What causes the sparking of the wheels?

KB02

As I have finally gotten my first real layout up and running, I have taken stock of all the engines and cars that I have accumulated over the years. I have a total of 6 engines (okay... 5 engines and a trolley) and was actually able to run them all on my layout. I have one that works well a Bachman GP40, the rest are all pretty beat up (and a couple are basically useless).
My questions comes in regards to an old engine that I have that is probably close to 30 years old. It's a diesel engine that was Made in China. Other than Amtrak being printed on the side, these are the only words I can find on this old thing, so I couldn't tell you to manufacturer. Where my GP40 will go all around the layout with hardly any hesitation at all, it took about 5 minutes of pushing and prodding the Amtraker to get it to complete a lap unassisted. once it was finally running on it's own (the best, actually, that it has run since I owned it as a kid), as I watched it run around the track, there was a nearly constant blue glow of sparks between the rails and wheels. My long term plan is to re-paint this guy and have it as a shunter in a yard somewhere, but why would this one be the fire hazard that it is while my GP40 never sparks at all?

Sorry, HO Scale. Standard power supply that comes with most oval sets at the toy store.

Hey KB02,

It could be just dirty wheels arcing as the they lose electrical contact with the rails. Clean them with rubbing alcohol and a lint free rag. If the dirt has really hardened try using a sharp blade and scrape them clean. If you have ever scraped an automotive gasket off its the same idea. be carful not to cut yourself. You can use the rubbing alcohol and lint free rag to clean your tracks too.

Glad to hear you have your layout up and running!

Get your NMRA track and wheel gauge out and check the wheelsets on the loco. Then check the track gauge if it is sparking in a particular location. Then clean the wheels and track. How does the engine pickup power from the wheels? Wipers or brass bushings?

Hobby shops have a red tool with bronze bristles (two sides insulated) with clip leads clean your wheels with one of those. Also make sure your track is clean. There is a thing thats called a "bright boy" looks like a school erasure. Works wonders, for that matter a school erasure works too.

Sparks are caused by sporadic contact with wheels and rails, clean, clean, clean!

Good luck and have fun.

Okay, so, since cleaning seemed to be the common, underling theme, that's what I dove into last night. The first engine I ever had was an 0-6-0 steamy that has rubber bands around the rear set of wheel for extra traction. I THOUGHT that's what this engine had too, at first, until I realized it was just dirt. :rolleyes: Needless to say, you all were right that it needed to be cleaned. :eek: The simple cleaning, though, turned into minor (major?) surgery during which I found I actually had a broken axel. It's a 4-4 unit where the front 4 are the pick-ups and rear 4 are the drivers. I still have some more cleaning to do, but I'll get there.

AND, I stand corrected. It was NOT made in China. It was made in Yugoslavia. :)

Glad to hear you are making progress!

Cleaning and maintenance are always good, they may not always solve the problem but they are never a waste of time.

Keep us posted!

Back