. Next trip is Washington DC at the end of this month! Anyone know of any modelrailroad stores in or near downtown DC?

Musical Genius Retired!

Taught Vocal/General Music k-12 for 32 years after graduating from Eastman School of Music in '68. Also taught a few college level in-service courses to teachers from time to time. Worked in Outdoor Education with 2 different schools I taught in for many years. Camp Director for the Boy Scouts of America for a few years. Opened my own business doing live sound, DJing, and recording (mostly schools and churches) about 15 years ago.

Got the chance to take an early retirement from teaching at the age of 53. Did the math and found I would break even at best if I stayed to full retirement age. That and the fact that I have lost most of my hearing (Raised on a dairy farm and loved to drive tractor with no mufflers all day, and I did mention the live sound/DJ/recording thing...) so I took the offer and got into semi-retirement (still had the business). I am now in the process of removing my DBA in the next couple of months so I will be RETIRED!

I have also worked as an asst. greenskeeper (grunt) at a golf course, worked on a private garbage pickup route for a trailer park, summer hire for the phone company, pumped gas and did minor auto repair (tire changes, etc), and taught private voice and guitar.

Local service today includes the Boy Scouts of America (Unit Commissioner, Science and Technology committee, District Committee, and MB Councilor); Moderator of the the Board of Deacons at church; Treasurer of the Martin Luther King Committee; and Superintendent of the Division, LSD, NFR, NMRA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truck dispatcher for a family owned trucking comapny. And part time couter sales for a local NAPA auto store.

Chad, whats the company name? I may have dealt with you guys before. Im working for Con-Way Multi-Modal and we may have contracted you guys to move some loads for us before?

I have 2 jobs. 1st is my hobby shop and 2nd is working for Con-Way in the Multi-Modal division as a freight broker.

I am owner operator of Muskoka Computes and Hobbies in Huntsville, Ontario.

In the Computer department we repair and sell computers, sell computer accessories.

In the Hobby department we specialize in Model Railroad accessories, which we sell worldwide online.

Work for company that sells Computerized Woodcarving System called CarveWright doing sales & marketing. Haven't done much in the Model Railroad Market, but I think it would be perfect.

My father has had model trains since before I was born, but just recently after retiring and building a huge barn/garage/playshop, he has begun constructing his own layout.

I'm having fun finding stuff for him and turning him onto Railroading Newsletters and such.

Connie
www.carvewright.com

2 years USMC 1966-67, 1 year construction laborers union 511, 12 years Penn Central - Conrail locomotive engineer, 12 hours a day on engines left 1981, back to construction - local 235, 7 hour day retired from there April 2009.

NYC_George

For the last 12 years worked for Pasco County Parks and Recreation responsible for preparing and maintence of Baseball, Football, Soccer, LaCross, and all Sports fields found in a county park! Then on October 9th 2009 9 days before my 13th annv. I was layed off due to gross government mismanagement of tax moneys. So now I Own and Operate my Own Lawn Service (Shameless plug;) Hanson Family Lawn Service!) here in Spring Hill, Florida.

After 26 years in the Air Force, I did something similar. Went to work for Public Works here in Papillion NE and after a year as a "grunt", took over supervising all of the parks and green spaces. Did that for just over 13 years until a virus attacked both sides of my brachialplexus nerve bundles. Left me unable to do the job, so now I'm on disability and won't likely work full time again as I hit 65 at the end of this year.

I work nights for Home Depot working freight, used to work construction and heavy equipment til that died. I wouldn't recommend working for HD by the way:(

Back