What Diesel Locomotive would you like to see..

BCK RR

Out of curiosity what Diesel Locomotive would you like to see from the model RR manufacturers and what Era 1960's - 2000's? Opinions are quite welcomed.

BCK RR

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd really like to see Admiral Cab NS Units. Particularly the SD60E including the Veterans' Unit and the sd40-2s.

Brad

Out of curiosity what Diesel Locomotive would you like to see from the model RR manufacturers and what Era 1960's - 2000's? Opinions are quite welcomed.
Last time this topic came up I wanted the SDP45 and Athearn made it. So I don't really have a "need" at the moment. The only thing I can think of that I want is really strange that they will never do. I want a Missouri Pacific RS-3 rebuild with an EMD prime mover. It had 4 tall exhaust stacks.

Here is my short list that I would like to see all in Conrail and from the 80's and 90's.

C30-7a
C32-8
C39-8
C36-7

Amtrak and Commuter
FL9
P30CH

G'day.....Already modelled by most manufacturers but the SD40-2....done really well and maybe more as a beaconed version , like how most are done for switching duties..How ironic is that...SD really stands for "Special Duties" but nowadays could easily mean "Switching Duties".....Also the somewhat rarer SD60s would be nice if modelled more..What a shame Athearn have 'Retired' the Montana Rail Link SD70ACe 's at the moment...Beaut looking model too....Cheers Rod..

G'day Carey...slightly off topic , a little bit ...How much does a decent brass model cost ?...I can honestly say I've never investigated the possibilities in this regard...but they'd generally be really expensive , very very nice though...Cheers Rod...

Well, given what the cost of new locos is nowadays, it almost doesn't matter what comes out. It seems it's all limited run anyway, and if you don't preorder it, you won't get it. On a personal level, I've been priced and "technologied" out of the new locomotive and rolling stock markets anyway!

If you can afford it, then go for it and hope that some manufacturer brings out what you are looking for!

Photoman475

Photoman475

A Burlington E5A and B with DCC & sound
Oh, I forgot about that one. I could use a full Fleet of those. What is that 11As and 6Bs?

And now that you got me thinking about E units. I would really like the Missouri Pacific E7s with round port holes instead of the square windows to put on the point of the Colorado Eagle.

The Burlington E5A is available in brass. It has a modern mech, and flywheels. It was built by Samhongsa I believe. The one my CB&Q modeler friend has, is nickel plated. Its a very nice diesel. You can find them occassionally on E-bay.

The Burlington E5A is available in brass. It has a modern mech, and flywheels. It was built by Samhongsa I believe. The one my CB&Q modeler friend has, is nickel plated. Its a very nice diesel. You can find them occassionally on E-bay.

I checked and don't see any for sale. I built my own from a Proto2000 E6. I added styrene corregated sides, but didn't try to rearrange the windows. If I can figure out how to post the photo, I will. I run it with an E8/9 because I need the power to get up a 3 percent grade with a six-car mixed plastic and aluminum body cars for my Denver Zephyr. Biggest problem I have with the P2K's is cracked axles. So far so good with the E5.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we're talking about model engines, then I'd say the SDL39 would be my top choice, followed closely by the SD10. Those don't seem to have a large following though.

If we're talking about model engines, then I'd say the SDL39 would be my top choice, followed closely by the SD10. Those don't seem to have a large following though.

What is an SDL39 and an SD10? I've never heard of either of these before...Please clarify?

Back