What do you do for a living?

I served 9 years in the US ARMY until 91 after the gulf war when I got out, went to college, floundered for a few years and finally settled into a career with the Home Depot. I am currently the specialty sales manager for Home Depot in north Ga. But I have done a bit of everything along the way. What an interesting bunch of careers on here!

Computer graphics operator for the Indianapolis CBS affiliate (going on 28 years here, 6 years at previous station). Same job for the NFL's Indianapolis Colts -- 15 years for their pre-season telecasts, 8 years for the stadium TV crew on game days. Same job as part-time freelancer, have worked about any sport you can imagine, but specialize in football and basketball. May sound glamorous, but it isn't... way too many "supervisors" who think the best way to get results is to hit the door screaming and cursing, and they get worse as the day goes on. Not doing too much freelancing any more, as I'm pretty well done with the screamers and cursers... but still enjoy working for the Colts!

Oh, one more -- full-time (small-scale) lottery player (less than $10/week), hoping to hit "the big one" so I can retire AND have enough $$$ to keep model railroading!!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

I'm a junior in high school but I currently work at the golden arches. When I graduate I'd like to attend the state fire academy and become a professional firefighter.

Pilot for another 16 days. First furlough in a decade coming up. 2010 is going to be tough in this crippling economy.

Steam Locomotive Mechanic, Machinist, Fireman, Engineer etc. Worked for the Grand Canyon Railway in 2008. Was on #29s last run. Sadly left there when they ended steam in late 2008.

Other than doing what ever I wanted, per my previous post, I was letterhead press operator, crewleader(quasi-foreman), and flexo-graphic printer operator, then the factory closed. Went back to school at the age of 27 earned a degree in architectural engineering(do not read that I am An architect. Those guys are Too Conceptual for me. I'm the guy that made everything work). Worked in design and layout for a few years, before accepting a position with a mechanical construction company as a site engineer. My claim to fame is the Farm Bureau building in Indianapolis for those of you that would like to drive by.

Also was part of the team that found critical flaws with the Marble Hill Nuclear plant that caused the project to be scrapped due to shoddy construction. Worked on "special projects" for the company, the Bank One rehab, Eli Lilly(one of the most intriguing places to work), and other major construction projects around the state. I left them when they wanted me to head a department(inside the office) that would have cut my income by losing all of my bonuses for coming in on time and under budget. Besides, I enjoyed working outside and the challenges of construction. (Remember the quote, " Well, It looked good on paper?")

I then went into retail management. I worked for Lowe's as a manager. I am now unemployed and looking.

All through this time I owned a car building shop, mostly hot rods, but did do some restorations. It started out as a hobby but mushroomed into a full time business. I also started a couple of niche businesses that were quite profitable. I sold all of them off in the past few years as my health, and energy, went south. Diabetes has taken its toll, and the back is a real pain(no pun intended).

I also have my Captains License from the USCG. It allows me to pilot boats for hire. I usually deliver boats from areas like the Great Lakes areas like the Gulf or East Coast for those with more money than sense. Definitely a "warm weather" job. I've battled ice on the Great Lakes to get a boat south. No fun at all. And the Chicago River is a cesspool.

Through it all, in my positions of management, and owning the businesses. I've been surround by great people. That is probably the part I miss most.....the people. They are the ones that made me successful. It was their devotion, energy, and work that made all of my success possible.

Bob

Currently, the Estimator for Satterwhite Log Homes, former draftsman for the same.

Before that, accounting assistant for a large local independent bank. Before that, assistant manager for Target. Before that, assistant manager then manager for (now defunct) Eckerd Drugs. The list goes on from there.

Blue collar is ok. Been a transport refrigeration technician for a large juice company in Bradenton, Fl for the last 12 years.

Im a freshman in High School, and with the exception of sports my only occupation is some volunteer/help work at the Fire Dept during the summer, i plan to work for the golf course this summer. For an actual job to support a family though i want to do something in law enforcemnt such as an environmental conservation officer, and volunteer exterior Fire Fighter.

Votech trained in auto technologies (grew up fixing and painting cars, and working on a farm) but instead of becoming a tech, wound up writing service then later as service manager for another dealership. Then when the bottom fell out last year, I switched gears. Now a Service Manager for a tractor dealership, I'm seeing even more business now with a bad economy. Folks are dropping the lawn services and doing it themselves. But the still forget to do oil changes, just like they did with thier cars!:D

certified sidewalk santa - in the off season im a call center training instructor for an airline.

only kidding about the santa thing - although my wife thinks i have the gut for it.

Back